When will VOOM's DVR finally hit the streets?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
We have all been waiting for what seems like an eternity for VOOM's DVR. Where is it and what's going on behind the scenes? Now it is your turn to predict when the DVR will finally "Hit the Streets" and justify your opinion if you so desire. (I always screw-up polls so please do not post until the poll options are available...thanks!)

Hit the Streets (as defined for this poll) - is the date these devices are physically available for installation. The devices must be in possession by at least one installer and "ready" for authorized installation. If VOOM were to announce an availability date of 21 October, but the DVR is not physically shipped and received by an authorized installer until 1 February, then 1 February is the day they hit the streets. Likewise, if VOOM were to announce an availability date of 15 January, but some "hot shot" installs one on 5 January, then 15 January would be the day they hit the streets.

Poll Options:

1. First week in November (1st-10th)
2. Middle of November (11th-20th)
3. Last week in November (21st-30th)
4. First week in December (1st-10th)
5. Middle of December (11th-20th)
6. Last week in December (21st-31st)
7. First week in January (1st-10th)
8. Middle of January (11th-20th)
9. Last week in January (21st-31th)
10. Beyond February 1st or Never

So far, almost two-thirds say the DVR will be available for Christmas. Although it would certainly be nice, IMO it's just not gonna happen. Why? Well, you need to look no further than the past few software releases: (I don't recall specifics so please correct me if I'm wrong)

6.00 - it was delayed months due to software problems before it finally hit the streets...and it caused problems for the few who had it.

6.10 - the majority were upgraded to 6.10, which created major headaches if your last OTA channel wasn't rock-solid.

6.20 - quick fix which was actually working quite well for me.

7.0b - the "big upgrade" in preparation of PPV and DVR...created DVI problems, STB lock-ups, slow channel changes and other problems.

Needless to say, VOOM/Motorola does not have a track record of delivering "bug free" firmware in a timely fashion. Plus, they are still trying to correct bugs with 7.0b. Why should anyone think these problems will not having a major affect on the DVR software? VOOM may very well have an advertising campaign planned for the upcoming holiday season, but don't expect to see the DVR until after the new year IMO.

Also, is it possible for the DVR to be nothing more than a firmware/hardware (hard disk) upgrade to your current VOOM STB?

Never

The current market of subs is too small and no company will trust VOOM to market their DVR.

Hell froze over last night with the Sox beating the Yanks, so the DVR can't be too far behind.

As stated previously, due to the track record so far I'd say the DVR won't be here until after the first of the year.

I'll just continue to use my ReplayTV in SD mode until that time comes.

If Voom really, and I mean REALLY wants to grab some new subs, they will get the DVR on the market at a much lower price the the D* model.... I've been with them for a while with a SD DVR which I love, but my HD TV is craving a HD signal (or maybe it's just me...) Regardless, I'm in no hurry to hand over $1,000 for a new STB and I'm on the hunt for options like the rest of us....

jnardone said:
Never

The current market of subs is too small and no company will trust VOOM to market their DVR.

:rolleyes:

Voom's DVR will be its OWN brand, based on Ucentrics software, as we know since the beginning...

Without seeing a working prototype I dont see how anyone could vote anything except February or Never. I have some land id like to sell the people that didnt vote never.

New Fear

cr0mag said:
If Voom really, and I mean REALLY wants to grab some new subs, they will get the DVR on the market at a much lower price the the D* model.... I've been with them for a while with a SD DVR which I love, but my HD TV is craving a HD signal (or maybe it's just me...) Regardless, I'm in no hurry to hand over $1,000 for a new STB and I'm on the hunt for options like the rest of us....

What if Voom is so intent on new subs they only offer the DVR to them. Sort of like D* and there HD promo.

I spoke to a Voom CSR and she told me that it would be DEC or JAN. It has been pushed back..

dziko said:
I spoke to a Voom CSR and she told me that it would be DEC or JAN. It has been pushed back..

Voom CSR told you this and you believe her?
Just how gullible are you????
I'll cut you a little slack though since you only have 26 total posts.

What are the odds that Voom is waiting until CES to make a major announcement about the DVR and Whole House Solution? Just seems to me that would be a perfect time to launch new hardware.

Aldous said:
What are the odds that Voom is waiting until CES to make a major announcement about the DVR and Whole House Solution? Just seems to me that would be a perfect time to launch new hardware.
Aldous, welcome to the forum!

Trust me, VOOM will announce the DVR release as soon as they have it ready and working. There is no reason for them to wait until the CES or any other show.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts