Why are you leaving Dish Network Poll

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Why are you leaving Dish Network Poll

• Dish Discontinuing Absolute HD Package

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Dish Dropping Disney HD and ESPN News HD

Votes: 16 12.6%
  • The New Receiver fees

Votes: 87 68.5%
  • Dish Won't add ESPNU HD or AMC HD

Votes: 13 10.2%

• Total voters
He doesn't like the true and he attacks anyone who speaks it.
:rolleyes:
Oh...Please. That is why I acknowledge Hemi's post, and you conveniently ignored the fact that I did. Once again, being proven wrong
Yep, I stand correct. It was Dish and others providers (Direct not included) that lost subs
Looks like someone is feeling rather green. Care to admit that you are wrong, yet again?

I am the one and only person that post anything true about Direct on the Dish side. I see you still haven't acknowledged the FACT that you are WRONG about DirecTVs DVRs. Spreading false info about them, being called on it, and ignoring it, I see. At least I acknowledged when I was wrong (thus making what you said in this post, wrong). Here it is again, in case you missed it:
Yep, I stand correct. It was Dish and others providers (Direct not included) that lost subs
If you are going to say something that isn't true, you better first make sure there is no evidence to the contrary before you post

I'm staying cause Dish still has Absolute and D* can't touch that price.
To be fair, Dish can't touch that price either. That's why the package was closed to new subscribers years ago and they are starting to get serious about making that package disappear.

Nervermind D* still doesn't now how to make a HD DVR. :eek:
I think HR24 owners (including myself) would strongly disagree with that statement. I had the 722 with Dish for 3 years, and the HR24 matches the speeds of operations as the ViP series. There are some features the ViP series has (Picture-in-picture, slightly better recording options) that make them really great units, but nothing Dish is doing can touch the whole-home DVR functionality of the HR2x series. I can watch any program on any HD TV in my house, regardless of which DVR the program was recorded on.

DirecTV has the biggest advantage for sports fans though: full time HD regional sports networks. 100% of my Twins games have been in HD since I switched from Dish to DirecTV.

To be fair, Dish can't touch that price either. That's why the package was closed to new subscribers years ago and they are starting to get serious about making that package disappear.
Say what you want but they still have it.
I think HR24 owners (including myself) would strongly disagree with that statement. I had the 722 with Dish for 3 years, and the HR24 matches the speeds of operations as the ViP series. There are some features the ViP series has (Picture-in-picture, slightly better recording options) that make them really great units, but nothing Dish is doing can touch the whole-home DVR functionality of the HR2x series. I can watch any program on any HD TV in my house, regardless of which DVR the program was recorded on.
With out kicking the dead horse to much. Doesn't that require rewiring of the house and a unit on every TV?
DirecTV has the biggest advantage for sports fans though: full time HD regional sports networks. 100% of my Twins games have been in HD since I switched from Dish to DirecTV.
For me I could care less about most sports.

Say what you want but they still have it.
It was available from January of 2008 to about July of that same year. I had the package back when it was originally called DishHD and was later renamed to Dish Absolute. Comparing a promo package that was offered for 6 months 2 years ago to current programming packages is a corner case.

If it works for you, great. I hope you enjoy it for as long as it lasts.

With out kicking the dead horse to much. Doesn't that require rewiring of the house and a unit on every TV?
It does require a unit on every TV, but no special wiring is required. It works by using Ethernet over the same coax that feeds the satellite signal to each of the receivers, and that signal can be split using standard high frequency splitters so it is pretty much plug'n'play for homes that were already wired up for any other kind of video service.

If you want to watch programming in HD, regardless if you go with Dish or DirecTV you need a receiver at each TV. (the Dish RF TV2 output is SD only)

Dish charges $14/mo for each Duo HD DVR after the first. So with Dish I would have been paying $6 account DVR fee + $0 (first 722) + $14 (722 #2) + $14 (722 #3)

With DirecTV it's $7 account DVR fee, $3 multi-room DVR, $0 (First HR24) + $5 (HR24 #2) + $5 (HR24 #3)

So with Dish I would have been paying $34/mo for 3 dual-tuner HD DVRs. With DirecTV I'm paying $20 for 3 dual-tunder HD DVRs, and as an added bonus I can watch something recorded on any DVR on any of the 3 units.

How about HR 21,22,23 customers.;)

Since thats 98% of the Directv HD DVRs out there.:)
This thread is about leaving Dish to be a new subscriber with some other TV provider. From what we've seen in both the forums and experiences from my friends who recently signed up, most new subs signing up for MRV with DirecTV are getting HR24s as part of the new install, so ostensibly it is a more apt comparison.

Edit: The functionality across the models is roughly the same, the big difference with the HR24 is speed.

