OTHER Why can't a upgradeble STB be built

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
With the trend to build boxes with sat and iptv capabilities imbedded why cant a box be built with future proof technology? Is it because no one would spend the money? I do not think so. I think these companies like to take our money then move on. The support on most modern day STB's suck. They are hot for a few months, then the next greatest thing comes along only to be were the last box was a few months ago. To be honest my X2 mini does as good as my A3 for sat viewing and doesn't crash and burn regularly. I know we don't want to spend big bucks, but if you can put a perfectly working version of Kodi on a $35 dollar Raspberry Pi and a perfectly good S2 sat receiver on a $35 X2 then someone should be able to build a $150 set top box that can do both and be upgradeable for a few years. Any opinions?

Yes that's true. Lots of people are doing it already too, just no businesses selling an already finished product. An rpi2 is about $40 and a TBS 5980 is about $80. There you have a great setup.

UDL

Reactions: Titanium
We have had this discussion before. Great idea! :)

Many of us have played around with the RPI2 and tuners. Fun, but as it is currently done, way beyond the abilities of an average STB user.

In my opinion, the best solution for a hobbyist to future-proof is a computer and DVB satellite tuner. The tuner can be swapped out to support new modulations / encoding types and the video card can be upgraded to support additional resolutions.

Simply put, a STB is limited to the modulations, decoding, output resolutions supported by the hardware installed at time of the build. Most STBs are SOC based for signal processing, av outputs, LAN connections and use proprietary coding. While it might be possible to swap to a compatible tuner, it isn't possible to swap the signal and video processors.

Yes, it would be simple to create the hardware for an open source STB. Would suggest that the most difficult part of the project would be to reach a consensus between hobbyists on the hardware build, buy-in on the cost then collect the funds or deposit to manufacture.

In my opinion, the best solution for a hobbyist to future-proof is a computer and DVB satellite tuner. The tuner can be swapped out to support new modulations / encoding types and the video card can be upgraded to support additional resolutions.

Slightly off topic,but: Is there a STB or PC Sat card that will get me the 4.2.2 feeds without spending an arm and a leg? I'm happy with the GeoSatPro Micro except I'd like a second 'box' to hunt for 4.2.2 feeds.Single tuner is fine,no recording needed.I don't need ACM(?) for the radio channels either.

I don't want to buy some Chinese junk and wind up with no Dolby or whatever.Trying to read the specifications make my head spin.Some of the specs seem to be confusing by design. :confused:

Thanks for any suggestions!

Even the cheapest DVBS PCI (e) card will do MPEG2 4:2:2. I would at least go for a S2 card. A TBS DVBS2 card is about $80. If powering more than a single LNB, choose a model with separate power cable. The PCIe power is inadequate for powering multiple LNBs or motors.

A free option is to record the 4:2:2 services on your microHD DVR and playback on a PC. You could also buy any streaming capable DVBS2 receiver and send over to a media box or computer to display live.

TBS6922SE DVB-S2 - I like the fact that it has Linux support also. I might give it a try. It's not something that the wife would want to use though. Not sure if it can be controlled by a smartphone or other wireless device. Having a noisy PC sitting next to the TV so that the IR remote can be used isn't the kind of solution I want.

Many have never owned a DVBS2 PCI card and have the same misconceptions as you have mentioned. I don't keep the HTPC next to the TV either and would challenge anyone to pick-up my remote control and not think they are using a regular STB. I have used USB and PCI cards for years and they are as easy to operate, or easier than some dedicated STBs!

Many control options are available to suit the user... Simple or complex Android LAN or RF remotes, mini AV controllers, wireless keyboards, IR extenders, etc. When you wife or kids use the system, have a simple 8 - 10 key remote to provide channel/volume/mute and DVR function. When you set-up, program or are in hobbyist mode, use a wireless keyboard.

