Wireless Genie Install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dhageremtp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
North Dakota
Hello all. was a dish sub the past few years, with ATT merger we changed to Direct. just had my install Thursday. Installer would not use the RG59 in the house, and instead did a wireless Genie install. what I have found is that the wireless clients are slower in responsiveness, go to change a channel and it takes a few seconds compared to the main unit. occasionally it will freeze for a second or two and then resume. I am not 100% satisfied with this, is there a method to improve it? Could the RG59 be used. I have one run that I could not change out with RG6 due to the home construction, split level, but the other two runs could be changed out.

Can I call direct and have them send me the regular units and send back the wireless units and do a self install using the not approved RG59 cable? Dish ran fine off of it.

Thanks

Hello all. was a dish sub the past few years, with ATT merger we changed to Direct. just had my install Thursday. Installer would not use the RG59 in the house, and instead did a wireless Genie install. what I have found is that the wireless clients are slower in responsiveness, go to change a channel and it takes a few seconds compared to the main unit. occasionally it will freeze for a second or two and then resume. I am not 100% satisfied with this, is there a method to improve it? Could the RG59 be used. I have one run that I could not change out with RG6 due to the home construction, split level, but the other two runs could be changed out.

Can I call direct and have them send me the regular units and send back the wireless units and do a self install using the not approved RG59 cable? