Why is Jim Rice disrespecting Derek Jeter?

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
Not sure if I understand why Jim Rice thinks it was important to lump Derek Jeter in with Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez when telling Little Leaguers why players of his day were so much better than players of today. Why current athletes only care about money and not about the game. Apparently he forgot to put any current Red Sox players on his 'list'. No Josh Beckett. No Jason Varitek. Hmmm.

Is it a Red Sox/Yankee thing? Is it similar to David Ortiz making sure he immediately found a microphone when Rodriguez was named on the steroid list, when it took Ortiz a week to find one when he was said to be on the same list? Is it similar to Curt Schilling sounding off long and loud every time a Yankee was linked to steroids, but saying 'you decide' when it was his own Ortiz on the list?

If it's a Red Sox/Yankees jealousy thing, I can't imagine why. With all the Red Sox have accomplished the last five years they have totally turned the tables, and the Yankees are now the little brother looking up. And despite what has happened since the All Star break this year, the Yankees will remain number two until they either beat the Red Sox in a series, or win a world championship.

Sandra

What exactly did Jim Rice say? You have a quote?

Yeah...good question.

EDIT: Here is the story:

Hall of Fame outfielder Jim Rice added another grenade to the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry when he included Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez in a rant to Little Leaguers about how today's ballplayers "cannot compare" with the stars of Rice's era.

"You see a Manny Ramirez, you see an A-Rod, you see Jeter ... Guys that I played against and with, these guys you're talking about cannot compare," Rice said on Friday in Williamsport, Pa., according to The Associated Press.

"I didn't know I was like that," Jeter responded, according to the New York Daily News.

A-Rod and Jeter told New York reporters that they don't know Rice very well, only enough to say "hello" in passing. "I say hello to everyone and I have respect for everyone," the Daily News quoted Rodriguez.

Rice, 56, played his entire career — 1974-89 — for the Red Sox. He led the American League in homers three times and in RBIs twice and was the 1978 AL MVP. He was inducted into the Hall of Fame this summer

Rice also criticized the appearance of today's players.

"We didn't have the baggy uniforms. We didn't have the dreadlocks," Rice said. "It was a clean game, and now they're setting a bad example for the young guys."

"I don't wear baggy pants or have dreadlocks," the New York Post quoted Jeter.

Rice said he thinks current Hall of Famers who did not cheat don't want players who took performance-enhancing drugs to join them in the Hall.

Flexing the muscles in his right arm, Rice said, "That's all the steroids you need. ... It's called God-given talent."

Rice slams Jeter, A-Rod to Little Leaguers - MLB News - FOX Sports on MSN

Actually, it looks like Rice slammed Jeter, A-Rod and Manny because he thinks he played against/with better players...guys that didn't cheat, according to him. But then Jeter slammed Manny and A.Rod by saying: "I didn't know I was like that," Jeter responded, according to the New York Daily News.....

Like what? Jeter :rolleyes:

And what does dreadlocks have to do with the quality of player Jim? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Jim don't speak in coherent thoughts, bad on NESN

Some times I don't speak....right.

But I know what I talkin' about.

Lyrics from: Why Can't We Be Friends?

Rice in numb. I think that he is jealous of today's players and probably didn't even realize that Jeter wasn't a proven substance abuser.

Rice shouldn't be in the Hall of Fame. He has borderline "Hall-of-Fame numbers". That means that there are other players with comparable numbers who got in for qualities that don't show up in batting statistics. If you start letting in anyone who has the same numbers as Jim Rice, then next you will have to let in players who offensive numbers are 80 to 90% of his but who had other qualities. I think Rice just felt like bashing modern players who are making his cumulative stats look paltry, and didn't really give much thought to what he blurted out.

Not sure if I understand why Jim Rice thinks it was important to lump Derek Jeter in with Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez when telling Little Leaguers why players of his day were so much better than players of today. Why current athletes only care about money and not about the game. Apparently he forgot to put any current Red Sox players on his 'list'. No Josh Beckett. No Jason Varitek. Hmmm.

Is it a Red Sox/Yankee thing? Is it similar to David Ortiz making sure he immediately found a microphone when Rodriguez was named on the steroid list, when it took Ortiz a week to find one when he was said to be on the same list? Is it similar to Curt Schilling sounding off long and loud every time a Yankee was linked to steroids, but saying 'you decide' when it was his own Ortiz on the list?

If it's a Red Sox/Yankees jealousy thing, I can't imagine why. With all the Red Sox have accomplished the last five years they have totally turned the tables, and the Yankees are now the little brother looking up. And despite what has happened since the All Star break this year, the Yankees will remain number two until they either beat the Red Sox in a series, or win a world championship.

Sandra

Panties in a bunch ?

I hardly think the yankees think of themselves as looking UP to the Sox.

"You see a Manny Ramirez, you see an A-Rod, you see Jeter ... Guys that I played against and with, these guys you're talking about cannot compare," Rice said on Friday in Williamsport, Pa., according to The Associated Press.

"I didn't know I was like that," Jeter responded, according to the New York Daily News.

I take this quote as Jim Rice believing that he played against better talent in his day. Obviously this is debatable, but Rice has his own opinion.

