Windows 8 Thread

Windows 8 is seen by many as MS' last shot at relevance in the fast changing landscape of personal computing...
MS seems to realize the importance of it, too. At least on the logistical level.

From reading what little gets leaked, Win8 doesn't look like a re-write of the OS (just as Win7 wasn't a re-write of Vista).
It will be sort of "compartentalization" of the Win7 codebase.
So, for example, Windows desktop (having changed very little since the Win95 days) becomes an app.
Windows 8 desktop to be 'just another app,' says Microsoft exec - Computerworld
The default will be the "tiled" Metro UI but the standard desktop can be loaded just like any other app.

Also, Hyper-V will be built into the OS
Windows 8 will feature Hyper-V guest OS machine virtualization | ExtremeTech
Hopefully they won't restrict virtual machines to Windows only...

Diogen.

EDIT:
If Sinofsky - credited with making Win7 what it is and at the moment heading Win8 development - can pull it off
and create an OS for all 3 platforms (phone, tablet, PC), he might be first in line to replace Balmer...:)

Last edited:
Yeah Windows 8 will be real similar to Windows 7 there just a few differences between the two. The main difference will be Windows 8 Start Up screen which is really geared to wards Slates or Tablets. Now Windows 7 support touch I run it on my slate and it works fine Win8 will look more like the new Windows phone 7 OS in with it will have tiles so forth.. But yes its easy to see that Microsoft is making their OS look the same on all of their platforms.. To me know real rush to get on Win8 I think their main reason their coming out with it so soon is for the Tablet market but for those who have Windows Phone 7 Devices your already getting a little taste of what Win8 will have.. Overall its really easy to see that Windows will be in the top 2 on the tablet market and as well in the Mobile market..

The tablet version of Windows 8 (dev preview) has been revealed

windows8preview02.jpg

Live blog...

Diogen.

Don't Sell your iPad, but better than any Android Tablet... Gizmodo reviews the W8 Tablet

Windows 8 Slate Hands On: It's Fantastic. (But Don't Sell Your iPad.)

An interesting review.

YUSSSSSSSS. Largely this thing is great. You hate comparisons, but I'm going to make them: It's not on par with the iPad (even the original version, to say nothing of the iPad 2.) There are simply too many things that don't work as they should. But it's already far more usable than any Android tablet I've encountered. By the time Microsoft gets ARM straightened out and can ship this OS on optimized hardware, it's going to really sing. This is, in fact, the first tablet other than an iPad I can see myself buying and using. It's early, but Microsoft seems to have a hit.

Some details...
- whatever is shown, runs on Atom, ARM version isn't ready yet;
- Windows store;
- only Metru-UI apps allowed in ARM apps;
- the store the only way to install apps on ARM devices...

Looks like ARM tablets will be iPad-like, i.e. no sideloading apps...

Diogen.

Just like the iPad looks a lot like a big iPhone. I just don't know about Microsoft and a tablet PC....

More details:
- built-in a-la VirtualClone Drive (mounting VHD/ISO images) - long overdue;
- Remote desktop works with touch and virtual keyboard;
- multi-monitor support in Metro-UI;
- Eyefinity-like feature (built-in status bar across all monitors);
- Hyper-V

Everything is shown on a Samsung tablet.
And as rumored, all 5000 invitees will get one of them.

The question left to be answered - When will it be released?

Diogen.

Windows 8 details: new features, UI enhancements and everything in between -- Engadget

All Windows 7 applications will run natively on Windows 8
• Security update notifications have been minimized to the lower right of the log-in screen
• Refreshed Windows Task Manager suspends apps when they're not running on-screen
• New "Reset and Refresh PC" functions enable simplified system wipe and restore
• HyperV virtualization software comes pre-loaded on Windows 8
• Multi-monitor support now enables a single background across screens, as well as monitor-specific task bars
• Multi-touch support enabled for Internet Explorer 10
• Magnifier function enhanced for desktop manipulation
• Optional thumb-by-thumb input mode
• SkyDrive storage support integrated into all cloud-based apps
• Metro-style refresh for Mail, Photos, Calender and People apps with Windows Live ID
• Settings roam allows for preferences to sync across a user's Windows 8 devices
• Continued update support for Windows 8 Developer Preview Beta
• Even a Lenovo S10 (first-gen Atom + 1GB of RAM) can "run" Windows 8
• There's "no overlays" with Windows 8; Metro-style goodness is baked into the core
• Both Metro-style and conventional Win32 apps will be sold in the Windows Store
• Windows 8 devices equipped with an NFC chip will be able to use a tap-to-share feature to either send content from one device to another, or simply receive content from something like an NFC-equipped card.
• Logins will use a photo-based system
• Apps will be able to natively connect and understand one another (if written as such)
• Built-in antivirus software will ship in Windows 8
• There will not be a different edition of Windows 8 for tablets, and presumably, not for Media Centers either
• It's unclear how many "editions" (Home, Professional, Ultimate, etc.) of Windows 8 there will be
• ARM devices will be supported, but not in the developer preview

"Microsoft said we can't say who made the tablet until after today's keynote. (Damn, son.) But okay. That's cool. We won't mention which Korean manufacturer (that also makes lots of phones, some Android tablets, displays, televisions, and blu-ray players and is not LG or HTC) made this device until we get the official go-ahead."

Thought this was amusing.:)

Engadget supposedly has something about this also. I don't have the link, but from the comments I've seen in other discussions, this is basically the same full fledged tablet that hasn't sold for 10 years, complete with fan and 50% heavier than an iPad.

Something tells me this won't be an iPad killer...

Engadget supposedly has something about this also. I don't have the link, but from the comments I've seen in other discussions, this is basically the same full fledged tablet that hasn't sold for 10 years, complete with fan and 50% heavier than an iPad.

Something tells me this won't be an iPad killer...

It will be allot better than the Ipad and they will have lighter models coming out as well so not all of them will be tablets .. They might have some Quad Cored models out so right now it's way to early to see everything that is coming out. But the top manufactures will be making their hardware so Ipad will be a good product but it's still a mac.. At this point buy what you like to use but it's easy to see Microsoft is showing up at the party and they will have 1st choice when it comes to the latest hardware from the top manufactures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)