This thread is about leaving Dish to be a new subscriber with some other TV provider. From what we've seen in both the forums and experiences from my friends who recently signed up, most new subs signing up for MRV with DirecTV are getting HR24s as part of the new install, so ostensibly it is a more apt comparison.

Edit: The functionality across the models is roughly the same, the big difference with the HR24 is speed.
The Functionality is the problem.
Speed has been issue since 2006.
Its 2010 now. And I bet 100,000 Directv subscribers don't even have HR24.

So for those people who bought HR 21,22,23 to get speed (which it should have had in the first place) they now have to buy another one. :confused:
That sucks for them.

So for those people who bought HR 21,22,23 to get speed (which it should have had in the first place) they now have to buy another one. :confused:
That argument that defies logic. That's like saying Intel should have given me an i7 processor when I bought my computer 2 years ago, even though it didn't even exist at the time.

As time marches forward, technology gets better. The newer receivers are faster than the receivers that rolled off the production line 2-3 years ago. This should surprise no-one.

That argument that defies logic. That's like saying Intel should have given me an i7 processor when I bought my computer 2 years ago, even though it didn't even exist at the time.

As time marches forward, technology gets better. The newer receivers are faster than the receivers that rolled off the production line 2-3 years ago. This should surprise no-one.
Can you tell me when Dish have that problem with its HD-DVR's (during the same years)? I can't remember Dish ever having that problem.
But I do remember everyone waiting for updates from D* to fix the problem. But that never happened.:eek:

Can you tell me when wait when Dish have that problem with its HD-DVR's?
I had a 921 PVR back in the day -- that was ridiculously expensive, slow, and was obsoleted by Dish's conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4. Same with the Dish 942 HD DVR.

Dish didn't start off with the ViP series for HD - they had a couple iterations to get them there.

But I do remember everyone waiting for updates from D* to fix the problem. But that never happened.:eek:
Dish's software has been far from bug free. Did they ever fix the problem where watching program from beginning to end off the external hard drive will cause the recording to be deleted?

When it came to speed, for the last couple years Dish did have the advantage with the ViP series. The HR24 evens things up pretty well for DirecTV.

For me (and a lot of other people) it comes down to content, especially HD coverage for local sports. Dish might have a kickass receiver, but if they don't allocate the capacity to show my local teams in HD when Comcast and DirecTV do, then what the heck good is it? Eventually I got sick of recording games in SD with my HD ViP 722 receiver (because of Dish's broadcast limitations), and switched.

I had a 921 PVR back in the day -- that was ridiculously expensive, slow, and was obsoleted by Dish's conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4. Same with the Dish 942 HD DVR.

Dish didn't start off with the ViP series for HD - they had a couple iterations to get them there.

Dish's software has been far from bug free. Did they ever fix the problem where watching program from beginning to end off the external hard drive will cause the recording to be deleted?

When it came to speed, for the last couple years Dish did have the advantage with the ViP series. The HR24 evens things up pretty well for DirecTV.

For me (and a lot of other people) it comes down to content, especially HD coverage for local sports. Dish might have a kickass receiver, but if they don't allocate the capacity to show my local teams in HD when Comcast and DirecTV do, then what the heck good is it? Eventually I got sick of recording games in SD with my HD ViP 722 receiver (because of Dish's broadcast limitations), and switched.

The 942 wasn't made obsolete by switch to MPEG4 it had to be pulled due to it's being part of the Tivo debacle. They replaced them w/ VIP 622's.
You've stated the best reason to go somewhere else: content.

Can you tell me when Dish have that problem with its HD-DVR's (during the same years)? I can't remember Dish ever having that problem.
One of the reasons why DirecTVs DVRs, except for the new one (which is why the still comment is false), are slow is because they do way too much for what they can handle. DirecTVs DVRs are more interactive than Dish's and can do much more.

Dish's DVRs can do some things that DirecTV's cannot, such as PIP. But with the totality of all interactive features and other features, DirecTVs DVRs can do more.

The issue with the HR21,22, and 23, is that they should not have enabled them to do as much as they can do. Heck the interactive score guide alone slows down channel changing more than when it is disabled.

I had a VIP 622 in 2007 when I first signed up with Dish, and Its better then ANYTHING Directv had or even has right now hooked up to my TV as far a performance and proper function.

So IMHO , D* is 4 years late to the party, since 2011 is around the corner.

HR 24 or not, Fact is Millions upon millions of us Don't have them.
Because the other HR's stick, D* should upgrade us all with HR24 for Free.

I had a VIP 622 in 2007 when I first signed up with Dish, and Its better then ANYTHING Directv had or even has right now hooked up to my TV as far a performance and proper function.

:up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)