Which would be cheaper?

wlwgampa

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 23, 2008
Franklin County, PA
I've been considering upgrading from two 322 SD receivers to either one of the following: 2 of the 722 DVR receivers or 1 Hopper and 3 Joey's or 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. Which would be the best option?

what are your viewing and recording habits?
how many tvs will be watching at one time?
how many shows will record at these times? network vs other?

remember that each joey uses a tuner from a hopper so if your watching live tv on the hopper, that leaves 2 tuners for the joeys to get live tv or record

1 hopper may not be enough, i would recomend at least 2

Your question is what would be cheaper, the answer is two 722 receivers. There is no difference in monthly cost between 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, or Hopper and three Joeys. You will have to pay a one time charge for the second Hopper not for a Joey. How much a DIRT team member can tell you it's not the same for everyone.
As long as you understand getting the two 722 receivers is a completely different system with different capabilities to what the Hopper system has.

Monthly charges with two 722's is $16. The other two choices is $31.

Last edited:
Your question is what would be cheaper, the answer is two 722 receivers. There is no difference in monthly cost between 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys, or Hopper and three Joeys. You will have to pay a one time charge for the second Hopper not for a Joey. How much a DIRT team member can tell you it's not the same for everyone. As long as you understand getting the two 722 receivers is a completely different system with different capabilities to what the Hopper system has.Monthly charges with two 722's is $16. The other two choices is $31.
Two 722's would be $23. $6 for dvr fee and $17 for the extra 722. You'll be getting 4 tuners instead of three for the 1H/3J, but 2H/2J will give you six tuners. 6 hd tuners compared to 2 hd/2sd is, IMO, worth the extra $8.

I have two ViP722 DVRs. First one is free. Second one costs $17.

Here's an example:

.....................................2 ViP722 or ViP722K..........Hopper & 3 Joey ................2 Hopper & 2 Joeys
AT250..................................... . 69.99...................... 69.99......................................69.99
Second duo receiver....................17.00
---$7@.second device fee...........................................21.00.......................................21.00
BlockBuster................................10.00......................10.00.......................................10.00
DVR fee.......................................6.00
---DVR+Whole House fee..........................................10.00........................................10.00
Protection Plan..............................7.00.......................7.00..........................................7.00

.............................................$109.99.............$117.99..........................................$117.99

Plus taxes and state/local fees, possibly including regulatory cost recovery fees, if any. Depends upon where you receive service. Where I live in VA, it's a bit over $3/mo.

Second Hopper means a higher up front fee, probably around $100. And $8 per month more. Personally, I think you'd find the 2H/2J system the best bang for the buck. All TVs get an independent HD signal plus other features.

Of course, if you pick a lower package you'd save money, as you would if you dropped BB@Home and the protection plan.

Remember that if he is an existing customer and uprgrading to the Hopper it would be a minimum of $100 for each Hopper and $0 for each Joey. Don't forget the technician visit fee too. The Hopper system would also be $31 a month in additional fees on top of programming.

It's possible that you might be able to upgrade to two 722k receivers for free plus the tech visit fee. You would have $23 in additional fees with that setup.

Depending on how many TVs are HD and how much recording you do will determine the best system. I personally think the Hopper is worth the extra cost but I have 5 HDTVS and like to share recordings on them all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts