Which paint for BUD?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

slider

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Colorado
Waiting for a friend to bring over his skidsteer with 18" auger to dig a 4' hole on this Rocky Mountain hillside. In the meantime I'm considering painting my 71/2' Paraclipse. Looks like it was powder-coated but it's mostly worn off leaving a metallic finish. Being new at this I have no idea about best/worst colors or type of paint for best reflection (or should I not paint it at all?). The dish is aluminum I believe as it's very light. How about gray self etching primer? Or black? Anyway I think aluminum would need primer. Suggestions? Thanks.

I painted mine with Rustoleum Semi-gloss Black. If I had to do it again I think I would go with Smoke Gray.
12Jul 005.JPG

Attachments

• Stuff04 12 031.JPG
    Stuff04 12 031.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 159
Any color you want should be fine as long as it's not high gloss. Wire brush any extremely 'dirty' areas. If a primer is desired the self etching type for aluminum is preferable. Then a cover coat of your desired color. (Primer is porous, so a cover coat is required) Rustoleum is a good 1 coat solution.

I used flat black rustoleum with a paint brush. It may take longer, but sure looks good when you are done. Did the pole same and everything is good!:).

If the dish is aluminum, I wouldn't use a wire brush. A wire brush would probably be fine on a steel mesh, but I would fear it to be too rough for aluminum.

As far as paint... +1 on the Rustoleum. I've found that really good paint is usually cheaper than cheap paint. I've used paint so cheap in the past, that i had to apply a ton of coats just to get a solid color. Plus, cheap paint seems to run real easy.

Cheers

This the Hydro?
Solid one-piece, but with triangular patterns of small holes?
I've never heard of one damaged as you describe.
Was it sandblasted in the desert?
Could you post some pictures?

As for color, I'm very partial to the dark flat gray of the second dish in my signature. (DH perf)
While unremarkable up close, it's beautifully unobtrusive against the sky! :)
(factory finish, after 25 years in mild California sun)

edit: I would never go full black, nor the white of my Birdview.

iphone 4

Last edited:
Yep this is the Hydo. I picked it up in Longmont, CO about 3 weeks ago. I'll get some pics of it before it's painted. The guy lived on flat acreage next to a lake. I'm sure it's seen many years of ice, snow, & hard wind. All around the center is bare aluminum and the outer is a very dark gray or even light flat black. I want to be careful painting not to fill the tiny holes. I'm sure they're there for some purpose. Anole that AMCI really does blend in with the sky well. I'll look for a dark flat gray.

I'm going to town today & I'll pick up some Rustoleum but here are the "before" pics. I'll also include a shot of the Ajak where I think the declination is to be set. It's not real clear to me how it's actually done (I understand the settings but not so much the nuts & bolts for the adjustment on this mount) but it has not been disassembled and was mounted at less than 1/2 degree difference from my lat. so maybe will be right on. Lots of cleanup and painting and lubing to do. My 18" post hole gets augered out Wednesday so I should be aiming by next weekend._IGP7350.JPG_IGP7354.JPG_IGP7355.JPG

I would stay away from spray-paint, a brushed on or rolled on paint will last longer and will seal way better.
I am a maintenance man and some guys spray-painted handrails for outside and after 1-2 years they started to rust, those handrails that got brushed or rolled lasted 5 years already without showing rust.

My first dish I got, I spray-painted and after 3 month it was almost like I never painted it in the front-side of the dish, the backside that does not see the sun still looks good.
My 2nd dish I spray-painted with a different paint also, at the time I did not realize how severe this issue was, and it done the same as the 1st dish after 2 month in use.
My first dish was a semi gloss and my 2nd dish I used a dull paint to hide imperfections.

I'm going to town today & I'll pick up some Rustoleum but here are the "before" pics. I'll also include a shot of the Ajak where I think the declination is to be set. It's not real clear to me how it's actually done (I understand the settings but not so much the nuts & bolts for the adjustment on this mount) but it has not been disassembled and was mounted at less than 1/2 degree difference from my lat. so maybe will be right on. Lots of cleanup and painting and lubing to do. My 18" post hole gets augered out Wednesday so I should be aiming by next weekend.View attachment 81418View attachment 81419View attachment 81420

If the dish came from your area most at a time you do not have to readjust anything, providing it was set right to start with, unless you moved those settings at the polar mount when you took the dish down.

With my 1st dish I set the pole, then put the polar mount on the pole and set the dish on the polar mount.
I turned the whole polar mount with dish on the pole until I got a signal, I was ready to watch TV.

My 2nd dish came from a co-worker and he took it down. He thought he would do me a favor and took all the adjustment brackets/rods off of the polar mount. It took me a while to get everything lined up and I still have to fine tune everything again whenever I find time.

I removed the elevation rod but havn't touched the declination setting. Like I say, I'm not certain how to correct it (the declination) if it's off. The dish was mounted a couple of hundred miles away but the lat. difference is only .6150 so maybe I'll be lucky. I'm curious though so I'll probably play with it. I'll be spraying that dish. Too late now, it's a long drive to town & I already picked up the paint.

Thanks for the manual link phlatwound (bass player?) but I already have that manual. It tells you ABOUT setting the declination and how to figure it but really doesn't explain HOW to set it. EX: loosen bolts A and B and slide crossmember to degree mark Z. I read a post where someone said that there is even a fine adjustment. Still a mystery. Very frustrating. That's a terrible manual especially for one that didn't come from China but here in my own state. I've gleaned enough from it to probably get by though. It doesn't help much that the photos are dark in the download I guess. But like you say, I probably won't have to touch the declination setting.

You're welcome, actually a guitar player, whose moniker here has nothing to do with string type preference. I can, and have played bass in bands...but am not a bass player. ;)

You can get a good idea of your declination amount by measuring the difference in angle between the main elevation bar, and a straightedge placed "vertically" from top to bottom of the ring the reflector attaches to. It would be pretty easy to measure and change your setting before the reflector is installed, if need be.

I am using the "middle" set of holes on both of my AJAK 180s, and that setting is giving me approximately 5 1/2 degrees of declination.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)