Which One?

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
Two choices..... One plasma, one LED. Replacing a 3 yr old Panasonic 58" plasma that just died.
Uses: tv, movies, gaming
Dark room, smart tv does not matter, have roku. 3D not important, cant watch it.
So which of these two?
Sharp LC60LE650U
Samsung PN60F5500

Dark room? Go with a plasma. I bought my first one earlier this year. Samsung 43" 720p set for the bedroom. Much better picture than my LCDs. I'm with you. I could care less about a "smart" TV. I'd rather see manufacturers invest in the picture quality and leave the smart features to those who do it best. ( Roku, M$, Sony, Apple, etc. )

just a question, have you ever thought of a projector? A lot of different options in that area....also if it is down to just those two, I always like how nice a LED looks, but recently went with a friend and picked a plasma over everything and am leaning towards your plasma choice.

I don't have to look at anything other than one is plasma and one is LED. Plasma all the way. I only use LED when I have to (portable tailgate setup).

Dark room? Go with a plasma. I bought my first one earlier this year. Samsung 43" 720p set for the bedroom. Much better picture than my LCDs. I'm with you. I could care less about a "smart" TV. I'd rather see manufacturers invest in the picture quality and leave the smart features to those who do it best. ( Roku, M$, Sony, Apple, etc. )

Its not even dark room as much anymore. My VT50 can hit eye searing levels (to me) in my ISF day mode. 2013's are even brighter, especially samsungs.

I was beginning to think gadgtfreek was the only one paying attention! lol
It's not for me. We may be looking soon but our circumstances are very different and with 14 ft of windows in our family room a plasma is out. This is for someone on a more restricted budget but with expensive tastes :) He had a panny plasma that just died in its 3rd year.... he loved it but was very upset that it died so soon. We opened it up but there was nothing evident as far as which board had gone. Some of the boards were not available at this point. So, he has to get a new tv before he expected.
We did think of a projector but I did not research any. I was under the impression a good projector would cost more though.
He was leaning toward the plasma but at every brick and mortar he could compare the two the plasma did not look good at all. We thought it was just because the showrooms were not dark enough but were not sure. Do any of you by any chance have or have you seen the Samsung?

I owned a 2011 Samsung plasma, was a nice set. The newer models have even better blacks and can get brighter. What you really lose in the cheaper plasmas, because they use the same/similar panels as the more expensive models is, anti glare ability and features.

I was beginning to think gadgtfreek was the only one paying attention! lol
Well, we did pay attention to your original post where you said it was a DARK room. From that, one would not envision 14' of windows.;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts