Wheeeee......I'm unemployed

Status
Please reply by conversation.
having a blast

I guess when you got hollered at for 4 1/2 years constantly at the last 2 jobs this one is very refreshing. You work at your own pace and you can kill time while waiting on hold for an agent to pick up (which can be scary)..I have a few "ideas" in the head (and on paper) about the setup while I'm waiting ;)

PLus after the 1st week of training I went from 8 to 4:30 to 9 to 6:30. Thursday the boss came over and said "do you like your schedule" and I was like "yeah". He asked if I wanted an earlier schedule. I guess the people waiting to get 8 to 4:30 were all approved and they were approving more if we wanted them. So now I'm back to 8 to 4:30 (traffic is easier to get home and to get there then at 9). :)

So week 3 starts tomorrow :)

"traffic is easier to get home and to get there then at 9" . That's for sure, traffic around your town must be pretty busy, even in Lansing ( much smaller than the Twin City area) , traffic around quitting time ( 4:30-6:00) was a nightmare.
I used to work 6:30-3:00 PM, which was very nice from the same perspective. Glad you're liking it so far . Nobody needs to hate their work, leads to ulcers and an early grave.
:)

Iceberg-

I am so glad things worked out! I can identify in so many ways. I did call center work for years and got quite burned out. I swore I wouldn't take another position like that again. I'm always impressed by those that can keep going doing it.

Being out of work sucks. My wife lost her teaching position this year, and my own job ends in two weeks. I'm hoping I get some of your good luck over here... I'm really panicking :confused:

Anyway, congrats! Keep us informed on all the raises & bonuses we know you'll get.

Forgot to mention last week that finally got some good news. Unemployment approved it so I got paid for 2 weeks (in MN you dont get paid the 1st week you have unemployment)

so I got a little extra money from AT&T :)
That’s great Iceberg! I tried out their iPhone last December only to find that my service was a "Dead Zone". Fancy phone but if you can't use it, why keep or pay for it. So I took it back the net day to get my money back. They wouldn't give me a 100% refund. Had some kind of small print about a re-stocking fee. Then I would get the AT&T bill each month saying that I had a credit due of $57.45. I thought I was going to finally get my full refund. I talked to them in January, took their name down and was promised that a check would be in the mail. Yeah Right! Each month I would get a bill showing credit due to me and I would call and talk to their supervisors. Every time I was promised a refund check would be sent out to me. So this last month I get the bill again and talk again to them because -60$ could come in handy at the gas pumps. The last time I talked to a supervisor they said sorry our mistake you're not getting anything! So good for you Iceberg for getting some money from such a crappy company like AT&T!! :clap
Tom

:)
PS. I have Alltel but hear that Verizon is buying them out. I can only hope now that Verizon is better then AT&T!!

Don't worry I hate AT&T in every since of the word. The best deal when it come to phone service is go with High Speed internet from Cox cable or any other cable service and then use a VOIP service such as Via Talk. Two phone lines for the price as one, each line has the same number. This is what i got and it is such a good deal.

Well after getting 2 weeks of unemployment AT&T decided to appeal it. So we had a conference call scheduled yesterday at 7:15 AM. Myself, the judge and the rep from AT&T. The judge calls both parties.

Judge calls me and says "I need to call you back in 10 minutes as I cant get a hold of the employer". So she calls back 10 minutes later and says they gave her a bad number to call but she wanted to talk to me anyways. Basically got my side of the story and then asked who brought the appeal. I said they did. Then she mentions that in their appeal I STILL WORK FOR AT&T. I almost chuckled and explained I was let go 6/16 at 9:54 central time and started a new job on 7/7. She also asked me what paperwork I got for the appeal and I explained all the paperwork I got on 7/26 (they appealed it 7/23). The judge mentions this "100 page document AT&T sent but since they didnt bother to tell me what it was I have no idea what it is". I asked if it was call records maybe and she said "I guess but since they didnt tell me what it was and didnt bother to give me a correct number to contact them with I guess I'm not gonna worry about it." (All the while I'm thinking "this judge kicks ass").

