When will it be time to change the name of the site?

most movies right now are bad and/or not interesting enough for people to feel an immediate need to go see them so they just wait until they are released at home

That's certainly true for me. I think Napoleon looks interesting, but I'm not going to pay $16 for a ticket, $12 for popcorn and $9 for a soda when I can wait 2 months and watch it on the couch.

I used to wait in line at the theater to see releases of movies like Lord of the Rings (the 2000's versions), and all of the Bond films, but there hasn't been anything compelling enough for me in the past 5-10 years.

Reactions: MikeD-C05 and Bobby
As far as all movies doing poorly, that isn't really true. Oppenheimer and Barbie (actually released the same day this year from different studios) both did waaaaay above expectations $950 million and 1.38 billion, respectively. I think the real problem is that most movies right now are bad and/or not interesting enough for people to feel an immediate need to go see them so they just wait until they are released at home.
Domestic Box Office from 2015-2019 was over $11 Billion a year average.

This year, a tad over $8 Billion, with a month to go, definitely doubt it will hit $9 Billion.

I doubt next year will be much better, the strikes have delayed so much, only one Marvel movie, still no Star Wars movie until 2026, no Avatar, etc.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
That's certainly true for me. I think Napoleon looks interesting, but I'm not going to pay $16 for a ticket, $12 for popcorn and $9 for a soda when I can wait 2 months and watch it on the couch.

I used to wait in line at the theater to see releases of movies like Lord of the Rings (the 2000's versions), and all of the Bond films, but there hasn't been anything compelling enough for me in the past 5-10 years.
Well, that period of time was the golden age of Comic Book films, Civil War, Guardians, Infinity War, and Endgame. The later two will never be topped.

They seriously need to get the Marvel people to do the Star Wars movies and generate decent films in that galaxy.

There are still a number of movies I'd like to see in the theater. I really like the big screen experience, but there are two things keeping me away.

1. Way-to-long movies like Oppenheimer (haven't see it yet). Need to bring back the intermission.
2. My hearing makes it extremely painful to watch movies in the theater anymore. Not sure if it is somehow related to my tinnitus, but very loud, high pitched noises cause me extreme pain.

Then again, maybe it is just one thing keeping me away: my age.

I'm not going to pay $16 for a ticket, $12 for popcorn and $9 for a soda when I can wait 2 months and watch it on the couch.

But you’ll miss the shared movie experience. You’d have to get someone to make your floors sticky, and ringing cell phones and people talking throughout. And maybe a sound system installed by Edison himself with no maintenance since.

But you can get expensive popcorn delivered!

I've been to a theater 3 times this year, Avatar, Mission Impossible and Indiana Jones. That is more than usual for me, I prefer the comfort of my own living room. But I was overruled. ;)

We went to Roadhouse Cinema, a smallish chain with recliners and service at the seats for food and drinks. Actually quite clean and comfortable and I didn't notice any distractions from the other patrons. Afternoon showings are $10.95. Don't recall how much the popcorn was.

I still prefer my living room but it is possible to have an enjoyable time at a theater.

Love and Thunder made some think he jumped the shark, but I really enjoyed where they went with that. The goats were so over the top, but in a good way. Certainly not too hard to make a better Star Wars movie... but they need to go where they haven't treaded before. Rogue One worked but was suffocated with the constraints of the previous arc.

Unfortunately Kathleen Kennedy is running things for Star Wars. I doubt we will see any improvement while she is around.

Finally got around to watching Love and Thunder a couple nights ago. Guess I forgot about it. Fun couple of hours, which is the point for me.

Finally got around to watching Love and Thunder a couple nights ago. Guess I forgot about it. Fun couple of hours, which is the point for me.
While it wasnt my favorite Thor movie, as it was a little over the top silly, it was meant to be from the perspective of Korg, which made the silliness make more sense.

My wife and I with our two daughters tried to enter a local theater to watch Killers of the Flower Moon courtesy of our daughter's employer. I was surprised when we got our tickets and entered the lobby where I was stopped by an usher and told I could not take my walker into the theater. Since I can't walk without it, we asked for the manager. He looked to be about 20 years old, and backed up the usher's edict. Disappointed, we asked for our passes back and left. When I emailed the AMC theaters management about the situation, informing them it was a violation of the ADA. They wrote back and apologized, asking for my address so they could send me a free ticket and coupon for a free popcorn and drink. Sure, that made it all better. :)

My wife and I with our two daughters tried to enter a local theater to watch Killers of the Flower Moon courtesy of our daughter's employer. I was surprised when we got our tickets and entered the lobby where I was stopped by an usher and told I could not take my walker into the theater. Since I can't walk without it, we asked for the manager. He looked to be about 20 years old, and backed up the usher's edict. Disappointed, we asked for our passes back and left. When I emailed the AMC theaters management about the situation, informing them it was a violation of the ADA. They wrote back and apologized, asking for my address so they could send me a free ticket and coupon for a free popcorn and drink. Sure, that made it all better. :)

That's awful. I'm sorry you had to undergo that.

Love and Thunder made some think he jumped the shark, but I really enjoyed where they went with that. The goats were so over the top, but in a good way. Certainly not too hard to make a better Star Wars movie... but they need to go where they haven't treaded before. Rogue One worked but was suffocated with the constraints of the previous arc.
I wasn't a fan of Love and Thunder, despite loving the first three Thor movies. Taika can make an excellent movie if he wants to and isn't spread too thin at the time. L&T felt phoned in compared to a lot of his other work, like he was just collecting a paycheck.

Only movie I saw in a theater this year was Guardians of the Galaxy 3. I may go see the new Wonka movie next month as I am a lover of all things Wonka.

There was nothing else I wanted to see.

What?! Are you sure you were using a walker and not mistaking a large popcorn stand as a walker?

NYDutch: This is my walker!
Usher: It clearly is a popcorn stand sir. Yes, it can be used as a walker, but we aren't required to allow you to use it as a walker.
NYDutch: *scoops out popcorn into a bag, squirts butter on it* This is an outrage! *munch munch*
Usher: Can you please tell you daughter to stop trying to find a place to plug in the slushy machine.
NYDutch: That's my wife's walker!

Hopefully the management will require attending a very long and even more boring seminar on ADA and complying with it's requirements... and generally being a decent human being.

What?! Are you sure you were using a walker and not mistaking a large popcorn stand as a walker?

NYDutch: This is my walker!
Usher: It clearly is a popcorn stand sir. Yes, it can be used as a walker, but we aren't required to allow you to use it as a walker.
NYDutch: *scoops out popcorn into a bag, squirts butter on it* This is an outrage! *munch munch*
Usher: Can you please tell you daughter to stop trying to find a place to plug in the slushy machine.
NYDutch: That's my wife's walker!
LOL!!!
Hopefully the management will require attending a very long and even more boring seminar on ADA and complying with it's requirements... and generally being a decent human being.
I agree... Re-training regarding the ADA is what I was hoping to hear from the management.