What's happening with the Sat Launch?

I had a really bad feeling something like this was going to happen. This is too bad. Maybe they'll try to free up some space by converting all HD to MPEG4. Of course, look on the bright side, they might just turn on Sci-Fi and USA earlier to keep customers from jumping ship. :hungry:

The satellite failed to reach the planned orbit.

I think i'm gonna be sick.....

All of the negative-noos here should be positive.

There have been a few satellites placed in unplanned orbits that have been able to be put into geosync orbit and serve a useful, yet very shortened life.

Until I've found a news item/source that puts AMC-14 in an orbit that can't be fixed with on-satellite engines/thrusters or in an orbit with a perigee that means reentry is imminent, I am going to stay upbeat that AMC-14 can be salvaged with a useful yet very shortened lifetime until another plan can be put into action for AMC-14's replacement.

All of the negative-noos here should be positive.

There have been a few satellites placed in unplanned orbits that have been able to be put into geosync orbit and serve a useful, yet very shortened life.

Until I've found a news item/source that puts AMC-14 in an orbit that can't be fixed with on-satellite engines/thrusters or in an orbit with a perigee that means reentry is imminent, I am going to stay upbeat that AMC-14 can be salvaged with a useful yet very shortened lifetime until another plan can be put into action for AMC-14's replacement.

You keep those good thoughts, sunshine.

Anyone know about how long it takes to get a replacement satellite built and launched?
It's not like this is the first time this has happened, so I assume there must be some sort of historical reference/average.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

I wonder if he gives up on HD and just goes for the low-cost DBS provider. Just try to trim costs, stick to leveraging the DVR (if tivo doesn't shut them off) and try to milk the lower end of the market. I don't think its a good idea as the telecom and cable groups are feeding in that area, but it may be the only strategic option left since Dish won't be able to compete head-to-head with D*

I agree wholeheartedly on this. Dish Network will not be able to compete head to head with DirecTv with offerings such as HD so they will have to -- > DROP < -- their prices or start LOSING subscribers to DirecTv. They will have to offer the same thing DirecTv has or something that they do not have to have some type of edge over them, whether it be the same or more content, or cheaper pricing to attract customers. You would not believe how many people would switch providers over a $10 savings per month. Time for Dish Network to make some adjustments in their overpriced programming packages. They could probably even give $5 per month price drop and still gain a lot of subscribers as money talks. There are probably just as many customers to gain by having lower prices as there are by having the additional HD content. They could use the money saved by not paying to have the additional HD content to pass along those savings to the customers.

The first photos are in:

hindenburg.jpg

I like Digi's idea better.. Just send everyone MPEG 4 receivers and turn 119/110 into the all new MPEG 4 service. Probably would be quicker than getting a new satellite up.

Guys, can you stay on-topic ?
We are sobbing about the sat launch, but not about the mythical plans !

Open a new thread and post all your suggestions and personal plans how to make Dish better.

I'm not sure I would be referring to myself as a "blue dot". That's a term used to describe sex offenders who appear on the Megan's Law web site. :eek:

I'm not sure what's worse.. The fact that I said that could be taken out of context, or the fact that you know that instance as one way it could be. :)

Either way I'm a blue dot on the locals map.. As in 'end of year'.. I think it probably means "End of 2010" now.. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)