Which 7.1 Receiver

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
I'm looking to get a new 7.1 Receiver now that I have a 7 speaker system.

It has to be under $299 (for Wife Approval Factor) and it needs at least 2 optical inputs and 1 coaxial input, though the more the merrier.

What would yall recommend?

Neutron,

Sony STR-DG800

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4089716

This is the one I am using with my Yambeka 7.1 speakers.

Has HDMI switching which I considered a must to get the 1080I HD picture to my projector

It has 4 optical and 3 coaxial inputs (plus 2 HDMI inputs)

Not a perfect receiver but with the features I wanted, the sony was a great choice for me as those features usually cost hundreds more. Maybe 3 times as much as this receiver.

Read some reviews of it, ask me some questions. I'll give you the best answers that I can

Hope it helps,

Steve

I'm trying to decide on a new receiver around this price point also. Is 7.1 really worth it over 5.1 surround? Is anything on Dish Network or OTA transmitted in 7.1? I'm just not sure about the speaker placement in my room if I were to try and use the side speakers in a 7.1 setup also.

Another place to check out is Circuit City. For some reason they hate the silver models and place ridiculous discounts on them if you buy them online. I got an Onkyo TX-SR604 for $278 a couple months ago.

Check out www.shoponkyo.com. This is a GREAT website for purchasing Onkyo products. Their TX-SR504 is near the top of my short list. It has received great reviews, and has 4 digital audio inputs. Not the most feature-rich receiver, but from what I've read, it really nails the basics in this price range. Here's the kicker, Shoponkyo.com has the factory refurb for $169 shipped ($159 if you create an account and use their points). This is official Onkyo factory outlet stuff, with the normal warranty.

Another consideration in this price range is the Pioneer VSX-D816K. Vanns.com has a good deal on this particular receiver.

OK, this is helping me too. I am looking at upgrading my HT system. I plan to do it in steps. First step, new speakers, including sub, for maybe $2,000 or so. SWAG. Although I wonder if I'd do just as well spending half as much. I plan to move to 7.1 from 5.1 also. Next step, perhaps a few months later, new receiver. Or is it better/less expensive to buy an all in one package from someone? I've generally viewed "packages" as rather low end, but I see I could be wrong.

So what do you get by moving from a three or four hundred dollar receiver to a one or two thousand dollar receiver? Wattage, to be sure. Maybe built in sat radio (not interested). Is there really much to be gained by spending 4 or 5 times as much?

I see some offer networking- looks interesting, is it really useful?

And HDMI switching- sounds great to me, because my HDTV has only one HDMI input. But I'm reading some TVs don't work with HDMI switching. Any knowledge about that?

TIA.

Most of the upper ends can add the features you already listed and: true headunit A/V switching and conversion, H/T control, RS232, ethernet even wireless, multi-room, etc. It not just about what you need today or next month, but something that can grow well beyond that, between 2 - 3 years or more. Really study your needs for 2 years or so and your budget and don't buy too short sighted. Buy smart once, rather than buying 2 or 3 times hastily or cheaply.

I hear you. That's why I'm trying to plan it out now.

I've been surprised at how few AV stores there are, that actually have various good speakers to listen to. It's all about the TV now. Might have to buy speakers on faith, and memories from college. That'll likely mean maggies or Klipsch. I'm tempted by the sale here on those Chinese speakers, but perhaps I should go for higher end stuff, even though my hearing is not the best.

I got suckered into buying the unmentionable brand about 15 years ago. Still use them. Tiny size is nice. That's about it.

But I'm about to start running wires thru walls, so I need to start making decisions. I guess I won't be mounting the fronts on the ceiling as I've had them for the last several years. WAF for any other mounting is low, but she'll come around. Others will almost have to be ceiling mounted.

I'd hate to set up with certain speakers and later discover they weren't a good match for the next receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts