Where does guide data come from?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

glen4cindy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 14, 2004
St. Louis MO, area
My wife is a lover of Life Below Zero. It seems the listings are all wonky and I'm curious where DTV gets their data from. I looked at TV Guide and they have the same data so I'm wondering where they problem might be coming from.

According to IMDB:

S11 E01 · Changing of the Guard
S11 E02 · End of the Rope
S11 E03 · No Guarantees

Tonight's listings:

7PM: S11 E01 · Changing of the Guard
9PM: S11 E01 · Tricks of the Trade

What gives??

It's a company called Gracenote that used to be owned by Tribune and is now part of nielsen. They supply the guide data to most users. But the data comes from the channel, so if its wrong, most guides are wrong.

Thanks all.

Its obvious things are wrong.
Makes it impossible to use settings on the DVR such as telling it not to record repeats. Sometimes, on some shows, every showing is a "first run" even if it's been on many times before.

Thanks all.

Its obvious things are wrong.
Makes it impossible to use settings on the DVR such as telling it not to record repeats. Sometimes, on some shows, every showing is a "first run" even if it's been on many times before.
Look at the First Air Date

If a program is repeated three times on the same day they all have the same first aired date.
If a program was first shown in the UK and Canada the program often has the original first aired date.
If a program has no useful metadata the DVR will record it to be safe.
It's all about garbage in, garbage out.

Reactions: raoul5788
I noticed most reality TV shows will show repeats with bonus content and that counts as a new episode.

Yes, because it has to be created and edited just like a new show. Think of it as a new show with some old content.

Look at the First Air Date

The "First Air Date" is almost always wrong, at least for what we are watching. For example, tonight we just deleted about 8 Season 2 of Alaskan Bush People. S8 E2 then S8 E7 recorded back to back. What happened to E3 - E6? And the Season 2 episodes all had 9/30/2018 as the "First Air Date" so that really isn't helpful either.

When I'm talking about looking at the First Air Date, I'm referring to New current programming ....

Also if the show is on multiple times on the same day, it still shows the same 1st air date so its going to record ....
I would rather have multiple episodes of the same program recorded vs missing an episode that you can't find.

When I'm talking about looking at the First Air Date, I'm referring to New current programming ....

Also if the show is on multiple times on the same day, it still shows the same 1st air date so its going to record ....
I would rather have multiple episodes of the same program recorded vs missing an episode that you can't find.

I agree with that which is why we have it set to "all episodes" but this can get you in trouble too if you don't have a high enough episode count set on your "season pass". Some things we have set to 5 episodes some we have set to 10 others all. But, if I'm not thinking about it, and I have had to change it, they would show so many that some would get deleted and the newer ones would end up deleted.

I just wish they would add a "Recently Deleted" queue so you could recover shows that the DVR deleted like this to make room for more episodes for just even for things you accidentally deleted. Maybe that's a TiVo feature they are prevented from implementing.

I agree with that which is why we have it set to "all episodes" but this can get you in trouble too if you don't have a high enough episode count set on your "season pass". Some things we have set to 5 episodes some we have set to 10 others all. But, if I'm not thinking about it, and I have had to change it, they would show so many that some would get deleted and the newer ones would end up deleted.

I just wish they would add a "Recently Deleted" queue so you could recover shows that the DVR deleted like this to make room for more episodes for just even for things you accidentally deleted. Maybe that's a TiVo feature they are prevented from implementing.
A few generations ago I think you could do that by going into the History and find it and it would play .... however, its been a while.

A few generations ago I think you could do that by going into the History and find it and it would play .... however, its been a while.

I don't think that's possible anymore. It appears to be just a catalog listing. It does not even show specifics of each item, just the name and that it was deleted and I think it says which "room" deleted it. It does not, however, specify if it was deleted automatically or after being watched.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)