Why is Direct Tv so expensive ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
With fios, I use a tivo hd dvr with cablecard, nothing beats it.

You can have the best box in the world but if there is nothing in the box for me then its just a pretty box.

Fios isnt available to most of the people in the US, so its not a viable option to most people in the US at this time. So can we leave it out of the conversation as the thread, believe it or not, was about D*?

(Someone call homeland security cuz this thread has been hijacked!)

The question was why is D* so expensive and the answer is simple.

They believe at this price point they will maximize their profits.

Now we can debate forever as to whether or not this will or wont happen but thats nuts.

If you want to start a thread about the best "value" in providers that is your perogative.

I am astonished that noone stated the obvious question to dishdave. Which is this "expensive is a relative term, what are you comparing it too?"

To which he would have spouted off about Fios this or E* that and to which my response would have been you cant compare pricing because it comes down to opinion.

D*s channel lineup and pq are unique unto themselves. While you may not value sports some do. While you may not value D*s pq some do. So while you say expensive I say why would anyone spend a dollar on anything else that doesnt give you the opportunity to have the Sunday Ticket!

Because to me the Sunday Ticket has great value, and to you it may not.

I'm not sure how many departments Directv has, but I am convinced that my account got issued to the "scam him for as much as you can get" department.

First off, I have had no problems with the pq and I like my channel selections for the most part. No major complaints from the satellite service.

Customer service and billing... don't even get me started. It was expensive when I signed up, and they make it even more expensive with complications that they do not foresee and I sure as heck don't foresee either. Refer to my post "Fed up with billing issues" for my experience with customer service and billing.

The lack of coordination between the sales, shipping, and billing departments is ridiculous.

So my answer to the question is:
Directv is expensive because they are trying to maximize profits and minimize customer satisfaction, and they have a strong hold on the market and are abusing the power that they have currently, so they do not have to worry too much about how satisfied you, the customer, may be.

Doubt it

You get what you pay for.

Doubt that. Certainly with D* HD-DVR they should pay me $200 to try it.....I could pay it but the 2 year makes me want to. They have lost a Platinum plus sub for 6+ years because of their contracts and prices....
I can:
1. Stick with DISH and wait it out a few months, maybe less for SciFi/USA in HD. [I don't watch them in blurryvision]

2. I can get USA-HD and SciFi-HD for 6 months if I switch to Comcast, plus local Fox-HD that doesn't break up :D :eureka Thanks for CONUS DISH :eek: :cool:

3. DTV is always LAST CHOICE because of the 2yr. contract. I WILL NOT LIKELY EVER sign a contract for -just- TV. caveat -unless I can't move for Baseball-since I have DISH......P*** on you MLB...you greedy B*****ds...:cool:

Well it looks like Dish is going to be able to make AMC 14 work which is a good thing,so now you can stay with Dish and be happy with the programming you have or don't have.Good Luck!:)

You are correct sir thank god i dont have to get involved with DTV the sat pig...:)

And if any staff member want's to close this thread they are welcome i posted 1 thread here since 2003 and i am considered a troll. The only thing this thread brought to my attention is what DTV is all about.

I will keep my 2 Rock solid dish vip 722s and my rock solid fast vip 211 and enjoy my programming.

From where I sit, and when I think of DirecTV I think of them as the "Gold Standard" of satellite television. If you want the best TV, the best sports etc. then you want DirecTV.

DirecTV has never been advertised as the bargin satellite service.

DirecTV does some things better then Dish Network, and vice versa.

As a matter of fact, for the past 2 years, D* has been bragging about raising the credit standings of its customers, and shutting off the marginal credit, late payers etc.

This has resulted in lower churn in the current market conditions, and higher average dollars per sub.

It may not be the plan that best suits you in particular, but it is obviously working for them.

Also, no one would prefer to have to put out for upfront costs for leased equipment, but they know that people are less likely to leave if their skin is in the game.

My experience is that after being with them, paying on time, etc., they are more than willing to give free (or low cost) upgrades, free programming (like SuperFan for MLB and NFL).

FIOS offers the best HD quality at any pricepoint.:)
Its not like they are filling up the bandwith with more channels.

Q, hook me up! Run your little FIOS wire from your house over to mine here in Wisconsin. Otherwise, for us like MOST of the USA, FIOS PQ is completely horrible, black.
Charper1 said:
EXACTLY! The PQ sucks; as in black, as it is not offered at ALL - at ANY PRICE;
ScoBuck said:
When is that channel comparison that you promised by yesterday being posted?
Questioner said:
more local channels in HD in most markets
Yes for all you poor saps without PBS, I hear you missed yet another begfest last weekend, while some of us are still without all the ratings winners on CW.
FIOS has ZERO locals in HD in my market.

