Where are my Satellite Guy's gamers at?

I'm really close to ordering everything. What are your opinions on my final parts list? I was able to find all the parts available on Amazon Prime and the total comes to $632 before any rebates.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GcOo
Looks pretty good. A few notes:

If you get the video card from Newegg you pay $10 more BUT you get 2 free games.

Once again I STRONGLY advise you upgrade the power supply. For $15 more you can get a 600W version of that same power supply.

I've considered that but I just don't see how I would ever use that much power. I suppose in a few years if I needed to upgrade the power usage may be more. I also saw that game offer on Newegg and I may do that. It wouldn't be too big deal to ship one thing from there.

I've considered that but I just don't see how I would ever use that much power. I suppose in a few years if I needed to upgrade the power usage may be more. I also saw that game offer on Newegg and I may do that. It wouldn't be too big deal to ship one thing from there.
If the price difference was $50 I'd understand more, but for $15 it really is worth being safe rather than sorry. Let me put it to you this way: It's better to have more power available than what you need than to not have enough available to you. I mean it's your decision obviously and you're on a budget, but keep in mind a PC is a long term investment, and it's better to have a little more than you need now so it can grow with you, than it is to have to buy 2 power supplies over time.

I'm really close to ordering everything. What are your opinions on my final parts list? I was able to find all the parts available on Amazon Prime and the total comes to $632 before any rebates.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3GcOo

Looks ok to me. I didn't really know the difference between the Athlon 760K you picked and the FX6300 I put in my machine over a year ago except for the obvious 4 cores vs. 6 cores. I don't place a ton of weight on benchmarks because I don't have to get 200 frames per second but they are useful for a quick comparison. Here is a link to the comparison I found and keep in mind that my CPU is about a year and a half old at this point.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/AMD-FX-6300-vs-AMD-Athlon-X4-760K

The first thing to point out from that comparison is that single core performance scored the exact same between those two CPUs. Most older games only utilized a single core no matter how many where available but recent games are designed to multi-thread with 4+ cores. The more cores available to share the processing the more graphics power you get.

The 6300 series has two more cores than the one you picked so it can put out quite a bit more graphics performance. Under the differences header you can see all the benefits where it says reasons to consider the 6300. The standouts are a 70% higher 3DMark11 Physics score and a 40% better Passmark score. Basically every test that utilizes the entire CPU is much better on the 6300. The test that limit performance to one core are equal.

That is compared to my old 6300. The newer model 6350 widens the gap even more. I know there is always just one step up in price for more performance and you have to draw the line somewhere. If you would have started at the 6350 we could have recommended the 8350. I'm not saying what you picked out won't run whatever you want to play but for an extra $34 you can get the same CPU I have and have a pretty solid gaming PC.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009O7YORK/?tag=satell01-20

The first one is the same one I'm using and it sells for a discount now that it's been replaced by a newer model. The second one is the newer model for about $20 more. The gap between the 6300 and 6350 isn't as big as the gap between the Athlon 760K and the FX 6300 so I would consider saving the $20 here.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CLBZAHY/?tag=satell01-20

I'm going with the Corsair 600w now. It's only $10 more now on Amazon. I think I'm happy with the rest of it so far though. I'm really thinking I should pull the trigger today since this system priced out about $40 higher a week ago.

I'm going with the Corsair 600w now.
159.gif

I'm going with the Corsair 600w now. It's only $10 more now on Amazon. I think I'm happy with the rest of it so far though. I'm really thinking I should pull the trigger today since this system priced out about $40 higher a week ago.

Go for it! While you're at it you should head on over to the Video Game Deals thread. Saint's Row 4 is $10 for another hour or so and it's pretty much a must buy at that price. I haven't played it yet but I have it ready to go when I finish inFamous. If it's anywhere close to Saint's Row the Third it will give you 30+ hours of fun and lots of hilarious moments.

Go for it! While you're at it you should head on over to the Video Game Deals thread. Saint's Row 4 is $10 for another hour or so and it's pretty much a must buy at that price. I haven't played it yet but I have it ready to go when I finish inFamous. If it's anywhere close to Saint's Row the Third it will give you 30+ hours of fun and lots of hilarious moments.
It's an UNBELIEVABLE game. If you like fun open world gaming, you can't go wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
ALRIGHT! I pulled the trigger and should have everything by next Wednesday. I'm going to be in Nashville for Team Summit so I'll have something to look forward to when I get home. :D

ALRIGHT! I pulled the trigger and should have everything by next Wednesday. I'm going to be in Nashville for Team Summit so I'll have something to look forward to when I get home. :D

Very cool. As tempting as it is to get everything setup right away I suggest waiting until you have a few hours to do everything at once. When you do start make sure to use one of the good builder step-by-step guides that are all over the internet. Nothing is too difficult and you can do it any way you want but it will make things easier on you if you do it in a certain order. Certain things are harder to snap in than others once the box starts to fill up and you have less room for your hands.

On both of my builds I took the most time plugging in the HDD LED light, power button, etc, cables. They are tiny there are lots of little pins you need to plug into. It's not difficult but you just need to make sure you plug + into + and - into -. I had them backwards on my first attempt and nothing happened when I hit the power button. It didn't cause any damage and once I realized what was wrong, flipping them was a simple fix.

The other tricky thing was plugging everything into the power supply. There is no + or - to worry about here. Everything only fits one way. It was just tricky to get my hands in there and snap everything in once it was all installed.

Edit: in addition to the deals thread you should check out the free game codes thread. See if there is anything you are interested in to start building up that library.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/331717-Free-Game-Codes

I've watched numerous videos on assembling a PC and I feel pretty good about putting together. I know it's going to be a pain making it all neat and I'm a little concerned with the cable management. The biggest concern I have is when it's all assembled and I have to get it all to work together. Most of the videos I watched just show the assembly and then it powering up.

Last week I watched a Newegg video that showed the final steps of downloading all the drivers and getting into the BIOs to change settings and that's when I got worried. I'm worried my may not configure it properly. I know I can put the components together but when it comes to software and programming I'm a loss.

I've watched numerous videos on assembling a PC and I feel pretty good about putting together. I know it's going to be a pain making it all neat and I'm a little concerned with the cable management. The biggest concern I have is when it's all assembled and I have to get it all to work together. Most of the videos I watched just show the assembly and then it powering up.

Last week I watched a Newegg video that showed the final steps of downloading all the drivers and getting into the BIOs to change settings and that's when I got worried. I'm worried my may not configure it properly. I know I can put the components together but when it comes to software and programming I'm a loss.

For the most part you don't really need to go into the BIOS. Once everything is connected you should just be able to hit the power button and put the Windows install disk in. You may end up in the BIOS but if you do it's probably just because you wanted to tinker with stuff. You will want to get the latest driver for your GPU though.

I did mess around in the BIOS because my motherboard was running my RAM at 1333MHz even though I bought 1600MHz. It was a simple fix. Getting in on my motherboard is as simple as holding down the delete button while the computer is booting. Once you are in it's just simple menus you click on. I did a little more screwing around in there because I wanted to see how high I could overclock my CPU and keep everything stable. I got it up to 4.2GHz from the stock 3.5GHz with no problems. I have seen other people with the same CPU post that they got to 4.5-4.8GHz but I didn't want to crank the voltage that high and risk frying it.

The point is, you can probably just put it together and hit the power button if you want. You will likely never need to go into BIOS unless you just want to screw with custom settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You still have to download all the drivers for everything don't you?

Windows will automatically install drivers for most things. The only things I really remember downloading drivers for manually were my GPU and my motherboard. Everything will boot without the new drivers but you need to update your GPU driver for the best gaming performance. The only reason I had to download the motherboard driver is because the generic audio driver windows installed had issues with my hardware. I couldn't get my games to output 5.1 surround sound over HDMI until I got the right audio driver for my equipment.

I just realized that I still need a keyboard. I have the mouse but forgot about keyboard.

I would also recommend a 360 controller if you don't already have one. I bought a $9 knockoff wireless USB dongle from amazon so I could use one of the wireless controllers I already had. It worked out of the box once I synced the controller to the dongle. A wired 360 controller would also work out of the box.

I have 2 wireless 360 controllers already and I never use them since I normally play on the PS3. I haven't even used the PS3 in months since I've been either too busy or playing Minecraft.

Xbox One, issue with Ready to Install List & External Drive

Possible xbox Hard drive issues....is all lost

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)