Will At&t upgrade Satellite service?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Satellites are a bent pipe. But the equipment to get it there...

I suspect the real problem may be full 6 MHz carriage. Can't it be broken out into separate channels like ATSC 1? Obviously the TVs will do this. Just a ploy to get more out there. ATSC 3 will do nothing to save bandwidth for satcos.

ATT doesn't want to get rid of the main satellite delivery platform as it's a premium delivery service that has a national footprint. They also do have additional satellites on order to replace some ageing ones that I would expect to see go up in the next 3-5 years. What I would expect is a streaming overlay of some type to complement the premium platform.

Last edited:
Reactions: IcEWoLF and Jimbo
ATT doesn't want to get rid of the main satellite delivery platform as it's a premium delivery service. that has a national footprint They also do have additional satellites on order to replace some ageing ones that I would expect to see go up in the next 3-5 years. What I would expect is a streaming overlay of some type to complement the premium platform.
Orders can be cancelled

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Bingo. And those sats can be used for other, commercial, purposes.

Remember those Ka sats weren't intended for video. But that change worked out rather nicely.

Satellites on order, any more details since I hadn't heard of an pending.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Orders can be cancelled

It would cost AT&T an arm and a leg to do that, these things are planned several years ahead, they hire all these contractors and nasa to build these rockets/ satellites to get up on the orbit, so canceling is not an option.
IPTV while it's the new thing these days it's at least a decade away from where it can really start challenging satellite/cable providers due to bandwidth issues. Remember a lot of people don't have the speeds or the bandwidth to stream.
I think IPTV is the future, only when IPV6 becomes main stream and starts replacing IPv4.

Satellite is not going anywhere anytime soon, you have to remember most of the world still uses satellites to get their channels, most of third world countries can only get tv from
Satellites since they don't have the means to build an infrastructure to build a broadband network outside major cities.

D4S would be the first canadate I could think of that would need to be replaced. With an all HD transition coming up in the next few years as mpeg 2 gets turned off on the 101, they may want to get an new bird up at the 101. That would give them at least 15 years plus updated techology on the satellite (more efficent) allowing them to do a mix of HD and 4K outside the plans for 4K on reverse band and HD currently on 103/99.

The other one could be going to 110 or 119. Both are coming to end of life soon.

Satellites are bent pipes. They don't care if the signal is MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or Morse code.

But as you said, there are plenty of other improvements- better power, better and more spot beams and CONUS beams, batteries and more fuel, to name a few.

I doubt ATT has much interest in 119. Main value seems to be to keep it from Dish's hands.

I thought they were using 119 to provide a few HD channels to PR? They might want to hang onto it just for that.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

I thought they were using 119 to provide a few HD channels to PR? They might want to hang onto it just for that.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys
About 40% of the dmas get local sd channels from 119. It's not going away any time soon unless Directv gets all of those customers on mpeg4 (hd) equipment. That is part of the long term plan, but we shall see.

About 40% of the dmas get local sd channels from 119. It's not going away any time soon unless Directv gets all of those customers on mpeg4 (hd) equipment. That is part of the long term plan, but we shall see.

Satellites are bent pipes. They don't care if the signal is MPEG-2, MPEG-4 or Morse code.

But as you said, there are plenty of other improvements- better power, better and more spot beams and CONUS beams, batteries and more fuel, to name a few.

I doubt ATT has much interest in 119. Main value seems to be to keep it from Dish's hands.

Speculation, I think once the HD transition happens we will see Internationals move from the leased transponders on 95 over to 119 & 110. While yes satellites are bent pipes, the design of a transponder could prohibit certain signals if the transponder wasn’t designed with enough bandwidth for them depending on modulation and fec rates among other things. You also have to keep in mind the uplink budget that was designed to take in accountability for atmospheric fade and degradation. While, I don’t think that’s the case here, it would certainly be addressed when the new bird is launched. Now would be the time to get all of that figured out.

The spaceways were a prime example of how a satellite was designed for one purpose (internet) but repurposed for video. Anytime you want to launch a new bird, it would be who of the designer to do a bit of overkill as it’s hard to redesign a satellite when it’s in a geostationary orbit.

Didn't they quit using the 110 Sat awhile back ?

What if the locals themselves go away?
The FCC is slowly selling their frequencies off

I understand the comment regarding uplinks.

It is my understanding that Dish satellites (transponders) can handle SD or HD equally, with the numbers of each kind varying. UHD may take some finesse, but that will probably be worked out (new technology receivers), avoiding bonding two transponders. I can only assume DirecTV satellites can do the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts