Will DISH EVER catch up in HD nationals AND PQ?

Whats it been 2 years now that Dish has had more HD content than Directv, and now that Directv has had more HD than Dish for 6 weeks now we got people talking about jumping ship?

For what Directv carries that Dish does not have is laughable at best. Sure lets watch upconverted CNN, or how about the weather channel that provides 1 hour of HD content per day?

I wouldn't give up on Dish just yet, I think we are up for some big changes to come!

Agreed. I switched to E* little over a year ago for more HD from D*. People have been spoiled with the HD lead from E* and should show some patience for more HD. D* subs had to wait for what seemed like ever for more sats and HD channels and E*'s subs wait is not going to be nearly as long.
Don't pee before the water comes.

For what Directv carries that Dish does not have is laughable at best. Sure lets watch upconverted CNN, or how about the weather channel that provides 1 hour of HD content per day?

Well, right now I'm watching 3.5 hours of Spiderman 2 in HD on FXHD. That's pretty good HD to me. After getting off to a really bad start FXHD is getting better all the time. Tomorrow FXHD will have HD from 4pm to Midnight showing Spiderman 2, I, Robot and then two airings of Nip/Tuck, all in HD with excellent PQ.

USA HD shows lots of HD: Law and Order SVU and CI (including original episodes) Monk and movies like Pirates of the Caribbean and The Bourne Identity. And I guess all the Starz! HD movie channels Showtime Too and the west coast versions of the other movie channels are laughable too. :rolleyes:

None of that may make a person switch but trying to downplay some of the HD channels on D* is just as bad as downplaying the Voom channels on E* by D* subscribers.

Last edited:
None of that may make a person switch but trying to downplay some of the HD channels on D* is just as bad as downplaying the Voom channels on E* by D* subscribers.

Very true and reasonable.

Are the movies of FxHD in OAR or are they zoomed to 16x9? I would like to get a few of the FX shows in HD. New seasons I can tolerate the ads but not for reruns only. Waiting for the next season of The Shield, hopefully E* will have FxHD by then!

So far I haven't seen any HD movie on FXHD in OAR. They all have been 16x9. But I haven't seen every movie that FXHD has shown either.
However most of these movies you mentioned were shot 16x9 or something very close, so its not the stretchovision people are accustomed to.

However most of these movies you mentioned were shot 16x9 or something very close, so its not the stretchovision people are accustomed to.
Yeah, a 2.35:1 is pretty close to 1.78:1 - just some skinny blacks bars on the top and bottom when you watch it in OAR. You lose some of the sides but not too bad. I guess the broadcasters get way more calls from people asking why they have black bars on their tv when they already have a 16x9 tv. They have no idea about cinemascope or that about 60% of movies are shot in cinemascope. I see it regularly here and on various HDTV forums. Plus, those black bars can cause all kinds of trouble for people whose tvs can suffer from burn in. Not as common on today's equipment but plenty of CRT rear projection and older generation plasma tvs still out there.

I have a 92" screen and a DLP projector though so I want OAR. Black bars don't matter to me at that size. That's why I'd rather just pop in the dvd and watch it than to have to bear with all the commercials on the regular channels. I know more HD channels will be coming, but I'm in no hurry. Now better PQ I could go for now! :D

NFLHD-EF06-Ambient.jpg

This is what one gleans from watching the drive-by media.. In reality, we are not that bad off.. Listen closely and you might hear them mention that unemployment is SHOCKINGLY much lower than expected..
Not such a shock, but the liberal media has to make everything seem bad so you will lose hope.

Liberal media? Heh. The media is actually much more conservative now than at any time in recent (30+ yrs) history.

That said, unemployment is higher than they make it, but only in the real jobs. Low wage employers cannot find enough workers. Inflation is running 6%, but that isn't so bad, since it makes our debt smaller too and we have more than anyone.

High import prices doesn't matter so much. Right now, the our goods are cheap to foreign countries and this is the real steam behind our economy.

Oil will correct, the current price is mostly speculation - as the brokers and hedgefunds are making money where they can since the debt markets are toast.

We may see a stock market correction, but I doubt we see a serious recession. And two quarters of negative GDP growth isn't that awful anyway.

To me one problem with additional satellites is doesn't it require a dish upgrade? And maybe a switch upgrade? For potentially a lot of people.

To me one problem with additional satellites is doesn't it require a dish upgrade? And maybe a switch upgrade? For potentially a lot of people.

The new satellites are a replacement for 110/119 at a new location, 88 or so ?, and will handle every channel. You just turn the Dish 500 and you are done. That's where the only rub may come into play. The new sats may only require on dish but they could be at a new and unreachable angle for some.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts