Why doesn't this work?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Where do I find the updated channel list?
C3 is gone. X9 has now appeared on my screen of Satellite choices. G1 seems to be the same.

The NPS website is loaded with good info. I was able to find out that my receiver's memory was full, requiring a master reset, which I did. After that, I had to start all over again programming satellites back in. NPS website also recommends a new servo motor for my polarizer, based on my symptoms. It may still be just in the wiring.
The big pain however, is that I can't get into the VideoCipher menu. I am supposed to hit Options-9-1-1, and there obtain my VideoCipher Unit ID, but when I try that, I am stopped at the 9, with a message telling me that I must be on a VideoCipher channel in order to do that, and it tells me the nearest channel number to go to. The problem is that I am already on a VideoCipher channel, and no matter which channel it sends me to, I get rejected the same way at number 9. I have tried a dozen different channels already... maybe more. And yes, I do have a good DCII light each time.

It may not be installed, look at the Back of the reveiver, it a "Slide In" unit, about the size of a School Book, usually Pink, Blue, or Black. It's no biggie, VideoCipher is no longer used, skip that part and get the 4DTV unit ID - Option, 6, 5 - it should match the sticker on the Back, or call NPS and they can walk you through it.

No longer used? I've been beating myself up over that foolish pink thing!
This whole project has been for my oldest son. So I showed him the packages, from NPS, but he wasn't satisfied with the combination of programs offered. Any of them. After searching the web, he found what he wanted from a NPS competitor. But the catch is this: this other company displays a message about how much they save their customers by no longer taking phone calls. So to order service, you have to fill out their online form, which includes the VideoCipher number, as well as the Unit ID. It figures that my son found the package he wants with this other company. The basic package is $44.00 for three months, plus another $3.15 to have the Sci-Fi channel added in to those three months. Their online form will not accept orders with the VideoCipher number that I can't get to.
It's been a long struggle only to have to stop here.

Well, I caved in to overwhelming pressure on this end. I know you would have preferred that we went with NPS, but my son wanted the other guy's package. So I signed up using a phony VideoCipher number, but using our actual Unit Id. The Hits counter then went up from zero to 8, so I thought all was going to be well. The time of day didn't change, but I figured that would happen later.
Now to find out what our $57.00 just bought us, besides 8 rehits. At G1 3, I pressed the Guide button. Hmmm, no IPG. Okay let's go to C3 600. Nothing, no Home & Garden. Well how about C3 601, Food Network East; Nothing.
C3 602, Food Network West; nothing
C3 603, nothing
C3 604, nothing
C3 605, nothing
C3 606, nothing.
That's all we were supposed to get from C3. Maybe we'll have better luck on C4.
C4 600, nothing
C4 602, nothing
C4 603 (this is Animal Planet, one of my son's desired channels), nothing!
G3 600 (Cartoon Network), nothing!
W5 642, (Sci-Fi Channel), nothing!
Okay, pick one at random from the package, TNT on G3 584, and check values; Strength 70, Quality 99!! Wow, that's gotta be clear, but instead the screen says we are not subscribed, and we should contact our service provider.
Basically, they took $57.00 for 8 rehits.

Though it's called an Instant Rehit, give it a little time.
Do the soft reset, put it on G1 Ch3, unplug for 2 minutes, plug in and walk away for 20 minutes.
Then power up, and request a Rehit again and give it 15 minutes.

Okay, pick one at random from the package, TNT on G3 584, and check values; Strength 70, Quality 99!! Wow, that's gotta be clear, but instead the screen says we are not subscribed, and we should contact our service provider.
I don't get 99 quality on ANYTHING. It should vary some between channels. Mine are between 76 and 90 or so. Check a bunch of them... if they all read 99, there's gotta be something else wrong. :confused:

The big pain however, is that I can't get into the VideoCipher menu. I am supposed to hit Options-9-1-1, and there obtain my VideoCipher Unit ID, but when I try that, I am stopped at the 9, with a message telling me that I must be on a VideoCipher channel in order to do that, and it tells me the nearest channel number to go to. The problem is that I am already on a VideoCipher channel, and no matter which channel it sends me to, I get rejected the same way at number 9. I have tried a dozen different channels already... maybe more. And yes, I do have a good DCII light each time.
Even though it's too late for VCII -a little FYI: There's no way you checked a DOZEN VC channels as there's only 3. C3-13, G5-9 and G5-14. There's a "VC" light and a "DC" light on the receiver. VC is analog, DC is digital.

Although you are far more experienced at this Euro, I know what it told me to do. Since you have called me to question in front of who knows how many people, I have gone back and photographed the first part of the series of a dozen or more channels it sent me to, in search of my VideoCipher number.
In photo 0001, I am on channel G1 3, and you can see the screen instruction telling me to go to G1 channel 1.
Photo 0002, G1 1 tells me to go to G1 6.
Photo 0003, G1 6 tells me to go to G1 7.
Photo 0004, G1 7 tells me to go to G1 8.
Photo 0005, G1 8 tells me to go to G1 9.
Photo 0006, G1 9 tells me to go to G1 10...
and on and on. As I said in my earlier post, I checked a dozen, maybe more, following this procedure that the receiver was doling out to me. And to be even more accurate, I stopped getting up and peeking around at the front of my receiver after the first few times. The DCII light was always on, so I stopped getting up and walking over to it. My receiver is facing the wall because I need to check my polarization wires often, as you can assume from reading my earlier posts.
As for TNT on G3 584, Signal strength shows up as around 70, and Quality comes in at 99, with occasional drops to 96. It jumps back and forth between 99 and 96. If I move the antenna, the number drops quickly. Upon checking other channels, G3 584 turns out to be unique in my system, no other channel comes close to the 90s.
I have not yet found a VC light on my receiver, but I have not really been looking for one. I have been rather bogged down with other problems. The only reason I even became aware of the DCII light is because someone on this forum mentioned it.
I may not be a boy scout, but I try not to exaggerate, like I did with seeing the DCII light *every* time. But it WAS on every time I looked. I appreciate those of you who have helped me, and I try to tell you what I'm seeing on this end. If it doesn't seem real, don't assume first that I'm a liar. Maybe it's an anomaly.

