Windows 8 OS,Tablet, New Win 8 PCs News Thread

As time passes, it seems more and more vendors are speaking out with slow rates of adoption of Win 8.

Lenovo is the latest and indicates most laptops are "downgraded" to Windows 7 in advance for the Corporate market.

The Channel Register article.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

I've read about the changes, we've known Blue was coming around this time since before 8 shipped. They're clearly iterating, if anything I'm disappointed they aren't doing more.

Overhaul is quite a reach is all, and their intention is to more frequently update the OS.

So now that you've backed off of overhaul, what specifically is a bad sign?

Or are you suggesting they never touch the OS again outside of security packs and releasing 9?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I've read about the changes, we've known Blue was coming around this time since before 8 shipped. They're clearly iterating, if anything I'm disappointed they aren't doing more.

Overhaul is quite a reach is all, and their intention is to more frequently update the OS.

So now that you've backed off of overhaul, what specifically is a bad sign?

Or are you suggesting they never touch the OS again outside of security packs and releasing 9?

There's nothing wrong with an iterative approach, but this is very fast for UI changes, which tells me something amiss.

Multiple vendors (Samsung and Lenovo) have indicated that Win 8 sales are lukewarm at best, and they've dropped the wholesale price earlier than ever on the product.

These all point to a problem in Redmond.

There's nothing wrong with an iterative approach, but this is very fast for UI changes, which tells me something amiss.

Multiple vendors (Samsung and Lenovo) have indicated that Win 8 sales are lukewarm at best, and they've dropped the wholesale price earlier than ever on the product.

These all point to a problem in Redmond.

So again, you're saying they shouldn't have touched the UI in the update we've known was coming since before it was released? And again this is very iterative, they're not backing off (or overhauling) anything, they're making multitasking better and adding options that previously you had to go into desktop mode or had to change via less efficient means.

How does this signal trouble exactly?

So again, you're saying they shouldn't have touched the UI in the update we've known was coming since before it was released? And again this is very iterative, they're not backing off (or overhauling) anything, they're making multitasking better and adding options that previously you had to go into desktop mode or had to change via less efficient means.

How does this signal trouble exactly?

Clearly you think that I'm part of "we" even though when I'm not.

1) Windows 8 has been underwhelming in the marketplace.
Reinforcement: OEM License costs have been lowered by 75% in an attempt to spur adoption.
Reinforcement: Two major vendors (Samsung and Lenovo) have spoken publicly about the lack of market interest for Windows 8.

2) WinPhone isn't gaining traction.
Reinforcement: The marketshare dial hasn't moved for WinPhone sales.

3) Windows RT has suffered from very poor adoption rates.
Reinforcement: One of the big tech monitoring firms indicates sales of less than 400K despite builds of 1M+ Units. I'm sorry, I don't have the link handy.

That's why I see trouble.

And yet the "overhaul" isn't one of your bullet points. Imagine that, nice backpedal. Even I think this is a disappointing update but you are trying so hard to spike the football on every possible bad piece of information it's just getting silly.

Last edited: