Whole Home DVR Service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ryan G

Original poster
Jan 13, 2012
Near Chicago
Hello,

I am new to the site. Just want to put that out there. I have had Directv Service since 09 and recently subscribed to whole home DVR service. At first I thought it was working but found that the DVR's were the only thing communicating. I went thru a few hours of work with directv help desk to no prevail. On my own I found out that if my reveivers are connected to my router thru a cat5 cable they will work and I have my playlists on all receivers, but once that is disconnected I get nothing. I have 1 HD receiver H23, 1 HD DVR HR22 and 1 HR24 with a swm system. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I was told a tech will have to come out and I would rather not have to pay the charges.

Thanks,
Ryan

Welcome to the site!

Do you have a receiver deca on the back of the H23? It looks like a little white box with a cat 5 cable coming from it. Also, do you have a blue label splitter and LNB?

Based on that its a great bet you don't have the proper equipment or setup. The service call (assuming they bring the hardware) is your best choice.

The LNB = low-noise block downconverter and it is the "eye" at the end of the dish's arm outside. Your model may vary.

Attachments

• 9601578_79548_full.jpg
    9601578_79548_full.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 168
Do I have to have my system connected to the internet for whole home to work. I am reading on directv's website and they are saying somehting about having a broadband connection kit and you cannot use the ehternet port on the DVR's.

Do I have to have my system connected to the internet for whole home to work. I am reading on directv's website and they are saying somehting about having a broadband connection kit and you cannot use the ehternet port on the DVR's.

Yes, you will need their kit with your hardware setup. The older setups like mine (sig line below) you can connect to your home network and add the $3 service and you are good to go.

CCK-W (example wiring setup)

DIRECTV DIRECTV CINEMA

or

DIRECTV CCK-W Wireless DECA Cinema Connection Kit (CCK-W) from Solid Signal

Attachments

• Whole Home DVR Install[119].jpg
    Whole Home DVR Install[119].jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 499
Got it. So If I purchase the DECA and power supply and connect it to my switch as long as it has a green label I am good to go for whole home and directv cinema?

With all due respect to charper1, you do NOT have to have your system connected to the internet for Whole Home DVR to work. But, you do have to have the correct setup. If you just follow everything in his diagram except the internet connection part, your whole home will work just fine. That is the way mine is setup currently.

If you want Video on Demand, then you need an internet connection. If you have a wireless router, I would suggest going with D*'s wireless cinema connection kit as the best (and least cost) way to do that. They list it on their site as the "self install" kit. Price is $31 including shipping.

On edit: I just reread your next to last post where you are discussing both MRV and VOD. But, my answer still stands, you do not need an internet connection for MRV.

Last edited:
I though he said (took a leap of faith on what he was trying to say) that he HAD the whole home working but when he wanted to connect to the net (I assumed for VOD, etc) he got disconnected. That's why I went the direction I did.

I though he said he HAD the whole home working but when he wanted to connect to the net (I assumed for VOD, etc) he got disconnected. That why I went the direction I idi.
On yet another review of all the posts, I agree that the language was a bit confusing. The way I read it was that somehow things had gone south on him and he wanted MRV to work. Your picture was spot-on for showing him how to hook things up correctly.

He only addressed VOD quite a bit later. If he has wireless, however, I would still recommend the D* wireless kit, vs the hard-wired DECA.

What the model number on that one? I listed the CCK-w; which one is that? Are there 2 possible products (excluding my "unsupported method")

charper1 said:
What the model number on that one? I listed the CCK-w; which one is that? Are there 2 possible products (excluding my "unsupported method")

Blue is wireless
White is wired

Attachments

• image-2217461912.png
    image-2217461912.png
    132.3 KB · Views: 121
  • image-3477798163.png
    image-3477798163.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 113
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)