When will the 922 be out & will I be able to watch HD on more than 1 TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Now imagine all the issues.

Tons of customers would demand free HD installs to their TV2. "You're trying to tell me that you sold be a box that runs 2 TVs in HD, but won't install it that way? Rip this thing out."

A large number of people run their TV2 diplexed to their existing prewired cable, so that no wires are exposed. Can't do that with HDMI. Any idea how difficult it can be to run a thick HDMI cable so that it is hidden? It could take hours to run a single cable.

And what if the TV2 is 150' away, or there's no direct path? What it if is only 75' away? Who is going to be buying those $200+ HDMI cables for the customer? It isn't going to be Dish. They just aren't going to be spending all that money for TV2 installation just so their customers can pay them less per month.

No, once you look at the reality, it makes more sense to put a receiver at each HDTV.

Most people aren't going to want to run HDMI cables through the house. I don't think that is practical. At least the current system uses existing wiring for most people.

If I upgrade to the 922, I will probably try the Sling Catcher route. Once more details come out, I may change my mind.

I would hope that you could use the 922 to sling HD Video and Stereo Audio to a Sling Catcher and watch HD on TV2 from the 922 DVR. I only want one DVR. I don't what to guess which TV I will watch a TV show later when I setting the DVR to record.

Most people aren't going to want to run HDMI cables through the house. I don't think that is practical. At least the current system uses existing wiring for most people.

If I upgrade to the 922, I will probably try the Sling Catcher route. Once more details come out, I may change my mind.
Whats the difference?, HDMI is no thicker then Cat 5 or 6. And 90 % of the new homes I've built in the last 2 years have HDMI wiring. As well as RG6 and Cat 5.
If E* can run coax to the 2nd tv location ,they sure as heck can run HDMI.

And actually they make converters to run HDMI over cat 5e (or cat 6). Not sure of how good they are, though.

A down side I see of that is that the 'remote' set top box is 'tied' to that one HD DVR vs. if using ethernet connected boxes you can have a number of different DVR's to connect to.

Technical question

Does anybody know what's actually going to be inside the box? Is this just going to be a Slingbox and Dish receiver inside the same chassis?

Correct me if I'm wrong. But I believe all Sling technology is essentially A-to-D. So, you take an analog video and audio signal, digitize it, compress and encrypt that in real time, and send the result out the network adapter.

Now if you record something on a 922, unless I am sorely mistaken, then it takes the decrypted mpeg-2 or mpeg-4 transport stream, and stores that on disk. There is no lossy conversion to analog and back to digital again. When you play back a recorded program, it's just converted to analog once (or decompressed and re-encrypted for the HDMI output).

Now load Sling. I seriously doubt that Sling technology has anything to do with the DVR part of a 922. In other words, I don't think (but I don't know) that the satellite transport stream will be converted to analog, back into Sling's digital format, and have that stored on disk. Doesn't make sense to me. I imagine all the Sling technology is doing is forming an additional output (TV3?) for the 922.

But how is it doing that? Does it remain in the digital domain, which would require transcoding? Or is there a conversion to analog in between the Dish part and the Sling part, with the accompanying loss of quality?

I'v NEVER seen HDMI cabling installed in a new house unless it was a custom install asked for by the homeowner.

My daughter and son-in-law just bought a $150,000 home in the Dallas area built in 2007, and it doesn't even have Cat5.

95% of new construction is a contractor building a subdivision and selling the houses to buyers, such luxuries as HDMI and CAT5 cabling are not standard equipment.

There's a whole lota 'summing goin' on here.

Now imagine all the issues.

Tons of customers would demand free HD installs to their TV2. "You're trying to tell me that you sold be a box that runs 2 TVs in HD, but won't install it that way? Rip this thing out."

A large number of people run their TV2 diplexed to their existing prewired cable, so that no wires are exposed. Can't do that with HDMI. Any idea how difficult it can be to run a thick HDMI cable so that it is hidden? It could take hours to run a single cable.

And what if the TV2 is 150' away, or there's no direct path? What it if is only 75' away? Who is going to be buying those $200+ HDMI cables for the customer? It isn't going to be Dish. They just aren't going to be spending all that money for TV2 installation just so their customers can pay them less per month.

No, once you look at the reality, it makes more sense to put a receiver at each HDTV.
yeah..
We can run them if there is a path. Just that homewoners will have to be prepared to pay for the labor, the cable and someone to repair drywall and have it painted. It's that simple.

Whats the difference?, HDMI is no thicker then Cat 5 or 6. And 90 % of the new homes I've built in the last 2 years have HDMI wiring. As well as RG6 and Cat 5.
If E* can run coax to the 2nd tv location ,they sure as heck can run HDMI.

Don't know what your type of HDMI is. But the HDMI cables I have seen are MUCH thicker than a cat 5 or coax. Plus ,do not forget that any holes and the entire path must be large enough to accomodate the connector which can be easily damaged. PLease note, the HDMI cables in new homes are most likely installed pre drywall.
We're talking about retor -fits here. They can be done. But drywall will have to be cut in certain cases.
For example, at least 70% of all homes here are built on concrete slabs. over half of those are two story. So in a two story slab built house you lose two pathways in which to run wiring.
So dry has to be cut in some places.
MOst folks will not pay for this work.
The typical reaction would be " I have a receiver that delivers HD to both locations ,but I have to pay X number of dollars to realize that capability? Forget it!
No matter how you slice it, it isn't going to be free. That's for sure.

yeah a low grade cable.. Sure can.
A good mid level cable of 6ft is between $60 to $100 retail. Sure there are cheap cables out there. You get what you pay for.

That's totally untrue, I for one have purchased $10 HDMI cables and the picture is exactly the same as any $100 Monster cable crap. You either a) have no idea what you are talking about b) were fed bull from a Best Buy sales rep or C) were taken for a ride.

You won't notice the difference under 50 feet. Not a chance in hell.

Don't know what your type of HDMI is. But the HDMI cables I have seen are MUCH thicker than a cat 5 or coax. Plus ,do not forget that any holes and the entire path must be large enough to accomodate the connector which can be easily damaged..
You must not know much about new construction I guess. How wide do you think and HDMI cable is? I'll tell you about 1 inch at the connector. Not that big a deal IMO, unless you make it one. And HDMI isn't that expensive. Atleast D* doesn't seem to think so since they still give you an HDMI cable as well as component cables with thier HD receivers.
E* gives you composite cables. Now wonder so many E* customers complain about PQ.
I wired my house with about 600 ft of HDMI for less then $200
I'm sure E* could swing a customer 150 ft of it for at the most $50 buying it wholesale, My guess much less then that yet.

That's totally untrue, I for one have purchased $10 HDMI cables and the picture is exactly the same as any $100 Monster cable crap. You either a) have no idea what you are talking about b) were fed bull from a Best Buy sales rep or C) were taken for a ride.

You won't notice the difference under 50 feet. Not a chance in hell.
Ok whatever you say.
here have a look. EETimes.com - Monster and Gennum enable longer distance HDMI cables
Ten bucks. Again, you get what you pay for.
Now that is not to say there are not less expensive methods. Cat 5 can be used to carry component video and stereo audio over distances with good quality and less expensive than HDMI. I have seen that done. Perhaps that would be the way to go rather than being locked into HDMI.
Cheap HDMI cables are exactly that. Cheap.
NOTE**** I am not one of the electronics need a perfect picture people either.
I don't even know why someone would pay a fortune for HDMI when component gives a pretty good image. If you want WOW!, get HDMI...JMHO

You must not know much about new construction I guess. How wide do you think and HDMI cable is? I'll tell you about 1 inch at the connector. Not that big a deal IMO, unless you make it one. And HDMI isn't that expensive. Atleast D* doesn't seem to think so since they still give you an HDMI cable as well as component cables with thier HD receivers.
E* gives you composite cables. Now wonder so many E* customers complain about PQ.
I wired my house with about 600 ft of HDMI for less then $200
I'm sure E* could swing a customer 150 ft of it for at the most $50 buying it wholesale, My guess much less then that yet.
Once again we're talking about a retro fit. Not new construction. And I don't give a damn what you think you know about HDMI. You're a homebuilder. Stick to that
Back off. You want to get snippy, do it on your own time. Conversation terminated.
What is it with you people? Have a differnce of opinion and you go off.

For a 10' run, a cheap HDMI cable will usually do just fine. You start running 50' or more, and the picture changes dramatically. Plus, the cable has to be able to withstand the stresses that are commonly placed on it when doing in-wall retrofit installation. And when you move beyond 75', you usually need an ACTIVE cable with a power supply in order to get a stable connection.

I've done many dozens of custom installs, and been out to fix many more. At least 15 times, I've had to tell customers that their in-wall HDMI cable is bad, and it's usually a longer, cheap Monoprice cable that someone fished in there. 4 or 5 of them required ripping out drywall to replace the cable. That's always fun.

Don't get me wrong; Monoprice is great, and I spend thousands of dollars a year buying cables from them, but I only use them for cables that are easy to replace and for runs of 25' or less. With shorter runs and gentle handling, Monoprice cables are fine. But for longer runs, they often won't cut it. It would be great if they did, but that's not my experience, nor other contractors I know who do this kind of work.

Regardless, Dish simply isn't going to install HDMI cables throughout people's homes. Not going to happen. And since that isn't going to happen, don't expect a receiver with an HD TV2 output anytime soon.

For very good quality HDMI cables, HDMI Cable, Home Theater Accessories, HDMI Products, Cables, Adapters, Video/Audio Switch, Networking, USB, Firewire, Printer Toner, and more!
For high quality cables, Blue Jeans Cable -- Broadcast-Quality Cables at Reasonable Prices

Anything more expensive than these two places is marketing hype profiteering.

$200 for a 6 foot, 10 foot, 15 foot, 30 foot, 50 foot, 100 foot HDMI cable is a rip off from a company who learned how to make a better grade cable than the free stuff and then charge 1,000 percent profit by marketing.

I now swear by my el cheapo monoprice HDMI 10' cable with ferrite cores, as opposed to my overpriced 6' HDMI cable without. The latter was basically not watchable for long before my monitor blue-screened and went black. I think that meant HDCP issues.

VIP 612 going to a Westinghouse L2410NM. Incidentally, this is my only option if I want to watch Dish's 1080p24 offering.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)