Where is the DVR sucks forum?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Purp1eOne

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
I can't believe how crappy the supposedly top of the line DVR sucks.

I got the new one for this years NFL season and I also record others shows with it but it plain blows.

First thing is the response time is terrible. Sometimes I am not even sure it got the request then I wait an actual minute and then it responds. Even a simple pull up the guide request takes forever. But trying to fast forward or rewind takes way too long to get it where you want to be. May as well just watch the damn commercials.

I don't know maybe I am spoiled using Dish Networks DVR since this is where my main programming comes from. I only use Direct TV for the NFL Ticket. But comparing them first hand its not even close.

Do you guys see these same issues or maybe mine is just junk?

I have a HR20 and a HR22 (which is a HR21 under the covers but has a bigger hard drive) and I can say that the HR22 is slower to respond than the HR20.

To the OP: If you are running the current national release software and connected to Ethernet, pull it. There has been several issues with that software build and network connectivity.

My HR21 resumed a "normal" response time after removing the network cable.

If you do this, or never had the cable connected, do as Darren said and call D* for support as it may be a bad box.

I have the HR22, I had to buy the external box to receive my over the air locals. I don't have the network cable hooked up so that wouldn't be an issue.

Looks like I will have to give Direc TV a call.

First thing is the response time is terrible. Sometimes I am not even sure it got the request then I wait an actual minute and then it responds. Even a simple pull up the guide request takes forever. But trying to fast forward or rewind takes way too long to get it where you want to be. May as well just watch the damn commercials.

I don't know maybe I am spoiled using Dish Networks DVR since this is where my main programming comes from. I only use Direct TV for the NFL Ticket. But comparing them first hand its not even close.

Do you guys see these same issues or maybe mine is just junk?
I have to tell you that I have not experienced this issue with my HR22's. I had that delay problem with my Motorola DVR when I had cable. So I know how annoying it can be. Have you tried resetting it? That usually resolved my DVR issues with cable.

There are some responsiveness issues, but with you describe seems beyond normal. I would call D. You might have an issue with your DVR.
Oh stop shilling for D*. The response time of the HR21 is ridiculous. With every CE upgrade I hear "oh it seems faster now" As many times and CE updates that Ive heard that it should be lightening fast by now. Sorry charlie but its a dog when it comes to changing channels or viewing the guide..

Oh stop shilling for D*. The response time of the HR21 is ridiculous. With every CE upgrade I hear "oh it seems faster now" As many times and CE updates that Ive heard that it should be lightening fast by now. Sorry charlie but its a dog when it comes to changing channels or viewing the guide..

Nobody has ever accused me of "shilling" for either dbs provider. I have a reputation of being critical, but I believe I am fair. Therefore I dont appreciate the comment.

It has gotten better over time. Is it fast? No, but it is better than what it was. Do you participate in the CE program? If not, how can you possibly comment on what the results are?

What I can honestly say is this. When I first got the HR21, the speed was a major distraction. Right now, it doesnt bug me that much, if at all. I believe this is mostly due to improvements made.

this friday download the latest CE. the last national release was very slow for me too. this friday or saturday starting at 11pm eastern is another update. check the cutting edge forum for more info. Right now i'm very happy with my HR21-100.

Nobody has ever accused me of "shilling" for either dbs provider. I have a reputation of being critical, but I believe I am fair. Therefore I dont appreciate the comment.

It has gotten better over time. Is it fast? No, but it is better than what it was. Do you participate in the CE program? If not, how can you possibly comment on what the results are?

What I can honestly say is this. When I first got the HR21, the speed was a major distraction. Right now, it doesnt bug me that much, if at all. I believe this is mostly due to improvements made.

i agree 100%. when i first got the HR21 i was very disappointed especially when i have the vip622 which is still superior but my HR21 has gotten way faster after the CE updates. It works better every week that passes by. Still needs work but it's so much better!

Direc HR20 built poorly

I have dish (main unit) Direc for NFL and NhL packages. The plain truth is direcs recievers are just aweful I have the HR20. Guide is slow..channel surfing slow..

There is no comparison to dish VIP series622\722 to any dvr to date. Direcs HR20 ranks up there as one of the worst dvrs I have seen.

It is just built so poorly.

Programming wise, Direc tvs sports packages make the DVR worth dealing with.

It is what it is. Thats why my main unit is dish 722. Id pull my hair out if I had to deal with the HR20 all the time.

I also have a 722 and the HR22 does not even compare. I just got the HR22 at the beginning of September so I would assume the software is pretty up to date.

Very disappointed, I would not have a DVR if my 722 worked like this.

Its just pathetic. I have the superfan and when I go to the game mix channel I will literally sit there for about 3 minutes before the highlight box shows up letting me know which game the audio is coming from.

Crap.

I have dish (main unit) Direc for NFL and NhL packages. The plain truth is direcs recievers are just aweful I have the HR20. Guide is slow..channel surfing slow..

There is no comparison to dish VIP series622\722 to any dvr to date. Direcs HR20 ranks up there as one of the worst dvrs I have seen.

It is just built so poorly.

Programming wise, Direc tvs sports packages make the DVR worth dealing with.

It is what it is. Thats why my main unit is dish 722. Id pull my hair out if I had to deal with the HR20 all the time.

I also have a 722 and the HR22 does not even compare. I just got the HR22 at the beginning of September so I would assume the software is pretty up to date.

Very disappointed, I would not have a DVR if my 722 worked like this.

Its just pathetic. I have the superfan and when I go to the game mix channel I will literally sit there for about 3 minutes before the highlight box shows up letting me know which game the audio is coming from.

Crap.

3 Minutes? wow that seems a very long time? Mine is slugish but we are talking seconds.
I dont see these CE downloads to be real helpful either.

Did you let Direc know this? Sounds like a faulty machine. Get them to replace it.
That lag time of 3 minutes is unacceptable.
I would not be able to deal with that let alone pay for it!

on "wakeup" i generally see a three or four second or so lag between button press and response from my Hr-21 .. however after the first press of the button the subsequent presses seem to register pretty much right away ....

Channel change is still slightly slower than it ever was with dish -

For me ... hardware - dish wins hands down - software wise though - i actually prefer the Directv setup .... The menu seems to be more logical - the on-demand - the media share, the jump to day/time feature and many many other small touches that just make the software easier to navigate in my opinion.

Having said all of the above - i use a harmony remote rather than the directv remote - wonder if that has anything to do with it ?

3 Minutes? wow that seems a very long time? Mine is slugish but we are talking seconds.
I dont see these CE downloads to be real helpful either.

Did you let Direc know this? Sounds like a faulty machine. Get them to replace it.
That lag time of 3 minutes is unacceptable.
I would not be able to deal with that let alone pay for it!

Ive reaplced 3 of them, they are crap, period. had I known I was spending my hard earned cash on this garbage, I never would have left DIsh at least the DVR works.

I have the superfan and when I go to the game mix channel I will literally sit there for about 3 minutes before the highlight box shows up letting me know which game the audio is coming from.

Crap.

Don't know about 3 minutes but the Superfan mix channels, or the regular sports or news mix are slow even on other receivers to highlite the active window on all receivers I have, and have been that way since day one. I would be interested if you could actually time how long it takes and if you have a recording on another channel going on at the same time.

Ive reaplced 3 of them, they are crap, period. had I known I was spending my hard earned cash on this garbage, I never would have left DIsh at least the DVR works.

And I've seen post from Dish subs saying that've gone through a bunch of 622/722's DVR's so they must be crap also then;)

I'm waiting to do the latest (& first for this unit) on my new HR21-100 this weekend as it is slow (3-5 second slow). It's also crashed 4 times over the last two months after some strong channel surfing.

As for my H20's they are now incredibly fast; like a new machine was magically inserted when I was at work. I'm hoping for the same magic act with the HR21's. While annoying to see a new box so slow, it's nice to know that a good software fix can speed things up.

And I've seen post from Dish subs saying that've gone through a bunch of 622/722's DVR's so they must be crap also then;)

I have allegiance to neither sat cos. Matter of fact I loath dish as a companie.
Since their takedown of Voom in the middle of the night I have lost all respect for them.

That said, I simply love their dvrs. Never once have I had an issue with any of their HD dvrs.

They are built that very well.

Direc tv on the other hand. In my opinnion, they get it, when dealing with customers.
Plus best sports packages around! PQ- Awesome!

I have been through about three deffective HR 20S. If direc had dishes dvrs..They would rule the Sat world.

And I would only pay for one sat bill instaed of 2!

i have dish and directv and yes the 622 and 722 are superior to anything that direct has. Now, to say that they are the worst out there is an exaggeration on anyones part. Have you tried the motorolas from cable dvr's? Now that is a piece of S***! So yes Dish at the moment makes the best dvrs but the HR20 or 21 is better than alot of the crap that is out there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts