Why have it if Quality is bad :no

VOOM's engineers have been very open to address problems with signal or stb. The stutter is one example in which they have already identified the problem and it sounds like it has been corrected in the next software upgrade. So it is good to bring these issues to light in a professional manner so that everybody understands what it is the issue at hand.

ChetK: thanks for those pictures makes it quite clearly what to look for. If you are home tonight at around 9pm EST I would like to invite you to the Chat Room so that you can pick a channel and a program on V* and walks us through it. Is that ok? Let me look for the chat room link.

Vreesar said:
Oops, scratch the comment I had initially put here for you scubasoul.

Chetk, I understand what your saying but the Source is the same for everyone and for you or a couple others to be experiencing the problem and other not see'ing the same means that it HAS to be your equipment. Either faulty equipments/software or install.

Not so Vreesar, there are lots of people here who don't see the "stutter" problem, but it has been confirmed by Voom/Wilt, and it IS there.

Sean Mota said:
ChetK: thanks for those pictures makes it quite clearly what to look for. If you are home tonight at around 9pm EST I would like to invite you to the Chat Room so that you can pick a channel and a program on V* and walks us through it. Is that ok? Let me look for the chat room link.

ARE WE ALL INVITED?

gutter said:
ARE WE ALL INVITED?

Yes, everybody is welcome. The chat is a public place available to all members. We are also going to keep a transcript and make it available here.

I see the halo effect quite often, but not all the time and not on all channels. I seem to notice it a lot around lettering. I won't be home tonight or I'd join the chat.

Sean,

The problem is that we don't have "real time" in that chat room, that is, it is not like the stutter, which happens each 33 sec, you may have a scene where it is obvious, but that scene has past by the time you read the message.

Do this, go right now to HBOHD (East) and watch "The Fugitive". Go close to the TV (it's better to see then) and watch for a while "heads", "arms", etc. (anything with a "sharp" edge") against a light background.

You should be able to see it.

Yes, I agree but it will help I think. Now has anybody tried to record to their DVD hard disk recorder (in SD) and seeing the halo there as well.

I have been following this forum throughout the day. Since I have only had HD with Voom, I have nothing to compare it to unless I go to a retailer (which is useless). Thanks for those of you who have been continuing this thread. It has been very educational for a novice like myself.

So the chat is at 9pm EST. What does that translate to EDT since we are now on daylight savings time? (someone has to be the smart a**)

Sean Mota said:
Yes, I agree but it will help I think. Now has anybody tried to record to their DVD hard disk recorder (in SD) and seeing the halo there as well.

I see it right now on HBO, but it's not like you see it perfectly all the time.
It's kind of like the chroma bug w/ DVD players, in certain scenes it's easy to see, in others it's not (you need to have at least a second, or two, with little or no motion)

I just spent what I consider some decent viewing time ( 1/2 hour) searching and searching for this CA on numerous HD channels and I just don't see it. I know what it looks like since I spend a considerable time with digital photography.

Maybe it is the STB. I say this because of all the folks that are constantly saying their STB crashes...and mine hasn't in over three months. I've done the A-B thing with D* and don't see the picture quality difference. I've never denied the micro stutters, they have been there since day one.

I'll def try to jump in on the 'chat' and try to see what others do if a specific show is pointed out.

Mr. Biggles said:
I just spent what I consider some decent viewing time ( 1/2 hour) searching and searching for this CA on numerous HD channels and I just don't see it. I know what it looks like since I spend a considerable time with digital photography.

Maybe it is the STB. I say this because of all the folks that are constantly saying their STB crashes...and mine hasn't in over three months. I've done the A-B thing with D* and don't see the picture quality difference. I've never denied the micro stutters, they have been there since day one.

I'll def try to jump in on the 'chat' and try to see what others do if a specific show is pointed out.

Yeah, that's the problem with this kind of problem. It's not like a "black screen".

I guess the only way to really show it to someone who does not see it is actually to point it out on the screen. It will be very difficult, if not impossible, to do that in a chat room, i.e., some will say it's there and describe what to look for, the other's will say it's not there.

It's the same with the chroma bug. I used to have a Sony DVD player with the bug, never saw it for over a year. Then I read articles about the bug and how to identify/see it (e.g. menu of Toy Story). That was it, saw it all the time. Now I have a Denon without the bug.

Ignorance is bliss! :)

WOW Factor is almost the basis for HDTV

Sean Mota said:
Cinema 10 movies will not show the wow factor. These are old movies whose masters are not great to begin with. Look for Wow Factor on Rush, WorldSport, Discovery (when program is not transferred), Hdnews, etc.
Sean, for the first time I disagree with you on something. I got a WOW factor when watching "Hogan's Heros" on HDNet and I see much less of a WOW factor with VOOM Discovery than I did with DirecTV Discovery.

PQ is something I have taken note of and honestly I have been watching more SD Tivo lately than Voom and I have only had Voom a little over a week.

Alright everybody,

Please take a look at Worldsport right now. When they show the wide shots of the players on the field, there is a halo around every player on the green grass.

ChetK said:
Alright everybody,

Please take a look at Worldsport right now. When they show the wide shots of the players on the field, there is a halo around every player on the green grass.

Yes, very obvious!

Check out DHDT too.

I've noticed what you're talking about before in every sport I've ever seen in HD. Kind of a shimmer around the players. I've seen this on my cable HD (horribly compressed signals admitted to by them). I guess I thought it was supposed to look that. It doesn't look bad or anything, but it's noticeable.

cyuhnke said:
I've noticed what you're talking about before in every sport I've ever seen in HD. Kind of a shimmer around the players. I've seen this on my cable HD (horribly compressed signals admitted to by them). I guess I thought it was supposed to look that. It doesn't look bad or anything, but it's noticeable.

It's not supposed to look like that :)

Scubasoul said:
It's not supposed to look like that :)

I know that makes me sound dumb, but how are HD novices supposed to know what it's supposed to look like? The only services I've had for HD are Voom and cable. The first thing I ever saw on INHD was an Orioles game. I remember thinking how "shiny" the players looked, and I just assumed it was because HD picked up the artificial lighting so well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)