What's for dinner ?

This may be regional, but if it is in small town alabama, surely it is in other places. I recently found this Thai kit at walmart (sorry forget the name but it is some type of coconut something.) that comes with chicken and sauce, all you have to do is make some rice (might want to throw in some small potatoes to give it a little something extra as well). It is very tasty, the main sauce in it is a sweet chili sauce.

I stumbled across this also and thought it was great.

E

One of my favorites

King Ranch Chicken

1.5 lbs chicken
1 medium bag taco doritoes
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can of rotel tomatoes
grated cheese

Cut chicken in cubes cook and season to taste. Combine soups and rotel, mix well. Line the bottom of a large casserole dish with doritoes, crush if you like. Place chicken on doritoes. Pour soups over chicken. Top with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 to 45 minutes. The cheese will bubble in the center when done. Let cool for a few minutes to thicken. I use frozen skinless chicken breasts and thaw in microwave enough to cut into squares then cook in skillet.

You can use ground beef instead of chicken. With the beef I like to add chopped bell pepper and onion.

Side dish: Get a can of green snap beans and a package of bacon. Take 4 or five beans per half slice of bacon. Wrap the bacon around the beans securing with a toothpick. Lightly season with salt and pepper. Put on aluminum foil and bake in oven until done.

Beer can chicken: get a whole chicken a cut the skin off. Season with Season salt, salt, pepper, lemon pepper, ect (basically anything you can find, and also coat with some spray butter. Take a can of whatever beer you enjoy, pop the top and take a sip. Insert nearly full can into bottom of the chicken. They make racks that the can sits on to prevent tipping. Grill for about 1 hour or an hour and a half while spraying more butter during the grilling process.

A good topping for a ribeye steak: Right before you get ready to take it off of the grill, coat the top of it with blue-cheese, bacon, and a mixture of shredded cheese. Let melt as you finish grilling. Sounds odd, but just something I hit on one night. Shakes up the ordinary steak night.

+1

Herdez knocks the socks off of that NYC salsa and is 10 times better than Pace. I am also a fan of La Victoria.

La Victoria is just OK. Pace is watered down catsup with a few mild peppers thrown in. Many of the others are watered down, SUGARED catsup. :( A real salsa needs a good dose of Garlic, Cilantro, real chilis, and specialized flavors.

Frustrated because they don't sell it in the stores here, even in the hispanic market. Good ol Tex-Mex just isn't around. Best I have found so far is the Private Selections Salsa Grande - Cilantro or Corn salsa.

I kinda liked the Safeway brand garlic salsa, but no Safeways here. Same with the Whole Food's 365 brand Salsa. And where are all those wonderful local brands, like Sting and Linger?

Miike, bring a case of something good with you. Puleeze!

Beer can chicken: get a whole chicken a cut the skin off. Season with Season salt, salt, pepper, lemon pepper, ect (basically anything you can find, and also coat with some spray butter. Take a can of whatever beer you enjoy, pop the top and take a sip. Insert nearly full can into bottom of the chicken. They make racks that the can sits on to prevent tipping. Grill for about 1 hour or an hour and a half while spraying more butter during the grilling process.

You know, I've done this and it was quite honestly one of the best grilled chickens I've ever had. If using a gas grill with three burners, I recommend cooking over indirect heat. (two side burners only and the chicken in the middle.):hungry:

You know, I've done this and it was quite honestly one of the best grilled chickens I've ever had. If using a gas grill with three burners, I recommend cooking over indirect heat. (two side burners only and the chicken in the middle.):hungry:
Good tip, I should have put that in there.

It does make for a juicy bird:up

Here is how I like bbq ribs. A friend of mine who is a chef shared this technique with me.

1. Put rack of ribs in a pan lined with aluminum foil or foil roasting pan. (Its hard to clean)
2. Fill it with apple juice until it just reaches the top of the ribs.
3. Coat the top of the ribs with sugar (makes a good crust)
4. Cook in the oven at 250 for 4 hours.
5. Put on the grill and slop on the bbq sauce

I know it sounds a little strange but they are awesome.

Costco / Sams frozen foods is a goldmine for quick meals.. one of my favs is the new zealand frozen lamb shanks and individual edemame servings.. about 6 minutes for the lamb and 2 for the edemame in the microwave and you have a good tasty meal..

BTW.. that rib procedure sounds awesome.. can't wait to try it..

Here's a favorite of mine:

CHICKEN SALTIMBOCCA

4 chicken thighs, bone and skin removed (thick is better, Wallymart meat sucks for this)
4 fresh sage leave
4 strips of fontina cheese (each 1/2" wide x 2" long x 1/4" thick)
4 slices of bacon
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tsp fresh lemon juice

1. Pound each chicken piece between pieces of wax paper to 1/4" thickness. Place 1 sage leaf in center of cut side of each thigh. Top sage with cheese strip. Fold thigh in half to enclose filling. Wrap bacon slice around each thigh and secure with wooden picks. Coat chicken in flour.

2. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat. Add chicken. Brown 5 minutes per side. Remove chicken. Add broth to skillet and scrape up browned bits. Return chicken to skillet.

3. Reduce heat to low. Cover skillet and simmer chicken 5 minutes or until tender and no longer pink (170F). Stir in lemon juice.

Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serves: 4

Recipe by Try-Foods International

Pinto Beans
Rinse, clean out bad looking or half beans and rocks etc...
Soak for a few hours in water.
Depending on the size of your cooker:
Heat 2-3 Earl Cambell Hot- Hot links in Microwave till the skin starts splitting(can be chopped up if desired).
Add a strip or two of bacon cooked if desired.
Add 2-3 Hatch Green Chiles diced.
Place all of the above in a slow cooker and for me (Hard Water) I top with distilled water and cook on low for 8-9 hours...

Here is how I like bbq ribs. A friend of mine who is a chef shared this technique with me.

1. Put rack of ribs in a pan lined with aluminum foil or foil roasting pan. (Its hard to clean)
2. Fill it with apple juice until it just reaches the top of the ribs.
3. Coat the top of the ribs with sugar (makes a good crust)
4. Cook in the oven at 250 for 4 hours.
5. Put on the grill and slop on the bbq sauce

I know it sounds a little strange but they are awesome.

I've done this before and they are phenomenal.

I've done this before and they are phenomenal.

Me too...you can also substitute the apple juice and sugar with a just plain old coca-cola and the acidic cola sweetens and tenderizes it at the same time. You just have to cut the cooking time in the oven to about 1 hour, or you'll be left with cola-rib stew and bones...:eek:

Last edited:
Me too...you can also substitute the apple juice and sugar with a just plain old coca-cola and the acidic cola sweetens and tenderizes it at the same time. You just have to cut the cooking time in the oven to about 2 hours, or you'll be left with cola-rib stew and bones...:eek:
I am going to try this. Are you using baby backs?