Windows 7 Officially Released To Manufacturing

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
Windows 7 Officially Released to Manufacturing: No Going Back Now - Windows 7 rtm - Gizmodo

Probably not much of a surprise at this point, but right about now, Steve Ballmer is telling a roomful of people that Windows 7's been released to manufacturing. If you're using RC1, congratulations, you've basically got the final product already.

There are no new features, crazy backgrounds or easter eggs—or changes approaching anywhere near major, just some "specific" fixes based on actual measurements and data.

What's interesting is that with the final hardware completely locked in—like, even more than when they were officially announced, since it's too late to change anything now—it's the first major Windows release to not require at double the specs of the preceding Windows OS, a fact that Microsoft is proud of. Make of that what you will! (And oh, I'm sure you will.)

Speaking of hardware—expect a wave of it to drop with Windows 7—like a lot of the "thin and light" more-expensive-than-a-netbook stuff Intel's been hyping, though some of it sounds genuinely exciting, like capacitive touchscreen notebook running Nvidia's Ion.

The arrival of Windows 7 probably won't be Christmas in October with Santa Ballmer, but it sounds like it'll be the best month for PC makers in a long time. [Microsoft]

I certainly have no complaints. No network or printer problems like I had with Vista.

I have had the official version for a while now.

My brother-in-law works for a licensed MS company and get me free copies of software all of the time (often before they are officially released).

Yes...And?
Nobody could have had the official RTM version before that.
Or does your "for awhile" mean under 10 days?

If you were talking about the official non-RTM versions (prior to),
then downloading them off the internet was at least as fast as the official channels.

Diogen.

Nobody could have had the official RTM version before that.
Or does your "for awhile" mean under 10 days?

If you were talking about the official non-RTM versions (prior to),
then downloading them off the internet was at least as fast as the official channels.

Diogen.
My brother-in-law installed Windows 7 via a network download on my computer with his password last Saturday. I was running an evaluation copy prior (also installed by him). His company just received the official copy and this is the same thing he gave me. The only differences that I have noticed between the two, besides the removal of the message on the bottom right side of the computer that states "evaluation copy", are a few security updates and the current updates do not state "test updates"

ETA: The "official" version also does not allow me to run my sidebar hack that I used on the beta version.

Last edited:
In the attachment is a current screen shot just taken minutes ago with the "official" version of Windows 7.

In the link is a screen shot I took last week prior to the update to the "official" version showing my Vista like sidebar. Notice the watermark that states "evaluation copy" in the bottom right hand corner? That has since been removed with the update.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/compute...83-vista-sidebar-windows-7-a.html#post1894306

Attachments

• Windows 7.jpg
    Windows 7.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 286
In the attachment is a current screen shot just taken minutes ago with the "official" version of Windows 7.

That doesn't prove anything. There are utilities floating around that remove the watermark. If you want to convince people you really have the RTM version, you need to post a screenshot showing the version number of the OS, like this (this is RC1):

cmdshell.png

or

eventview.png

That doesn't prove anything. There are utilities floating around that remove the watermark. If you want to convince people you really have the RTM version, you need to post a screenshot showing the version number of the OS, like this (this is RC1):
I am not trying to convince anyone of anything. I simply stated what I have and explained the only two differences I noticed. You can believe what you want to believe; I don't care.

If you would like a screen shot, then you would have to wait until Monday. Windows 7 is on my laptop and my laptop is at work (I rode my motorcycle to work yesterday so I had to leave my laptop there). The current computer I am using, my desktop, is running Vista (which I also got for free upon release by my same brother-in-law).

Or, if I am in the mood I may stop by my work today and pick up my laptop. If so, I will have a screenshot for you today.

BTW, as of now, I still prefer Vista. I have not had issues with Vista and I wish Windows 7 would allow me to put up the sidebar.

Both x86 and x64 are running really well for me, got them both 2 weeks ago OEM versions.

i've also been using the x64 version and it's been great. RC though not the official release which i'm sure is the same.

have you had any issues besides the side bar on win 7?
Just recognizing AVG. I think that was an AVG issue. After I reinstalled AVG Windows finally acknowledged that I had virus protection.

BTW, they do have torrents 7200 through 7600 RTMs on the net.

Just to show you that screenshots are meaningless. I used Paint to create this on my Vista machine. This was done all in fun. Everything in the Command Prompts was typed by me (from the first line to the last). To show you it was typed by me, I intentionally left the copyright date of 2006.

The second screenshot is of the unedited command prompt from my Vista machine

I will get you the real screenshot on Monday.

Attachments

• 7600.jpg
    7600.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 240
  • vista cmd.jpg
    vista cmd.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 242
I think it will stimulate a lot of PC sales since you cannot upgrade XP. How many will want to do a clean install of 7 then have to reinstall everything else again. Even MS has said most will want to buy a PC rather than upgrade XP.

Vista of course can be upgraded to 7.

OK...I went to work and got my laptop. I needed it anyway. I am currently using it. What is it you want me to take a screenshot of and I will?

Good enough for me. 7600 was the version number for the RTM build. Seems like hardware OEMs get the release sooner than the ISVs. My MSDN Universal subscription still only shows the RC release available for download. Our MS liason might have the RTM available for us, but I don't work that closely with him so I wouldn't know.

I am now getting display issue on my laptop's monitor. Once the log in screen appear, the screen goes blank. I can get a display in safe mode on the laptop or on a secondary monitor in normal mode through VGA. I don't think it is a driver issue since it displayed before.

I am currently using my laptop and a separate LCD monitor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts