Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I originally posted this in the Pub area but since some of our FTA'ers aren't pub members, I'll post it here too....since most of y'all are like a 2nd family to me :)

Originally posted Monday

Yep...Old AT&T Mobility AKA AT&T formerly Cingular formerly AT&T Wireless decided to fire me today.

Typical large corporation political bull***t. So today I'm at work for about 2 hours and my boss comes over and says "when you're done, log off and come to my desk" (I work in a call center)...so I finish what I'm doing and go to her desk and she decides we're going to go somewhere else and starts walking a different way. Normally we use the office near her desk but she wants to go to a different spot....I already knew where this was going so I blurt out "oh guess you're taking me the scenic route before firing me huh? :D

So they decided to fire me because according to them I'm hanging up on customers. A week ago they asked about it because a couple calls there was nothing said and then the call would drop. I explained that my headset was bad. So they got me a new headset which sucked too but they wouldn't change it out. I said "what about the bad headset" and they tell me "no you're hanging up on customers". I just laughed and said "its pretty sad that you're going to fire someone who busts his ass and has good numbers because of a faulty headset yet there are people walking around here talking to their friends doing nothing that can keep their job? No wonder why AT&T is in the crapper for customer service" (by the way we are the bottom of customer service amongst the 5 biggest carriers). Sure we were union but apparently that doesn't mean sh*t. The union rep was in there and really did nothing but write down notes.

I guess it bothers me because my numbers are always good month in and month out yet they fired me for a bogus reason. I guess they didn't like when someone would prove their "reports" wrong month in and month out. I always said "its hard to run a bizness in 08 using 1996 technology"

so now the fun begins....finding a new job.

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. - :D

Hope ya find something suitable.
Just don't find anything for me. :cool:

I guess we'll have to make up a care package for ya.
Let's see, screw the bread 'n cheese.
You'll be wanting LNBs, coax, switches, and new receivers! - :eek:
We'll get right on that! :)

Sorry to hear that dude. I hope you got all those receivers with cash. I know I went through hell and back paying off a credit card just for my setup.

Hope you find something you enjoy doing. It's not like work when you are doing something you like :) Perhaps a local satellite install/help service? I wish we were back in the 80s (BUD days) when there were satellite shops everywhere!

Bummer, Iceberg. I always believe when one door close, another will open. With your skills you should not have any problem getting another job. My prayers are with you!
Everything happens for a reason.

I'm sorry to hear about this, Ice. It's a sign of our economic times that I don't like one bit. One the positive side, I think your area, the Twin Cites, etc have a lot of little technology places, as well as the large employers. I can't remember exactly where Eden Prarie is, but it seemed to be a mini-silicon valley, when I went over there on a training stint.
Around here, I know I could get a job as a cable tech, or DTV installer ( lots of openings ), but I'm too busy being retired to take on any more work.
Good luck , and stay positive.
:)

that sucks Iceberg. You should take the unemployment for as long as possible until you can find a job you will really enjoy. I am sure it will all turn out well for you!

I hate call centers

I hate call centers. I worked at a few and it just drives me up the wall. I have not found a good call center yet. Don't get me wrong. There is some people who seem to be really good at it. Like a used car sales person or something like that. They fit it like a glove. It does not help to have everything computerized either. I have had more than one call listened in on just to find out I was telling the truth. The machine would log a call and the person would hang up. Within whatever time it was to log the call. yet the techs say no there system works fine.

So what do I do now. What I always do. Computers. The call center jobs was just to fill in the spots of not having jobs. I don't program on computers. I keep busy with small things. LIke virus removal and junk. Though it isn't much fun. Just 80% of the time or so. Data backup and reload. Unless it is a business that really needs it cleaned up. Just depend how deap there pocket book is. As in per hour keyboard time for removal and I took more than a few hours to clean out the spyware. Hint get macs. LOL

Had one call center I never figured out how there pay scale was. I would be #1 call person at night but I had one manager that was horrible. The idea was you got #1 calls for whatever and you got more pay. But the way the system was setup. You would never get more pay. This was a survey center of all things. So they didn't have to follow the do not call list. Since they didn't sell anything.

However, the funny part is when you called and then somebody traced the number back. It was all hidden across circuits so they couldn't find out were the true call center location was. For customer protection. I guess that is okay. since I was told the call center for direct tv in boise has had more than one P.O. customer show up there.

Later,

Josh

Sorry to hear the bad news Iceberg, up here in Canada the Telcos are still downsizing and looking for any excuse to get rid of or encourage / push employees to "Take the newest retirememt package". After 31 years service I also left but at least I was able to negotiate the exit date. Hope you find something soon especially with your great experience!

I hate hearing such bad news...Sorry to hear it Ice.

I feel everything happens for a reason and sometimes it's unclear why. I think with your knowledge that you belong somewhere in the satellite industry. I'm thinking that there are not enough talented people out there that could do what you could.
Look at all the cable companies that need dish farms maintained for example.

Sorry to hear that Ice,
You will definitely find another job, I have my own business and a full time job. I have had my full time job as a Maintenance Supervisor since 1995. I have never had any "bad marks" for anything. I show up for work when I am sick and everything else. I run the maintenance in a 7story office buiding.

My boss (one of the building owners) called me in for a meeting telling me he was cutting my salary 60%!!, He said they were trying to "save money" and my pay got cut big time. (Here I thought I was getting a raise-LOL).

Good thing here is at least my business is doing good and I don't depend on that income for my living expenses. I however had to cut down on my toys (FTA stuff, Hot rod car parts, and now no motorcycle- for now anyway. I was getting ready to buy a new Kawasaki Ninja ZX-10R).

I am glad this happened before i went in debt on a 10K motorcycle!

I worked for AT&T a few years ago as a technician on their dial up internet sites.
They eventually went down the board firing all of us. Of course dial up was dying.

Sorry to hear about your experience, I will pray you find a new and better job....and You will.

Sometimes life is not fair. My father told me before he died things have a way of working out, and they have (that was 34 years ago). Life will throw you some curves but it's how we deal with them that makes us who we are. Good luck.

Sorry, Ice that

you lost your job. That is rough and stressful. I wish you luck and blessing in finding something new.

It seems to me that there are alot of people out there (me included) that need help with all kinds of things electronic (e.g. setting up wireless computer network at home, ethernet to the direct tv etc. etc.). There must be something you can do (your own business maybe) related to your aptitude in this area.

I have a friend who was fired; he was an older gentleman and it seemed devstating. He went on a preplanned family cruise anyway and met a developer, who hired him. The firing was the best thing that ever happened to him.

I do not mean to pontificate; I tell the story because I hope something similar happens for you.

(I have not posted much lately, as I got married; wives have a way of keeping us busy).

I would almost suggest boycotting AT&T --- But I and all of my close friends have already quit... AT&T changed my plan at least every other month without asking me. I never could figure it out. Boeing canceled their contract with them for the same reason. I talked to T-Mobile today to change a line -- NO problem. Rep there said for you to put in an application with them, list this forum as a reference. The hiring supr will probably check on it and be impressed! Most of us would recommend you -- Hacker wouldn"t but -- Thieves are they a good reference?

POP

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)