When will it be time to change the name of the site?

Yeah. The OP should surf the various forums. There aren't many conus forums out there for this hobby. And it is a niche for real. I like the present name and don't really see a reason to rename it.
Consider me a "geek" of sorts. We need others that share the same interest to bash heads with once in awhile.
I vote to change the name to www.satelliteguys.us
Oh. Waitaminnit. It's that already. And working just fine. Some pretty cool folks here too.

I don't see satellite going anywhere. Sure we may see one or both companies file for bankruptcy, but they will still exist in one form or another.

New Satellites are being made (at least one announced) so they expect a future.

Are satellite tv's glory days behind us? Sadly yes, but its still its got a long future ahead of it.

Now about that Hopper 4.... Hmm... Lol.
I agree but I suppose it depends on how narrow minded technically one is. Satelliteguys is not just about DirecTV and Dish Network. It is about satellite as a tool to distribute TV and data in all forms.

This is for Bruce mainly: If you broaden your thinking to include satellites as a technology, then even streaming uses satellites to distribute the medium. Most recently we have the growing popularity of Starlink from SpaceX. To rename the site as just Streamingguys would be too narrow minded focus for this diverse group here. Satellite technology is in the broadest sense, is a tool for every aspect of this site created by Scott. This includes the several threads in the Pub about Tesla and EV's as they make use of satellites for the data being collected by the cars back to the Tesla computers.

With the exuberance that some have for Cable /Sat traditional TV to go away ....
They post how each is dropping in numbers, I think they should REMOVE from the numbers ALL the Cable/Sat / Traditional that are included in those numbers.

Meaning, how do the numbers stack up for those Streamers that Do NOT have Other as well ...
And the other way around ... there are tons of people that have Cable/Sat/ Traditional that ALSO have some form of Streaming ... and They get counted in Both cases.

How many have JUST streaming ???

Then again, those numbers will be high because we have a whole generation or two that don't know what traditional TV was.

• Haha
Reactions: meStevo
With the exuberance that some have for Cable /Sat traditional TV to go away ....
They post how each is dropping in numbers, I think they should REMOVE from the numbers ALL the Cable/Sat / Traditional that are included in those numbers.

Meaning, how do the numbers stack up for those Streamers that Do NOT have Other as well ...
And the other way around ... there are tons of people that have Cable/Sat/ Traditional that ALSO have some form of Streaming ... and They get counted in Both cases.

Easy to figure out-

There are 131 Million Households in the United States

Cable/Satellite total as of 3rd Quarter-56,772, 281 ( they had 100 million in 2016)
Internet Live TV-14,697,000

Total of Live TV Subscribers-71,469,281

Total of those without Live TV-59,530,719

So those that might be streaming only would be 74,227,719 (17,455,438 more then Cable/Satellite) that includes those without Live TV and those that get it from services like YTTV.

Also, it is impossible to figure out those few that get neither, no streaming, just a antenna or go without and reads books all the time
Then again, those numbers will be high because we have a whole generation or two that don't know what traditional TV was.
Yep.

As I pointed out before, we have the cord cutters, largely the 35-60 age range

The cord nevers, under 35, will never want/need a Traditional Live TV Service, my kids are 33/28, that described them perfectly.

The Cord Dying, roughly the over 60 group who will not give it up until it is unprofitable and out of business, but when they die off, they no longer have the younger folks to replace them as subscribers.

Last edited:
Easy to figure out-

There are 131 Million Households in the United States

Cable/Satellite total as of 3rd Quarter-56,772, 281 ( they had 100 million in 2016)
Internet Live TV-14,697,000

Total of Live TV Subscribers-71,469,281

Total of those without Live TV-59,530,719

So those they might be streaming only would be 74,227,719 (17,455,438 more then Cable/Satellite) that includes those without Live TV and those that get it from services like YTTV.

Also, it is impossible to figure out those few that get neither, no streaming, just a antenna or go without and reads books all the time

Yep.

As I pointed out before, we have the cord cutters, largely the 35-60 age range

The cord nevers, under 35, will never want/need a Traditional Live TV Service, my kids are 33/28, that described them perfectly.

The Cord Dying, roughly the over 60 group who will not give it up until it is unprofitable and out of business, but when they die off, they no longer have the younger folks to replace them as subscribers.

I am Grateful that I can have my Family over today and we'll all sit down and watch FOOTBALL on a TV ...
And we will have dinner as well as discussion thru out the day ...

We won't have 9 people in the house all watching something on thier phones instead.

I am Grateful that I can have my Family over today and we'll all sit down and watch FOOTBALL on a TV ...
And we will have dinner as well as discussion thru out the day ...

We won't have 9 people in the house all watching something on thier phones instead.
So a bunch of old people over?

No, but I did go to another persons house! :)
Well I stayed home, watched the Lions game ( Oy Vey), on my TV, but I had my iPad with me at the same time.

I dont think those numbers can be close. I have Direct, but get MLB season ticket from T-Mobile,I have NFL ticket, have Netflix, and get Prime with Amazon. Now one house, has 4 services.

How do those numbers get crunched?

Well I stayed home, watched the Lions game ( Oy Vey), on my TV, but I had my iPad with me at the same time.
I watch the Lions game at that other persons house. I have always rooted for the Lions on Thanksgiving, being the underdogs that they usually are. Oy Vey indeed! :)