When To Adjust Declination on a Bud Mesh Dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks for the link Fred.
Thanks Al and jsattv.

When I first arrived at this site, I read the FAQ's above and the FAQ Ideas thread above and followed almost every link included in them.

I had almost forgotten about that video until jsattv wasn't able to understand from our verbal descriptions of what to do. Then I remembered the video. After that it was a quest to find it again.

Those other videos on that site are very informative too if you get time to watch all of them. :)

Hope it helps someone!

Due South For My Location

Let's try to simplify this. Move the dish and dish mount so both are pointing due south - toward the south pole. Then tighten the mount's bolts to the ground pole so it won't turn. Using the upper adjustment bolt, adjust the angle between the small rectangular tube welded to the back of the dish mount and the large rectangular tube that the dish pivots around. Make this angle 6.61 degrees. Don't worry about any other angles now just get that 6.61 degrees difference between those tubes. Tighten that adjustment nut tight on that upper adjustment bolt and don't touch it again. Now power the actuator to where you think a satellite is located. The 97 degree satellite should be close. Make sure your receiver is set to a channel that is transmitting a signal from the satellite. Using the large, lower adjustment bolt, move the dish up or down till you pick up the satellite. Once you pick up a signal, power the actuator left and right and adjust the large, lower adjustment bolt for the highest signal level. If you have no luck, move your LNB polarity/skew 90 degrees and try again. That should put you on the arc. Good luck.

I have a Question re Due South for my Location - Winnipeg, Canada. My South Satellite is Galaxy 25 / 97.0W. My Longitude West is at: -97.05. (Latitude = 49.92). I am currently seeing about 150 Channels out of the available 230 Channels on 97.0W (but many are repeated twice). So I know the Dish is likely very close to its highset point in the sky. When I use a compass it looks like I am at Due South when I point it at the C and Ku LNB's in the middle of the Mesh Dish from my backyard. So is it necessary to unbolt the Dish Mount and try to move it over a bit more to try and compensate for the 97.05 - 97.0 = 0.05 degrees the Dish may be off Before I try to adjust the Declination again for the required 6.61 degrees??

Question #2: The Dish East Limit seems to be way too far to the East when I cycle it with the Battery Charger powering the Actuator, do the East and West Limits matter right now, and will this have any bearing on the Declination Adjustment above that I need to adjust for first??

declination - a picture

I was looking through my bookmarks for something else, and ran across this picture.
It explains what declination is, why it is, and how to set it.
Hope it is of some small help.

edit: well, the words are confusing, but the picture is pretty clear. :)

So is it necessary to unbolt the Dish Mount and try to move it over a bit more to try and compensate for the 97.05 - 97.0 = 0.05 degrees the Dish may be off Before I try to adjust the Declination again for the required 6.61 degrees??

set the declination first then hopefully you will be through with that part never having to adjust it. now the being off .005 degrees this is something you will have to adjust later when you figure out how close on the arc you are.

do the East and West Limits matter right now, and will this have any bearing on the Declination Adjustment above that I need to adjust for first??

don't worry about the east & west limits until after declination is set then you can motor west and figure your west limit and figure out if your on arc then back to center and then eastward. this eastward move is the one you would have to be careful with, making sure you don't extend beyond the length of the arm.

The Dish East Limit seems to be way too far to the East when I cycle it with the Battery Charger powering the Actuator
I think when everything is set up it will feel more comfortable ... my dish tracks from 43W to 139W

Thanks a lot George and thanks Anole for the Declination pics. Very very cold here these days it was - 31 degrees below zero today, so I won't be adjusting the Declination again till it warms up a bit.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)