"We didn't have the baggy uniforms. We didn't have the dreadlocks," Rice said. "It was a clean game, and now they're setting a bad example for the young guys."

"I don't wear baggy pants or have dreadlocks," the New York Post quoted Jeter.

A-Rod doesn't have dreds or baggy pants either.

Flexing the muscles in his right arm, Rice said, "That's all the steroids you need. ... It's called God-given talent."

LMAO! Gotta love it. That's old school. Now, I don't think this comment was directed at the other 3 he singled out, because it's pretty well known that Jeter wasn't among the others who ever tested positive.

Actually, it looks like Rice slammed Jeter, A-Rod and Manny because he thinks he played against/with better players...guys that didn't cheat, according to him. But then Jeter slammed Manny and A.Rod by saying: "I didn't know I was like that," Jeter responded, according to the New York Daily News.....

That's what I got out of it too.

I don't understand the lashing out like that. Is it because he is in the Hall now and he feels like he can say whatever the heck he wants to.

I don't understand the lashing out like that. Is it because he is in the Hall now and he feels like he can say whatever the heck he wants to.

I guess..... But I wonder if this has to do more to the fact that the Yankees are now one of the best teams...if not THE BEST team in the majors and the Red Sox are extremely vunerable of possibly NOT making the playoffs.

IMO, Jim Rice has always been a jerk with a hair across his a**

I have met Jim Rice on several occasions, through my wife's work, he is one of the nicest ex-players I have ever met. He was always kind and courteous and always went out of his way to be really cool with my boys, out of the blue last year he asked for our address and sent my kids a whole bunch of stuff.

I could care less if other fan bases dislike him, especially Yankee or teams that should be contracted.

Not every Red Sox fan or current/Ex player have to bow to the alter of Derek Jeter.

I have met Jim Rice on several occasions, through my wife's work, he is one of the nicest ex-players I have ever met. He was always kind and courteous and always went out of his way to be really cool with my boys, out of the blue last year he asked for our address and sent my kids a whole bunch of stuff.

I could care less if other fan bases dislike him, especially Yankee or teams that should be contracted.

Not every Red Sox fan or current/Ex player have to bow to the alter of Derek Jeter.

He is not bow, he just thinks that the players in his era were better than the players now. I have heard this from EVERY player in EVER decade/era.

He may have been nice TO YOU, but he was NOTORIOUSLY known to be an a$$****. Hell, even a level headed Red Sox fan like BillD thought he was an a$$.

He is not bow, he just thinks that the players in his era were better than the players now. I have heard this from EVERY player in EVER decade/era.

He may have been nice TO YOU, but he was NOTORIOUSLY known to be an a$$****. Hell, even a level headed Red Sox fan like BillD thought he was an a$$.

He was an a$$hole to the media, which just makes him even better in my book.

I guess a$$holes do stuff like this.

Rice's big moment was saving a life - Baseball - News & Observer

I must of must of been under banishment at the time Bill was elected president and spokesman of Boston sports fans.

He was an a$$hole to the media, which just makes him even better in my book.

I guess a$$holes do stuff like this.

Rice's big moment was saving a life - Baseball - News & Observer

I must of must of been under banishment at the time Bill was elected president and spokesman of Boston sports fans.

I have a question for you....seeing that you HATE the media....HOW do you get your information? Word of mouth?

Listen, as many know, I worked behind the scenes in media for 7 years in Chicago. Yeah, many in the media have agendas. But the EVERYONE has the same agenda....to get the bottom of the story. Now, the TACTICS maybe crappy....and the way it is reported maybe sinister on occassions. But not ALL media is evil.

...but I find it funny how much it is villified, except then THEY need it....

I have a question for you....seeing that you HATE the media....HOW do you get your information? Word of mouth?

Listen, as many know, I worked behind the scenes in media for 7 years in Chicago. Yeah, many in the media have agendas. But the EVERYONE has the same agenda....to get the bottom of the story. Now, the TACTICS maybe crappy....and the way it is reported maybe sinister on occassions. But not ALL media is evil.

...but I find it funny how much it is villified, except then THEY need it....

Do I get the news for the media? Yes. Do I get my opinions from them, absolutely not. I don't think your one of them, but there are a lot of ESPN sheeple in this world. You need to keep your own set of opinions and principals, I do read and listen to reporters, I have absolutely no need for columnists. Just as I will never read the herald as long as they employ John Tomasse nor watch NBC NFL pre-game because of Keith Olbermann. Far to many people take the media's opinion as gospel.

Do I get the news for the media? Yes. Do I get my opinions from them, absolutely not. I don't think your one of them, but there are a lot of ESPN sheeple in this world. You need to keep your own set of opinions and principals, I do read and listen to reporters, I have absolutely no need for columnists. Just as I will never read the herald as long as they employ John Tomasse nor watch NBC NFL pre-game because of Keith Olbermann. Far to many people take the media's opinion as gospel.

Believe me, I have had many issues with ESPN and the lack of competition they have. I have some issues with certain columnist...but they are but a small portion of the media....and once in a blue moon....they actually have a point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)