Wireless DECA and Hr-24

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

atistang

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Ohio
Had direct tv for about 2 weeks now, and i'm pretty happy with it. Except for on demand.

My hr-24 is hooked to a wireless deca. When i get something on demand it takes forever to download. For example, my gf wanted to watch dexter(1hr episode). It took nearly 4hrs to download it.

Is that normal? I came from cable and on demand with it was instant.

I can live with having to let something download, but 4hrs for 1hr of show seems a little slow.

My internet is 15mbps down and 1mbps up, so i know thats not the problem. Can i hooj the wireless DECA up to my network via network cable? Or do i need a different deca for that?

HR24 is generally never hooked to a DECA, that is probably the problem. The HR24 has built in DECA.

If it is the only receiver just hook it to the ethernet jack. If part of a DECA network, remove the DECA and reboot.

HR24 is generally never hooked to a DECA, that is probably the problem. The HR24 has built in DECA.

If it is the only receiver just hook it to the ethernet jack. If part of a DECA network, remove the DECA and reboot.
i was told that will disable my whole home dvr

Any other receiver it would, but the DECA is built-in on the HR24.

Is whole-home working good but not VOD? That could be a issue with the cinema connection kit / broadband deca.

Either way, a deca should never be hooked to the HR24.

Any other receiver it would, but the DECA is built-in on the HR24.

Is whole-home working good but not VOD? That could be a issue with the cinema connection kit / broadband deca.

yep, whole home dvr works like a charm, just the VOD is slow.

ok this is the way it is wired up

from the dish everything goes to a splitter, then there is a coax cable for each box (1 HR-24 and 2 H25's) then right before the coax in to the HR-24 there is a wireless deca. so should that deca be somewhere else? maybe up in the attic with the splitter?

I think the op is referring to wireless ick when he says wireless deca. If so, its fine to be on the hr24

The white one is a deca

The black one is the wireless dcck (ick)

Attachments

• image-141151007.jpg
    image-141151007.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 208
  • image-3872962563.jpg
    image-3872962563.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 214
yep its that dcck thing

the installer called it a wireless deca

it has an ethernet port on it, i was wondering if I can just connect my cat6 cable to it and get better results

ok, can i hook that dcck up via wired network and if i can will that give me better download speeds?

atistang,
What you are seeing is not normal. And your wireless CCK is OK where it is. Yes, you can hook the CCK directly to your network to test things out. You may have to start the setup from the beginning to make that happen, but that would be a good test of your setup. I hope the tech left the manual there for you to reference. If not, there are manuals available on-line.

Who is your cable provider for your internet? I question it because some folks are having problems with the Cox routers when it comes to wireless CCK connections.
Bob

i have cat6 drops right where the cck is, so i can wire it perminatly if it will work. i wanted to do it this way but the installer didn't seem to know if it would work or not

my internet is time warner cable road runner (cable modem)

this is with utorrent going so the internet speeds seem fine

i have cat6 drops right where the cck is, so i can wire it perminatly if it will work. i wanted to do it this way but the installer didn't seem to know if it would work or not
Your speeds are 5 times what I have and I do not take that much time to download a movie, even one that is longer than 1 hour. In fairness to your installer, it seems they get minimal training on all these new technologies and they are doing the best they know how. (I know my installer was very confused with MRV setup when he installed my system 14 months ago.) I would certainly set it up with the wired connection and just let it go at that, particularly since you have the wire right there. You will not get the full use of your bandwidth, however since I do believe I have read that D*'s servers throttle things to about 5Mbs per line. But, that will certainly get you a one-hour show in far less than 4 hours.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)