Which switch to use?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

grusome

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 2, 2006
First, I want to say thank you to all the people that post here. I have been able to read enough to get my new, Pansat 2700a , SG2100 motor, 33"Fortec dish and Universal LNB going. (finally!!) I want to add a Dish500 that is on my roof to the setup. It has a DISHPRO Dual LNB on it, with only two outputs. It is my regular dish sub. I was wondering if I can somehow add one of the two outputs from the DP500 to my motorized setup to get the music channels etc. ? I have several types of switches , a DP34 that I got at a yard sale, a SAM3402 3X4 multi switch(from the same yard sale) and a Pansat 4X1 Diseqc switch that came with my Pansat 2700a. From some of my reading on different websites, the DP34 is only for Dish Receivers and DishPRO LNBs. But, I don't think I can combine it with anything else to add the Dish500 stuff to my Pansat. Is that correct?
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
james

aka:grusome

welcome :wave

yes you can use the Diseqc switch with the setup. Put it between the motor and the LNB's.

If all you want is the audio on 119, use the LEFT output on the DishPro LNB
If you want both 100 & 119, then you need one line from both ports on the LNB to the switch.

Thanks for the welcome!! Ok, if I understand correctly, I can use the free output from the DP500 to get the 119 audio channels , but, not GOL TV (FTA) from 110. Is that correct? How would I go about getting both sats and not disconnecting the main receiver ( my Dish sub)? Should I call them about getting another Dish 500 setup from them? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but, I did do a search here and with Google (had to wade thru a lot of stuff) and still I am not sure how to go about letting my sub work as -is and grabbing the signals from the Dish500 and my Forec and connecting them to my Pansat at the same time without causing problems with one or both receivers.
james

grusome said:
Thanks for the welcome!! Ok, if I understand correctly, I can use the free output from the DP500 to get the 119 audio channels , but, not GOL TV (FTA) from 110. Is that correct? How would I go about getting both sats and not disconnecting the main receiver ( my Dish sub)? Should I call them about getting another Dish 500 setup from them? Sorry if these questions seem dumb, but, I did do a search here and with Google (had to wade thru a lot of stuff) and still I am not sure how to go about letting my sub work as -is and grabbing the signals from the Dish500 and my Forec and connecting them to my Pansat at the same time without causing problems with one or both receivers.
james

crap. Didnt notice the part about the Dish sub.

Don't call Dish because they won't know what to do on that. What I would do (and this is the easiest) is to get just a DBS LNB (ones for DirecTV & Dish) and put it on the motorized setup along with the KU LNB you already have. Then you can motor to any KU or DBS satellite. Thats what I do.

receiver--------------motor-----------diseqc switch-------------KU LNB (port 1)
------------------------------------------------------------------------DBS LNB (port 2)

Iceberg said:
crap. Didnt notice the part about the Dish sub.

Don't call Dish because they won't know what to do on that. What I would do (and this is the easiest) is to get just a DBS LNB (ones for DirecTV & Dish) and put it on the motorized setup along with the KU LNB you already have. Then you can motor to any KU or DBS satellite. Thats what I do.

receiver--------------motor-----------diseqc switch-------------KU LNB (port 1)
------------------------------------------------------------------------DBS LNB (port 2)

Ok, just zip tie it to the side of the Linear Lnb? I think I have a DTV lnb. That was what was here when we moved in. The dish guy took it down and I put it in the garage. ( don't throw anything away if I think there's a chance I'll use it!!)
Probably won't be too much weight for the arm that the lnb(s) sit on. I had thought at one time of getting the Invacom QPH031 as it does both, but, it's kind of expensive and I wasn't too sure about the weight of it either. Thanks for the tips. I'll dig the DTV lnb out and give it a try.
james

Here is a pic of 2 fta lnbs. Same principal.

Attachments

• fortec3.jpg
    fortec3.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 151
Nice mounting system there!! Found my dtv lnb, gonna wait a bit to go up and try it out. It's only 101 today!! Thanks for all the information. I have found more stuff than I think I can ever watch.
james

Thanks! That is for G10/IA7. I had to use 2 straps due to the roundness of the lnbs. But zipties/hose clamps, etc work gret. 101? Geesh! I hope you are not west of here, I am tired of the heat :)

Nope, I'm Southwest of you in North Central Texas (DFW) and we have had 30+ days now of 100+ temps! And only a little rain. The only benifit has been I don't have to worry about mowing the yard as it's all burned up now. But, I sure will be glad when we do get some cooler weather. We have been helping the local electric company's stockholders make some really good profits lately,,,,,,,,(grumble)
james

Good luck on your project! I was feeding my extra outputs on my Dish 500 to the FTA for audio, but now I have other switches and lnbs taking up those slots :)

Here is how I had a DBS/KU setup a while back
(DBS on left, KU on right)

Attachments

• IM000370.JPG
    IM000370.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 118
Is it my imagination or are both lnbs aimed off center from the lnb mount arm in that photo? Maybe, it's because the photo is taken from the left side, but, it looks like they are both twisted off center towards the right. By the way, that DBS lnb looks just like the one off of the old dtv dish I have. What setting did you use with it? ( L O)
(thanks again for all the info, it's really appreciated)

james

Iceburg, thanks so much for your help. I finally got it up and going. Only problem I had (and should have thought of) is with the dvb lnb being off center, and using USALS to locate the sat, it was not there. I finally had to go into Desq 1.2 and manually move the dish a bit furter east and there it was!! I tried storing it and then switching to USALS again and it would move it back to the original position!! Got kind of frustrating for a while. So, I left it on Desq 1.2 (after going back and resetting it) and now it seems to be fine. I guess it's ok to have a mix of USALS settings and Desq1.2 ? I also went to the other sat and got NASA and Angel and had to do the same thing there.
One other question and I'll not bother anyone for a while. I have a bunch of scrambled channels that I hate having to go thru just to get to the FTA stuff. I tried to delete them in the Pansat's Channel Edit menu, but, that doesn't seem to work that well. Any ideas on how to get rid of all the unwatchable channels?

grusome

grusome said:
Only problem I had (and should have thought of) is with the dvb lnb being off center, and using USALS to locate the sat, it was not there. I finally had to go into Desq 1.2 and manually move the dish a bit furter east and there it was!! I tried storing it and then switching to USALS again and it would move it back to the original position!! Got kind of frustrating for a while.
whoops. Forgot about that. With USALS what you can do is put in USALS where the DBS LNB should be. In my picture above, it was -5 (so if I wanted 91, I said 86)
That usually fixes the problem and can be fine tuned for best picture

So, I left it on Desq 1.2 (after going back and resetting it) and now it seems to be fine. I guess it's ok to have a mix of USALS settings and Desq1.2 ?
yes you can have a mix

One other question and I'll not bother anyone for a while. I have a bunch of scrambled channels that I hate having to go thru just to get to the FTA stuff. I tried to delete them in the Pansat's Channel Edit menu, but, that doesn't seem to work that well. Any ideas on how to get rid of all the unwatchable channels?

no bothers whatsoever. That's what we're here for.

If you have a bunch of channels to remove, I suggest using Channelmaster. You can upload your channels to the computer, delete/edit/move them around then reload back into the reciever

http://www.sharpc.com/CM/update.aspx

much easier than the channel edit on the box :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)