Why AMC-1 Ku?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

chadg2

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2006
Maiden Rock, WI
Why do you guys think programmers like ESPN and High School Sports networks and other non-NBC networks choose to use AMC-1ku with it's screwed up skew to broadcast their live feeds? Wouldn't that be a pain in their rear's also getting the skew set just right at both the uplink and downlink of the feed? Just makes me mad when something I want to see is on this screwed up bird. I have my skew set correctly because this bird was supposed to be replaced like what over a year ago now? Thanks.

to piss us off? ;)

seriously though....maybe the TP space is cheap? Also the larger the dish you have the easier is it to pick them up. Obviously the larger companies have gigantic dishes (15 feet or larger) so the oddball skew is probably a moot point. Heck I know a 1.2m dish even with the wrong skew (wrong as in "normal") still can get the stuff fine

I thought the vertical side was fine and just the horizontal side is whacked out?

Well the vertical side tonight is giving me fits. Last night was just fine. Must be a very weak feed tonight. Thanks. Wish this bird would die. I'm thinking they won't replace with SES-3 till it does.

Commercial dishes at the downlinks have adjustable skew. No issue to dial in the correct offset in a few seconds.

Well the vertical side tonight is giving me fits. Last night was just fine. Must be a very weak feed tonight. Thanks. Wish this bird would die. I'm thinking they won't replace with SES-3 till it does.

Same here.. I adjusted the dish today and nada from ses1. I used to get the beach feeds easily but tonight there is not a peep of signal

Cheers, k

Chad's been watching the WI basketball like me all day, lol. Hey Chad mine was working ok with same skew for every other satellite today, I never even thought to switch to the fixed dish I have on 103KU. But, like you said, I did notice it was pretty weak on that V-signal, only was getting about 63%quality on it with my 1m primestar rig. But it was fine all day. The weather here was A0k and that probably made all the difference for me. Beach cams were great too.

Last edited:
A favorite feed of mine just recently moved from 83W to 103W. I found out about the move only minutes before I was to start recording. Needless to say, I scurried up the ladder and made the "ghetto" skew correction quickly.

I wondered the same thing, why they'd move the feed from 83W to 103W. Best reason I can think of is that, perhaps, TP space is considerably cheaper. I wonder if its cheap enough to offset the cost of re-aiming and re-skewing every dish mounted on cinema roofs nationwide? :D I doubt these are very large dishes, but maybe at 1.2 meters, it doesn't matter much. They still had to re-aim, though, unless they're using some sort of motorized setup. I've heard they're using Hughes equipment.

Last edited:
Am seriously going to go midieval here. Am at 103w. Getting the Beach cam feeds at 65'ish percent. I slowly rotated the LNB clockwise a full 360 degrees and I couldnt get the NBCs nor Cozi to come in (s 45%, Q10% never moved). What am I missing here? Trying to am to 11880 H 30000.

Tron, how you managed to pull off a "ghetto correction" so fast is beyond me.

Cheers, K

Am seriously going to go midieval here. Am at 103w. Getting the Beach cam feeds at 65'ish percent. I slowly rotated the LNB clockwise a full 360 degrees and I couldnt get the NBCs nor Cozi to come in (s 45%, Q10% never moved). What am I missing here? Trying to am to 11880 H 30000.

Tron, how you managed to pull off a "ghetto correction" so fast is beyond me.

Cheers, K

"65%-ish" on the beach cam feeds is a problem. I can't keep Cozi locked in mid-Michigan even on a 1.2 meter dish unless it's above 72%. Their signal is not easy to receive unless you are center of the beam. At the same time as Cozi is around 74+, the beach cam feeds for me would be 80%+.

Get your beach cam feeds up as high quality-wise as you can, pushing 80% and perhaps you have a chance at Cozi, otherwise forget it.

to piss us off? ;)

I thought the vertical side was fine and just the horizontal side is whacked out?

That's the way I see it. Vertical comes in on both my 10ft and 7.5ft dishes with standard skew. The 10ft will get some of those H TPs but the 7.5ft won't unless I skew the LNBF.

And speaking of those H TPs, I have a problem with sound on some of them?? Checked the PIDs and they seem to be correct but still the sound is screwed. I can get the correct audio on commercials but during the regular programming it sounds like half the audio is missing, ie, I get no voices but do get background music, etc? Anyone know how to fix that?

That's the way I see it. Vertical comes in on both my 10ft and 7.5ft dishes with standard skew. The 10ft will get some of those H TPs but the 7.5ft won't unless I skew the LNBF.

And speaking of those H TPs, I have a problem with sound on some of them?? Checked the PIDs and they seem to be correct but still the sound is screwed. I can get the correct audio on commercials but during the regular programming it sounds like half the audio is missing, ie, I get no voices but do get background music, etc? Anyone know how to fix that?
The audio is split between PIDS. You need to play all audio streams at once for the full soundtrack. But you can't do that so select the center channel PID to hear the dialouge. It's an NBC thing.

Funny how Thursday night the signal was very strong for me. Friday night was very weak for me. I'll try it today when they go Live and see what it's like. Do you think they would lower this signal strength from (1) day to the next?

"65%-ish" on the beach cam feeds is a problem. I can't keep Cozi locked in mid-Michigan even on a 1.2 meter dish unless it's above 72%. Their signal is not easy to receive unless you are center of the beam. At the same time as Cozi is around 74+, the beach cam feeds for me would be 80%+.

Get your beach cam feeds up as high quality-wise as you can, pushing 80% and perhaps you have a chance at Cozi, otherwise forget it.

It's completely different for me in the Maritimes. The beach cams don't come in high for me. Right now, the beach is 61Q and Cozi is 78Q. One metre dish and AZ Minime.

Using an s10, I have yet to see the quality exceed 76%. I'll try to increase it a bit before I attempt again, however, am not upgrading to a 1.2m dish for NBC.

Cheers, K

Funny how Thursday night the signal was very strong for me. Friday night was very weak for me. I'll try it today when they go Live and see what it's like. Do you think they would lower this signal strength from (1) day to the next?

Likewise... nada for yesterday and now its back.

Cheers, K

Wow up to a whopping 85% quality today, looking good! And no , I don't think they would vary the strength like that, could be the uplink isn't doing as it should be..

A favorite feed of mine just recently moved from 83W to 103W. I found out about the move only minutes before I was to start recording. Needless to say, I scurried up the ladder and made the "ghetto" skew correction quickly.

I wondered the same thing, why they'd move the feed from 83W to 103W. Best reason I can think of is that, perhaps, TP space is considerably cheaper. I wonder if its cheap enough to offset the cost of re-aiming and re-skewing every dish mounted on cinema roofs nationwide? :D I doubt these are very large dishes, but maybe at 1.2 meters, it doesn't matter much. They still had to re-aim, though, unless they're using some sort of motorized setup. I've heard they're using Hughes equipment.
If you're referring to the feed I think you are,the reason for the move was due to a new building between where they park the truck and the former feed sat,no LOS.This was posted on another site from someone who was there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)