Why no HBO GO via 622/722?

TNGTony

Unashamed Bengal Fan
Original poster
Sep 7, 2003
Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
As I sit here watching the Sopranos on HBO GO on my Roku Box I wonder how come I have to go to Roku to watch HBO on demand on my TV rather than use the 622? I'm sure it has to do with some negotiation of pricing. But I pay Roku nothing. I pay Dish and HBO for my service. Wouldn't it make more sense for the service to be available through Dish's equipment rather than a third party? ---BTW the same goes for "Starz on Demand / StarzPlay"

See ya
Tony

Do you mean HBO Go or HBO on demand? HBO GO is available to you. As for on demand, the Roku is specifically set up for and meant for things like on demand, netfix, hulu, etc... so I would hope it could do it. Does cable boxes or Direct TV allow on demand from an outside source?(I don't know, asking) What I mean is HBO on demand is not Dish. Dish certainly can't have all the HBO on demand on their system, so you would need to have the Dish receiver access the HBO site. If others do just that, I guess Dish could, but really with HBO GO it does not seem like a real issue. In fact, I think for things like that I would rather use my Roku.

Last edited:
HBO On Demand and HBO Go are essentially the same thing. Neither is available through Dish Network's receivers. You either have to go through a computer "DishOnline.COM" or through a Roku box to get HBO Go. The funny thing is, to activate the HBO GO on the Roku, you have to go go through Dish Online's (or your qualified cable/satellite provider) log-in process!

BTW HBO On demand/HBO GO is available through the Warner Cable boxes when you subscribe to HBO, same with Starz and Showtime. ..at least here in Cinci. It's a big advertising thing going on here.

On November 24, 2011, HBO launched HBO On Demand (HOD). To be eligible, customers are required to have a subscription to HBO and a broadband-connected HD DVR (612, 722/722k). To access HBO On Demand from an HD DVR:
Press DVR on your remote > TV Shows > Browse by Network > HBO

COOL! That's new to me! But no Sopranos on the Dish listing. I find that interesting. But most of the other stuff is there. I'll have to take a look and see what else is missing from the Dish listing, and maybe see if Dish OD has stuff that HBO GO via Roku doesn't.

Thanks for the heads up!

COOL! That's new to me! But no Sopranos on the Dish listing. I find that interesting. But most of the other stuff is there. I'll have to take a look and see what else is missing from the Dish listing, and maybe see if Dish OD has stuff that HBO GO via Roku doesn't.

Thanks for the heads up!

Glad to help, please let us know what you find! Enjoy and have a great night!

Thanks for the heads up!
A lot of stuff is missing from Dish HBO OD that is available on HBO Go.

In fact, a lot of stuff is missing from Dish's implementation of HBO OD that is supposed to be available on HBO OD according to the HBO OD website.

I agree there are missing moivies and tv shows. I also have the right to Maxgo and it is not available on the tv shows by network.

Does anyone know what is the CURRENT Dish policy on upgrading Vip 622 boxes to Vip 722 boxes without extra costs to long time customers (in my case over 12 years)?

Does anyone know what is the CURRENT Dish policy on upgrading Vip 622 boxes to Vip 722 boxes without extra costs to long time customers (in my case over 12 years)?

Why not PM one of our DIRT members here. I think they can give you an answer that will make you smile....

You're right Gary. Several movies and programs available on GO are not on Dish's OD. I need to check vs Warner cable when I get a chance.
That's understandable, though, as even HBO says that not all HBO programming is available on HBO OD.

My gripe is that a lot of the programming that HBO says should be available on HBO On Demand is not available on Dish HBO On Demand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)