And if any staff member want's to close this thread they are welcome i posted 1 thread here since 2003 and i am considered a troll. The only thing this thread brought to my attention is what DTV is all about.

I will keep my 2 Rock solid dish vip 722s and my rock solid fast vip 211 and enjoy my programming.

What do you expect when you make the comment you did and then don't even answer the questions that were asked back to you. If somebody did the same thing in the Dish forum all the Dish subs would be calling them a troll in an instant.

From where I sit, and when I think of DirecTV I think of them as the "Gold Standard" of satellite television. If you want the best TV, the best sports etc. then you want DirecTV.

DirecTV has never been advertised as the bargin satellite service.

DirecTV does some things better then Dish Network, and vice versa.

Well said Scott.

What do you expect when you make the comment you did and then don't even answer the questions that were asked back to you. If somebody did the same thing in the Dish forum all the Dish subs would be calling them a troll in an instant.

Good point!

He said it would cost him $360? to get DirecTV for the same HDDVR/HD arrangement, but he did not tell us how long he had his 722's/211 and how he managed to pay only $50? A regular E* sub certainly can not get that.

I can tell you I had 4 DirecTV HDDVR's and with some special deals I got from D* I ended up paying only $260 for all four, and my monthly will be $55 after all the discounts for the first year, that includes the Choice Extra, HD pack, locals (both SD/HD) and DVR fee for all four HDDVR's, oh yeah free Showtiem for the first year too.

I wonder how much he is paying E* now for what? When I was with E* they did offer me some great deals too, but I had to pay $550 for the 3rd HDDVR, no could not lease it. Had they leased me the 3rd HDDVR, I would have stayed because I liked E* very much, just as I like D* right now.

The devil is in the details, and if you can't provide them then yes you are a troll.

Doubt that. Certainly with D* HD-DVR they should pay me $200 to try it.....I could pay it but the 2 year makes me want to. They have lost a Platinum plus sub for 6+ years because of their contracts and prices....
I can:
1. Stick with DISH and wait it out a few months, maybe less for SciFi/USA in HD. [I don't watch them in blurryvision]

2. I can get USA-HD and SciFi-HD for 6 months if I switch to Comcast, plus local Fox-HD that doesn't break up :D :eureka Thanks for CONUS DISH :eek: :cool:

3. DTV is always LAST CHOICE because of the 2yr. contract. I WILL NOT LIKELY EVER sign a contract for -just- TV. caveat -unless I can't move for Baseball-since I have DISH......P*** on you MLB...you greedy B*****ds...:cool:

What ???

I have D* and I don't have "Blurryvision" when watching Sci Fi or USA ....
My FOX local comes from an antenna, it's FREE that way , and it NEVER has break up problems.

Why is it D*'s fault that E* is too cheap to get in on the MLB EI package, they had thier chance last year and didn't . I have not heard ANYTHING about it coming to DISH this year either.

Jimbo

If you want some extra channels of stretch o vision as opposed to top notch picture quality, more local channels in hd in most markets, the ability to use tivo hd, a much more robust on demand offering and dvr and media sharing, that's your choice.
Stretch-o-vision is a network problem, not a provider issue. It is not the cable or satellite company that stretches the programs, it is the network.

Good point!He said it would cost him $360? to get DirecTV for the same HDDVR/HD arrangement, but he did not tell us how long he had his 722's/211 and how he managed to pay only $50? A regular E* sub certainly can not get that..
He's not going to show you any proof, Because I know for a fact he's full of crap! E isn't going to give 3 HD Tuners and 2 SD tuners for $50. NO FREAKEN WAY! My credit score is a 760, And I could only get a 622 and a 211 for $50 + 2 months of programming on my first bill. If I wanted another 622 it would have cost me $149 extra. and I wouldn't have gotton a 211.

Here Hemi feel free to use this icon..

Attachments

• no_bullshit.jpg
    no_bullshit.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 111
It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many commercials. I pay through the nose for my service and I still have an insufferable amount of commercials. When I channel surf through my entire channel lineup usually at any one time about half of all of the channels are playing either commercials or informercials. It's disgraceful.

It wouldn't be so bad if there weren't so many commercials. I pay through the nose for my service and I still have an insufferable amount of commercials. When I channel surf through my entire channel lineup usually at any one time about half of all of the channels are playing either commercials or informercials. It's disgraceful.

......but not a service issue, take that up with the program providers right?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)