Whats up with this web site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryah

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Bartlesville,OK
I really enjoy this site, but it is soooo sloooow! Takes forever for a page to load. I dont have that problem on the other sites. Anyone know what the problem is?

install firefox, get the adblocker plus plugin
you should see a 100000000x speed increase

ok maybe not that much, but it will get alot faster

I've been noticing slowdowns on a lot of forums that have recently upgraded to vBulletin 4. This one not as bad as others, but slower than vB3 nonetheless. There might be a database issue with the upgrade.

Im using Firefox with ABP.

I've been noticing slowdowns on a lot of forums that have recently upgraded to vBulletin 4. This one not as bad as others, but slower than vB3 nonetheless. There might be a database issue with the upgrade.

Im using Firefox with ABP.

does it occur on sites with ads? ive traced a few issues on other sites to the ads

FF for me, no ad block, and the site runs fine. OP, have you run anti-virus and spyware recently? How about a reboot of your computer and modem, if you have one.

Moved to operation center. I know two things, Scott is still working hard on the site since the upgrade to VB4. Also, sometimes ads cause slowdowns (but are necessary to pay for the sites bandwith), and Scott offers the site with significantly less ads for Pub Members, which is only $20 a year, and right now $10 of it goes to St. Judes. Something to consider if you visit here daily, plus you get access to the latest info in the pub.

Running fine here, FF , no add block.

It was slow back when Scott was making all the recent changes, but it's been very good since then.

Things have been running GREAT since the upgrade. Its the fastest the site has ever run. :)

But there can be variables which may effect your performance that is out of our control.

For example all our images and javascript files are served via cloud servers located around the globe. When you view the site it grabs the images and java from the cloud server which is closest to you. The cloud server run really good, but I have seen times where a cloud server was having an issue and thus causing a slower load.

If your not a supporter you see all the ads, the ads slow down the loading of the site greatly. We need the ads in order to survive unfortunately. I do monitor the ad networks and most perform well, however sometimes there is an ad network which does not perform like it should, we had one of those unfortunately and this morning I terminated my contract with one ad network because their serving was so poor, in addition this particular ad network started serving us ads with sounds that play automatically and pop behinds. I DON'T WANT THAT CRAP HERE so that ad network is GONE.

As Jason mentioned we are having a special at the moment to become a supporting Pub Member which gets rid of the ads, its $19.99 a year (and from now through Monday $10 of that gets donated to the kids with cancer at St. Jude Children Hospital. So you might want to consider that.

Someone else mentioned using an ad blocker and while those work I don't recommend them because it takes money away from the site to pay the bills and in addition some of the java blockers actually break some of the site functions. When we upgraded our software I tried putting the ads in the most unobtrusive places while keeping them in areas which are required by our contracts with our ad networks. I feel they were much more obtrusive before. If too many people use ad blockers so that we can't pay the bills then I will be forced to turn on the blocking software which will make the site only display the first post of a thread if you have ad blockers turned on. This is NOT something I want to do and I hope I never have to do it, so please use ad blockers responsibly.

So those things might cause a slowness issue. But as far as our servers go and our software that we run, it is running better then ever.. (Knock on wood!) :)

Thanks Scott. I think it must be all the ads loading. My computer and work connection are not the best, but I am comparing it to other sites I go to. I think I will look into joining the site...I already send St Judes money each month, but Im sure they can use $10 more. Really enjoy the site, and check it daily. Love DTV!

Wish I could say it works great for me, but it is awful. I'm using FF 3.6.13, and ABP is installed (but disabled on satelliteguys.us). Lower left of FF has 'Waiting for vb4.satelliteguys.us...' I've tried clearing cache, etc. Clicking on any forum name takes forever to load forum, then clicking on individual threads take forever to load. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Jeff

Let me contact our ISP that runs our cloud servers.

vb4.satelliteguys.us is our images and clientscripts which are served from cloud servers all around the country. Each area is served by a different cloud server so that you get the fastest delivery of those things... sounds like one is having an issue.

Are you in the Greenville, SC area still? (That will help them pinpoint where the issue might be.)

Let me contact our ISP that runs our cloud servers.

vb4.satelliteguys.us is our images and clientscripts which are served from cloud servers all around the country. Each area is served by a different cloud server so that you get the fastest delivery of those things... sounds like one is having an issue.

Are you in the Greenville, SC area still? (That will help them pinpoint where the issue might be.)

Yes, I am, let me know if there's anything I can do to help. And thanks!

Here is what I got back from the ISP.

Scott,

As far as I know there are no known issues in that area. I have
escalated this ticket out our engineers so they can take a look on the network
side of things. Also in future, please go to debug.netdna-cdn.com to confirm
datacenter being hit. Also a traceroute to debug.netdna-cdn.com, as well as
your cdnulr and origin url, and a link to an example file would be helpful for
debugging and trouble shooting.

Here is what I got back from the ISP.

Scott,

As far as I know there are no known issues in that area. I have
escalated this ticket out our engineers so they can take a look on the network
side of things. Also in future, please go to debug.netdna-cdn.com to confirm
datacenter being hit. Also a traceroute to debug.netdna-cdn.com, as well as
your cdnulr and origin url, and a link to an example file would be helpful for
debugging and trouble shooting.
In the Dallas area it took 12 min to go from page 1 to page 2 of this thread. Dial up no membership and currently IE8, may have to download FF or Chrome with AD BLOCK if that is what it takes to view your site. Alternative is stop visiting the site which also means no ad revenue.

In the Dallas area it took 12 min to go from page 1 to page 2 of this thread. Dial up no membership and currently IE8, may have to download FF or Chrome with AD BLOCK if that is what it takes to view your site. Alternative is stop visiting the site which also means no ad revenue.

Try this again, stupid vBulletin error popped up...

I think some ISPs are having issues. I visited the site on my own laptop here at work and there was some lagging with a couple of ads on the top of the board. The computer has FF and ADB, but it's set only to block the ads that appear in the post boxes on most mboards on the net.

On my work computer, the site loads fast since all our machines here at work have FF with ADBlock installed and they don't like the staff fiddling with the browser's settings and they discourage using sploder.

In the Dallas area it took 12 min to go from page 1 to page 2 of this thread.
There is something VERY wrong if it took 12 minutes to load a page even on dialup.

Do as the ISP says and try going to http://debug.netdna-cdn.com and report back which cloud server the images are being served from.

Then go to a dos prompt and do a tracert to debug.netdna-cdn.com and post those results

Also while at a dos prompt also do a tracert to www.satelliteguys.us and post those results as well.

This will show where the problem is. I can tell you the problem is not on our servers which are humming along very nicely. The issue is possibly a cloud server (which is doubtful) or something with the backbone from your ISP to our servers (which is more likely the case.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)