She threw out their appeal and considered it closed. She said they only way they could even attempt at appealing it again is if they didnt get the paperwork but "they appealed it so obviously they got the paperwork". I could tell the judge probably had gone through this before with AT&T. I thanked her, hung up and went to work :)

so I gets to keep my money :)

oh had a question for our folks in BC, Manitoba & Saskatchewan

What is this "government insurance" that they make you get in those 3 provinces? They told us you have ot get it but never expanded on it beyond that. Can someone explain for me please?

I am not positive, but I believe it is a government run insurance company in those areas, and consumers have no choice but to get it. They of course can also purchase a supplemental policy from a traditional insurer too.

The main result is supposedly rates are cheaper than through the traditional insurers, but the actual benefits that are associated with those rates are very lacking.

Car Insurance - Manitoba

I actually had to deal with Manitoba Public Insurance about a month ago.. We normally have a 10-14 day turn around on our claim recoveries. This claim had had been sitting at Manitoba 6 months and when I called to get the claim rolling they were just getting permission to issue a check.

The why is because they can, they are really under funded and they have set amounts and if your damages exceed that amount you can't sue them for the total. Kind of like Title 51 and self insured government entities in the US. You only have so many days to submit a claim and if you do, the government has so many days to reply to it and if they don't you can consider it denied. Then if you want to pursue you have to file suit for a judge to decide damages.

All that said, it is much cheaper than the rates we pay here in Ontario but yeah, I heard that making a claim is a scary thing. My brother lives in Manitoba and has had the run around from Public Insurance regarding a break in on his car.

It was the first time I had ever heard of this until a Canadian Trucking Company ran over a fire hydrant here in Oklahoma and I had to setup the claim. Then I had to research some as it was the first time I had to deal with a foreign country and what laws might apply.

Iceberg,
Congrats on your new job. I was worried when you posted that you were unemployed. I have seen peoples dreams and future go out the window because of unemployment. Thank God you are back on your feet and happier.

You have to work and buy satellite stuff-LOL.

Best Wishes
Trucker

I was wondering the other day about you and whether you found a new job. Glad to hear things are moving back in the right direction.

well this past Monday they bumped me up from dealing with just leases (and calling agents) to calling customers. I had to laugh as in the training I was in there and all of a sudden my sister walks in (yes we work together) and she's like "why you in here?" and I tell her "customer calls". They bumped her up too but she has been there since April :)

They have these numbers they want you to do (x amount of calls in a day with 98% accuracy) and if you achieve them consistently then they bump you up to the next thing. Some folks there didnt understand how I got to the next level (and a pay bump) in less than a month. Most of these folks have done things like retail or gas station work. I explained I use to do collections for AT&T so we called people all day so x amount of calls in a day is pretty easy to obtain :)

Calling customers is fun because I'm not asking for money...I just want your insurance info. Most people are cool with it.

Just reading this...sorry about reading it late.
You worked there over 4 years and all the Union rep did was take notes?
No warning of your unsatisfactory performance ..no PIP?
What did the head of the local say about it?
Did they have recorded proof of you hanging up?
You're in Canada?
I guess employers can fire for any reason they want to come up with?
Still the union should have been able to do something for you!

You worked there over 4 years and all the Union rep did was take notes?
nope was there a year
No warning of your unsatisfactory performance ..no PIP?
nope. no warning and it wasn't for unsatisfactory performance. It was for the supposed hanging up on customers

What did the head of the local say about it?
nothing...the union sent me a letter saying "if you need something call" but that was it

Did they have recorded proof of you hanging up?
They had calls but they couldn't "prove" I hung up. All they had were pages of calls and a few were for short time (30 seconds).

You're in Canada?
nope. the states
I guess employers can fire for any reason they want to come up with?
yep AT&T would fire folks were doing "too good". They told a few of us to "get our numbers down because its making the rest look bad".

Still the union should have been able to do something for you!

AT&T union was worthless. All they did was take our money.

Oh well that is done and gone and I kept my money for unemployment and loving the new job :)

Glad you like the new job.
Reason I'm interested, I also did the "Ma Bell thing" but in a different sub .
Retired with over 25 years.
Yeah I guess with only a year of NCS they could pretty well do what they wanted but it was usually with 6 mo. or less service.. We also had the "worthless coworkers" who would somehow stay even though they had reason to be terminated but were protected by the union. Sad what that co. has turned into. :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)