Attachments

• DSC_0001.JPG
    DSC_0001.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0002.JPG
    DSC_0002.JPG
    252.1 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC_0003.JPG
    DSC_0003.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0004.JPG
    DSC_0004.JPG
    230.9 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC_0005.JPG
    DSC_0005.JPG
    255.5 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0006.JPG
    DSC_0006.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 109
Sorry Lak, I didn't mean to skip over your post. I did the soft reset procedure as you described and magic!! All the subscribed channels (except for one) came through, the FTA channels are still there, and the clock now displays what must be East Coast time. Amazing! After all this work, we can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel. Also, the polarizer seems to be working, but I have to keep my eye on the broken connector on the rear of the receiver, until I can replace it. Another interesting observation; after the master reset, I noticed that the remote now goes sequentially up and down through the channels, like 5, 6, 7, 8, etc, instead of skipping, like 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. I wonder if that has to do with the memory having been full, or because the receiver could sense the open circuit which was the disconnected polarizer wire?
The channel we can't get is Sci-Fi, which for us is on W5. I guess I'll have to keep searching in that general direction, because I don't know of any tricks to locating W5 precisely. The NPS channel map makes W5 look empty of signals.
Thanks for all your help.

.......Another interesting observation; after the master reset, I noticed that the remote now goes sequentially up and down through the channels, like 5, 6, 7, 8, etc, instead of skipping, like 2, 4, 6, 8, etc......

I am totally 4DTV illiterate, so this is just a guess, but on my old analog Toshiba TRX-1820 you can select whether your remote selects channels sequentially (1,2,3,4,5...) or if it "skips" channels (1,3,5,7,9....).

Your master reset may have defaulted your channel selection to sequential, I'm pretty sure that is the default selection in my Toshiba.

That's an interesting possibility, that the remote may have been previously programmed to skip to every other channel. I sure don't know where they mention it in the manual, which I downloaded Monday. There is far more information on the NPS website, than in the manual.

I get rejected the same way at number 9. I have tried a dozen different channels already... maybe more. And yes, I do have a good DCII light each time.
Which is why the rejection....it wanted the VCII light to be on. Like LAK7 said though, this doesn't matter now since there's no VCII left to sub to.

Although you are far more experienced at this Euro, I know what it told me to do. Since you have called me to question in front of who knows how many people, I have gone back and photographed the first part of the series of a dozen or more channels it sent me to, in search of my VideoCipher number.
In photo 0001, I am on channel G1 3, and you can see the screen instruction telling me to go to G1 channel 1.
Photo 0002, G1 1 tells me to go to G1 6.
Photo 0003, G1 6 tells me to go to G1 7.
Photo 0004, G1 7 tells me to go to G1 8.
Photo 0005, G1 8 tells me to go to G1 9.
Photo 0006, G1 9 tells me to go to G1 10...
and on and on. As I said in my earlier post, I checked a dozen, maybe more, following this procedure that the receiver was doling out to me. And to be even more accurate, I stopped getting up and peeking around at the front of my receiver after the first few times. The DCII light was always on, so I stopped getting up and walking over to it. My receiver is facing the wall because I need to check my polarization wires often, as you can assume from reading my earlier posts.
As for TNT on G3 584, Signal strength shows up as around 70, and Quality comes in at 99, with occasional drops to 96. It jumps back and forth between 99 and 96. If I move the antenna, the number drops quickly. Upon checking other channels, G3 584 turns out to be unique in my system, no other channel comes close to the 90s.
I have not yet found a VC light on my receiver, but I have not really been looking for one. I have been rather bogged down with other problems. The only reason I even became aware of the DCII light is because someone on this forum mentioned it.
I may not be a boy scout, but I try not to exaggerate, like I did with seeing the DCII light *every* time. But it WAS on every time I looked. I appreciate those of you who have helped me, and I try to tell you what I'm seeing on this end. If it doesn't seem real, don't assume first that I'm a liar. Maybe it's an anomaly.
I see now about the channels. Most everything about a 4DTV including that menu, is outdated, and it's suggesting channels that no longer exist. That's where the communication breakdown on my end occured, because I've never seen that menu. I've always been on a VCII channel if I hit "9"in options. Wait 'till you start looking around the guide and see all the listings for channels that are gone now. And I wasn't calling anyone a liar, you became confused and thought DCII was VCII, no biggie, but that's why I said there was no way, since there's only 3 VCII channels left. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers.

If your dish have been there a while and is aimed like it is supposed to, then you need to redo your settings from your 4DTV receiver.
The dish position on G1 should be around 5000. Your picture show the setting at 6699, WAY off! You need to redo your dish settings, including the east/west limit settings. I remember reading from somewhere online that the dish setting on G1 should be around 5000.
Go to the Skyvision.com site and see if they still have the trouble shooting guide. Go to Google and do a search on "Rick's Satellite". He got a section on 4DTV and you can email him about the setup.
When I get back from the hills this evening, I will find some info for you that will help you set that dish right on your system.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)