Even though we have several simple traditional type remotes for the home HTPC, my wife likes using the mini wireless keyboard with mouse pad so she can point and click rather than navigating with remote control keys.

Reactions: KE4EST
Many have never owned a DVBS2 PCI card and have the same misconceptions as you have mentioned. I don't keep the HTPC next to the TV either and would challenge anyone to pick-up my remote control and not think they are using a regular STB. I have used USB and PCI cards for years and they are as easy to operate, or easier than some dedicated STBs!

Many control options are available to suit the user... Simple or complex Android LAN or RF remotes, mini AV controllers, wireless keyboards, IR extenders, etc. When you wife or kids use the system, have a simple 8 - 10 key remote to provide channel/volume/mute and DVR function. When you set-up, program or are in hobbyist mode, use a wireless keyboard.

Even though we have several simple traditional type remotes for the home HTPC, my wife likes using the mini wireless keyboard with mouse pad so she can point and click rather than navigating with remote control keys.

I've used an IR extender with a remotely located VHF/UHF antenna rotator with no success. But, I might try a different model to see if that solves my problem.

BTW, I've noticed that these PCI cards have a CAM card slot. Will they ever allow us to sub to scrambled FTA transmissions with these devices? Probably not but it sure would be nice to have something like that. I would prefer free stuff, though.

I just placed an order for a TBS6922SE DVB-S2 TV Tuner PCIe Card. I hope it doesn't create additional headaches.

The 6922 will do good for an htpc setup. If you're looking to do feed hunting and more advanced things with your card there are imo better cards out there. The sky star 2 express hd is about the same price, maybe a little more. And is a much better cards for blind scan, spectrum scan, iq plots etc.

The skystar card is supported under my kernel but not the mainline kernel. But the 6922 isn't supported under the mainline kernel either. So it's a moot point.

UDL

The 6922 will do good for an htpc setup. If you're looking to do feed hunting and more advanced things with your card there are imo better cards out there. The sky star 2 express hd is about the same price, maybe a little more. And is a much better cards for blind scan, spectrum scan, iq plots etc.

The skystar card is supported under my kernel but not the mainline kernel. But the 6922 isn't supported under the mainline kernel either. So it's a moot point.

There always seems to be a better item than what I bought. We'll see how this card works. It might just do all that I want. If not, I'll just keep trying cards until I find one that is usable - I'd rather keep buying cards rather than spending hours or even days looking through reviews that may or may not be truthful.

As for running under Linux, the manufacturer says it'll work on Linux so I expect it to do so, without a lot of hassle to get it to work, or I'll never buy from them again.

Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit, kernel 3.19.0-26-generic

Is there anything on the birds that would justify spending the extra bucks for 16APSK and 32APSK?

Is there anything on the birds that would justify spending the extra bucks for 16APSK and 32APSK?

Receivers such as the Manhattan RS1933 (no longer in production, but first model made in 2011) can handle both 16 and 32APSK. The real issue is whether or not you have a large enough dish to provide enough signal to extract these transmissions, which in many cases might take a 16 footer on C-band or a 2.4 meter offset on Ku. An even bigger question is whether there is anything worth watching on a continuous basis at all. I would have to say probably not.
Unless you are of the DXer type mentality that wants to simply see if you can do it, and then move on to another signal.

Receivers such as the Manhattan RS1933 (no longer in production, but first model made in 2011) can handle both 16 and 32APSK. The real issue is whether or not you have a large enough dish to provide enough signal to extract these transmissions, which in many cases might take a 16 footer on C-band or a 2.4 meter offset on Ku. An even bigger question is whether there is anything worth watching on a continuous basis at all. I would have to say probably not.
Unless you are of the DXer type mentality that wants to simply see if you can do it, and then move on to another signal.

I could do the Ku but the city won't give me a permit for a 16 footer. I wouldn't want to spend the money for a 16 footer at today's prices anyway. I didn't think there was much up there for 16/32 APSK anyway.