Why should you stay with (or subscribe to) Voom

Conjuror

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 4, 2004
Let me say first that Voom has many issues (just like D and E), no need to repeat them again.

However.

The following reasons make me not even think about leaving Voom any time yet:

1. Voom is the ONLY company on the market which is 100% committed to bringing more HD channels to all of us. What does it mean? Just imagine if Voom has, let’s say, one million subscribers. At that point both Dish and DirecTV would finally realize that they need more HD channels to keep their subscribers. Then we all would benefit by having more HD choices all over the market.

Now, let’s say Voom fails. In that case, forget about having decent number of HD channels on both Dish and DirecTV. They will not make any major HD move while they have 9-10 millions SD subscribers.
    Here is Dish’s answer on Scott Greczkowsky’s question about near HD future on Dish and what will be their response to DirecTV’s rumor about making their HD pack 6 months free (that’s just 5 dollars per month – DUH!):
    We are aggressively working to get the contracts necessary to launch additional HD channels. We too anticipate launching additional HD channels this year. Although we may not be discounting our HD package, we do offer two great bundled HDTV, HD receiver packages and installation...one of which is under $1,000.00. Our goal is to maintain the leadership role in HD.

That is, my friends, what still pisses me off after few years of hoping to get more HD channels from Dish. The same empty talk over and over again. What DirecTV offers on the same question? Just plain rumors, such as one about “major HD upgrade during the next few months”. Let me guess: the major HD addition will be adding BravoHD and TNTHD channels. And then forget about HD for one more year.

So, if Voom ever becomes a major HD player, all of them will have to move their a$$es to keep up.

2. Let’s say, I don’t like Voom’s PQ or their HD content. What a heck, I still get almost the same number of SD channels like on Dish and DirecTV. Yeah I miss some too (the Science channel) but I get some too for which I would have to pay more on both. Oh yeah, and SD picture on Voom is much better then on D and E. Should I mention about having locals for free in digital format?

Think about it.

Conjuror nice to see you posting something on the positive tip. I was watching Blade II today in HD, which has lots of action, and quick camera movements in dark environments, interestingly enough... no pixelation! It's apparent to ME that Voom is working on something, that's encouraging. I've been saying what you posted for a long time, if and when Voom hits 1-1.5 million customers D* and E* will crap their pants, Voom will have no trouble getting HDNet or HDNet Movies to add to their lineup. I am anticipating Voom will add PPV in HD with this upgrade and that will put Blockbuster out of business in my house (which it already pretty much is anyway). As customers we should show the markets that what we want is more HD, better HD, and a provider who is dedicated to HD.

I really think if a guy lives alone, has no one to argue over the SD stuff with and wants just HD, Voom is da bomb!

I watched a bad movie a while back and I just could not turn the channel. It was Judge Dredd with Sly Stallone in the future. With the PQ way high, it felt like the future. Voom has every chance to get it right and keep us subs and get even more.

Wm9 and HD Tivo before the Christmas shopping starts. Sell that sucker for 699.00 and lease it for 14.99 a month.

Dvlos said:
Conjuror nice to see you posting something on the positive tip. I was watching Blade II today in HD, which has lots of action, and quick camera movements in dark environments, interestingly enough... no pixelation! It's apparent to ME that Voom is working on something, that's encouraging. I've been saying what you posted for a long time, if and when Voom hits 1-1.5 million customers D* and E* will crap their pants, Voom will have no trouble getting HDNet or HDNet Movies to add to their lineup. I am anticipating Voom will add PPV in HD with this upgrade and that will put Blockbuster out of business in my house (which it already pretty much is anyway). As customers we should show the markets that what we want is more HD, better HD, and a provider who is dedicated to HD.

Woah, 1.5 million subs, well at 30k per year that may not be real soon..lol..

We should keep in mind that D* and E* are vitally interested in Voom's demise. For them, HD is pain in the a** and they would love TV to remain SD forever. Actually, if I were responsible for D*/E* business I would do my best to discredit Voom and minimize the advantages of HD (of course, unofficially). Officially, I would be pretending that I am working hard on expanding the HD offering.

<< I am anticipating Voom will add PPV in HD with this upgrade and that will put Blockbuster out of business in my house (which it already pretty much is anyway).>>

sorry to burst your bubble but hd ppv SUCKS. reason is most US studios will NOT release their movies in HD to ppv. why? beats me. in fact the only movies on ppv are from new line cinema and dreamworks and the occasional independent/foreign stuff.

andrzej said:
For them, HD is pain in the a** and they would love TV to remain SD forever.
I would only go as far as to say that D* and E* would wish for the HD transition to coincide with the natural lifecycle of their equipment - big bucks to replace all that stuff. Since VOOM already has much of the latest technology (granted it is somewhat buggy) in place and, with only 35k subs, can flip the MPEG-4/WM9 in a heartbeat compared to D* or E*. The VOOM concept is a good one, but their window of opportunity in which to gain a significant portion of the DSB market and remain a viable provider is quickly closing.

Currently, VOOM is trying to reduce the costs of acquiring a new customer by requiring a $199 installation fee. This is not going to work because nobody is going to pay an installation fee when D* and E* are doing it for free. However, it occurred to me they maybe doing this intentionally in order to limit the number of new subscribers over the next 2-4 months pending:

• Spin-off from CableVision and capital funding
  • Implementation of the bigger dish
  • Implementation of leased transponders
  • Added SD channels to round-out their lineup (Sci-Fi, HGTV, Lifetime, etc.)
  • Added HD channels (yes, both HDNETs and others)
  • Addition of PVR in January
  • Transition to MPEG-4/WM9 SD in January
  • Firewire??? (add this and you'll pick up 100k+ subs alone!)

IMO besides the well documented technical problems and those related to installation (Installs Inc.), VOOM has been bleeding all over themselves with the "free install" offer because they were not ready to proceed to the next level; they need to get their duckies in line! I guess I am not too concerned about subscriber numbers at present, because they will soon have an influx of cash and hopefully a better game plan. Over the next few months VOOM should be: a) working hard to correct their technical problems. b) developing technical plans, policies and procedures for the upcoming evolutions. c) beta testing and debugging their STB and DVR. d) hire somebody who has a clue about marketing, advertising and acquiring HD/satellite subscribers!

Well said riffjim4069! Your posting was probably one of the most well thought out postings I've read on this site. You've got a great insight on what VOOM needs to do to take it to the next step. You should forward this posting to Wilt! The key is to transition the DVR/Big Dish/Firewire quickly and in the same quarter,then eliminate the install fee, so that the next quarter would show the 100k influx of subs. Success breeds more success.

REASONS TO GET VOOM:
1 - Unique and experimental content on most of the exclusive channels, with more new content to come. @party Voom is TV on the cutting edge.
2 - Voom has the most HD. :D
3 - NO COMMERCIALS :clap on Voom exclusive channels!

WORST REASON TO GET VOOM:
Don't switch from an old provider to Voom and then complain "Why isn't Voom more like my old provider?" Hey, Voom is Voom! If you want pizza, get a pizza. Don't buy a steak and complain that the steak should be more like a pizza. :neener

HD IS HERE TO STAY!
I would be sad if Voom ever folds - and I don't think Voom will fold. But HD is here to stay no matter what, and other HD startups like Voom are probably coming. The real pressure is on cable, DTV, and Dish to catch up!!

The growth of VOOM is very much tied to the acceptance and sale of HD TV receivers. So what better way to sell receivers and add value then for VOOM to work with selected Manufactures and include a coupon for a free installation and a month or more of total programing. Still rent the box. Same offer as was except it is tied to the sale of new HD TV's. The biggest problem retailers have in selling the new set is perceived high cost and lack of programming. So why not package it and improve the perceived value and make it easier for the consumer to make the commitment. Then D* and E* will be chasing VOOM's ass to respond. The momentum is really with VOOM if they take advantage of it. They also need a better retail exposure as well. I don't know how you break D*'s lock at BB and CC, but a good marketing manager should be able to make it attractive enough.

Also Microsoft, with a long view, has a lot to gain with WM9 and merging with VOOM to market.

While I have been a vocal critic of PQ, not content, I still think that VOOM can and may still have a few tricks up their sleeve to show those Wallstreet conservative jerks.

A lot of us jumped on the Voom bandwagon to get more HD. So we need to be patient and see what happens over the next year. Every new company has bugs to work out and thats way I am sticking with Voom to see whats going to happen over the next year.

I glad to see that Voom is improving its PQ again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts