Windows 11

But the refresh click assures the next boot, icons stay put.
From a literal standpoint, does that make sense? It's nice that the refresh performs that function but it isn't what I would expect. Then again, I can't imagine expecting auto-arrange to do anything desirable if thoughtfully arranging icons on one's desktop is the goal.

Of course with Windows, there are probably a number of other ways to do the same thing.

From a literal standpoint, does that make sense? It's nice that the refresh performs that function but it isn't what I would expect. Then again, I can't imagine expecting auto-arrange to do anything desirable if thoughtfully arranging icons on one's desktop is the goal.

Of course with Windows, there are probably a number of other ways to do the same thing.
I dunno. That's how it works and that's how it is and hey. You don't even have to tar gxvf and stuff. lol! Try not being so negative about life. The sun came up. Right?

Try not being so negative about life.
I'm not down on life. I'm down on how Microsoft chooses to obfuscate what should be simple and straightforward tasks.

Software (at both the OS and application level) exists for us to do our computerly stuff, not to support those who publish new editions of their dummies books or workaround hooks/registry fixers every time a new major version of a Microsoft software product is released.

I got more bad news for win11.
Yesterday I updated my windows10 on the i9-7980 computer. I got the dreaded message that it too is not compatible with win11.

In digging through resources, I see you can get more explanation as to why this 2018 computer is unable to run windows 11.

There is an app called PC Health Check that will analyze the system hardware and let you know why it isn't able. I did this and it passes all requirements except says it is missing TPM 2.0. So I looked that up and it seems a computer must be post 2021 to have TPM 2.0 but it can be activated in certain other parts are available. Begin by turning on UEFI. I rebooted after setting this to on in the BIOS. Booted up normally but still says not compliant.
The next step scared me because I was afraid of screwing up the system. It wants me to go into Advanced settings and a menu pops up asking if I want to reset the computer to default or abort. Not really knowing what I am doing, I decided to just abort. Last thing I need is for this ridiculous process to FUBAR my expensive computer.

I am curious about this UEFI boot mode. Seems much slower than basic windows OS.

Reactions: TheKrell
So a CD player drive is important to me.
Me too.

Screenshot from 2023-07-21 12-47-42.png

In digging through resources, I see you can get more explanation as to why this 2018 computer is unable to run windows 11.
While you acquired the machine in 2018, it is a very old design (Intel Gen 7 arrived in 2011) so not all the parts may be there. Is there a date on the BIOS setup menu?
There is an app called PC Health Check that will analyze the system hardware and let you know why it isn't able.
As was made abundantly clear above.
I did this and it passes all requirements except says it is missing TPM 2.0. So I looked that up and it seems a computer must be post 2021 to have TPM 2.0 but it can be activated in certain other parts are available.
TPM 2.0 debuted in 2019 and was likely quickly taken up by companies like Dell. It isn't something you can retrofit. That said, your old machine doesn't qualify for an "upgrade". You can install Windows from scratch but I doubt that's what you want to do.
I am curious about this UEFI boot mode. Seems much slower than basic windows OS.
Not if it is working correctly. UEFI boostraps from the boot drive rather than from the BIOS. In most modern computers, UEFI is much faster to boot.

My Intel Gen 4 Debian 11 box boots to the desktop in about 18 seconds (depending on how quickly I enter my credentials). Under legacy mode it took about three seconds longer.

I expect that what you're experiencing may be a result of Windows not having been originally installed with UEFI.

I'd be happy that nothing is going to break on the old machine as a result of Microsoft's seemingly random changes that result from their incomplete effort to make all of Windows look like Windows.

Reactions: Foxbat and HipKat
While you acquired the machine in 2018, it is a very old design (Intel Gen 7 arrived in 2011) so not all the parts may be there. Is there a date on the BIOS setup menu?

As was made abundantly clear above.

TPM 2.0 debuted in 2019 and was likely quickly taken up by companies like Dell. It isn't something you can retrofit. That said, your old machine doesn't qualify for an "upgrade". You can install Windows from scratch but I doubt that's what you want to do.

Not if it is working correctly. UEFI boostraps from the boot drive rather than from the BIOS. In most modern computers, UEFI is much faster to boot.

My Intel Gen 4 Debian 11 box boots to the desktop in about 18 seconds (depending on how quickly I enter my credentials). Under legacy mode it took about three seconds longer.

I expect that what you're experiencing may be a result of Windows not having been originally installed with UEFI.

I'd be happy that nothing is going to break on the old machine as a result of Microsoft's seemingly random changes that result from their incomplete effort to make all of Windows look like Windows.
Yes, the BIOS date was 2018 the same as when I bought it as a "Bare Bones" build by Velocity Micro. They did the windows Pro install on the m.2 980 stick on the MB and did the ram, CPU and liquid cooling. I added all my own additional hard drives additional m.2 video work storage. The graphics display was also installed by them. It runs dual 3D passive monitors and an Oculus Rift VR HMD. TPM shows up but an older version, I believe 1.2xxx or something close to that. The windows diagnostics just says I need to turn it on but that's where I decided to abort.

Everything on this computer runs fine but I thought it would be a good idea to have all three of my windows computers looking the same UI.

IMG_3320.jpg

Reactions: HipKat
I got to the ASUS website and it says my MB has TPM 2.0 compatibility and gives step by step instructions on how to turn it on and rid the error messages I saw earlier. It even lists my CPU number and says that is compatible. I will give that a try from their instructions as it looks like the most detailed yet because it offers screen shots of my bios.

Reactions: Foxbat and TRG
Followed the ASUS instructions and got TPM 2.0 activated and it was now detected in PC Health check. I also updated all the drivers and made sure I have the latest version of win10. However, the update page still says the opposite of PC health check. The PC doesn't meet minimum requirements for win11. Now one Microsoft app says it is compatible and the System update says it isn't. Looks like one software engineer doesn't agree with the other software engineer in the same company. Typical!

Anyway, I learned quite a bit about my Bios settings and how to turn on TPM 2.0 for whatever it's worth.

Reactions: Foxbat
Another one. Asked Tourvalds and he didn't answer. Elon didn't have much to say. Got in touch with Rufus (without Chaka Kahn....chakakan). Even harshnikowski should like this one.

System Information report written at: 07/21/23 22:53:05
System Name: ASUS_FORMULA
[System Summary]

Item Value
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Version 10.0.22000 Build 22000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name ASUS_FORMULA
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5690 @ 3.47GHz, 3468 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0903, 9/20/2011
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
BaseBoard Product Rampage III Formula
BaseBoard Version Rev 1.xx
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.22000.1696"
User Name ASUS_FORMULA\Who_gives_a_crap_it_works
Time Zone Eastern Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
Available Physical Memory 11.2 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.4 GB
Available Virtual Memory 11.5 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Kernel DMA Protection Off
Virtualization-based security Not enabled
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not Modern Standby, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware Yes
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

I got to the ASUS website and it says my MB has TPM 2.0 compatibility and gives step by step instructions on how to turn it on and rid the error messages I saw earlier. It even lists my CPU number and says that is compatible. I will give that a try from their instructions as it looks like the most detailed yet because it offers screen shots of my bios.
It'll work. I had to do the same thing in my ASUS MB. Switch to UFEI and enable TPM.2.0

Followed the ASUS instructions and got TPM 2.0 activated and it was now detected in PC Health check. I also updated all the drivers and made sure I have the latest version of win10. However, the update page still says the opposite of PC health check. The PC doesn't meet minimum requirements for win11. Now one Microsoft app says it is compatible and the System update says it isn't. Looks like one software engineer doesn't agree with the other software engineer in the same company. Typical!

Anyway, I learned quite a bit about my Bios settings and how to turn on TPM 2.0 for whatever it's worth.
Try this post from this thread

Reactions: TheForce
Update- I finally figured out why I couldn't find the updated Bios cab file. I had to register my MB first after setting up an account. Then confirm it in email response with a new link. That opened up a new set of options including the files download page. I haven't tried it yet. Got sidetracked. I'll read your suggestion first.

It'll work. I had to do the same thing in my ASUS MB. Switch to UFEI and enable TPM.2.0
Did the message in windows10 update and security settings that says the computer is not win11 compliant go away on yours?
I still get that message and no way to download the win11 install. Strange that PC Health says I am now ready. I'm in no hurry and may not even proceed other than do more reading.

I did discover another disadvantage to win11 that probably doesn't affect anyone else.

I have a licensed version of adobe Photoshop CS2 installed on the win10 computer. I also had it installed on my trashed computer replaced by this Dell 3020. Now CS2 will not install on the new win11 computer. I get to a fully visible PS screen and a popup says adobe can nolonger support this version of Creative Suite, please update. Then the update wants me to now pay $20.99 a month for software I originally paid $$$ for lifetime. I did some research into it and found out adobe decided to end their key server to verify license a few years ago so the CS2 can be used locally but can't be reinstalled on another newer computer. CS2 was able to be installed on several computers from the CDs. For my use, CS2 was good enough.
This SNAFU is enough reason for me to forget about following through with win11 upgrade on that machine. I'm not paying $20.99 a month for photoshop.

Reactions: Foxbat
Update- I finally figured out why I couldn't find the updated Bios cab file. I had to register my MB first after setting up an account. Then confirm it in email response with a new link. That opened up a new set of options including the files download page. I haven't tried it yet. Got sidetracked. I'll read your suggestion first.

Did the message in windows10 update and security settings that says the computer is not win11 compliant go away on yours?
I still get that message and no way to download the win11 install. Strange that PC Health says I am now ready. I'm in no hurry and may not even proceed other than do more reading.

I did discover another disadvantage to win11 that probably doesn't affect anyone else.

I have a licensed version of adobe Photoshop CS2 installed on the win10 computer. I also had it installed on my trashed computer replaced by this Dell 3020. Now CS2 will not install on the new win11 computer. I get to a fully visible PS screen and a popup says adobe can nolonger support this version of Creative Suite, please update. Then the update wants me to now pay $20.99 a month for software I originally paid $$$ for lifetime. I did some research into it and found out adobe decided to end their key server to verify license a few years ago so the CS2 can be used locally but can't be reinstalled on another newer computer. CS2 was able to be installed on several computers from the CDs. For my use, CS2 was good enough.
This SNAFU is enough reason for me to forget about following through with win11 upgrade on that machine. I'm not paying $20.99 a month for photoshop.
It did say not compatible until I set up the TPM.
Man, that version of Adobe IS way old. I have Masters Collection CS5 and it still works and I'm also not paying a subscription for something I use a dozen times a year

Man, that version of Adobe IS way old. I have Masters Collection CS5 and it still works and I'm also not paying a subscription for something I use a dozen times a year
Have you ever tried using GIMP instead of Adobe? It used to be Linux only but they have a Windows version now. I never used Photoshop but I hear that Gimp will do pretty much all of what Photoshop will do. Plus it's FREE! You can donate if you like the program.

GIMP

Have you ever tried using GIMP instead of Adobe? It used to be Linux only but they have a Windows version now. I never used Photoshop but I hear that Gimp will do pretty much all of what Photoshop will do. Plus it's FREE! You can donate if you like the program.

GIMP
Actually I do on Linux but I just don't play with Design like I used to anymore

Reactions: TRG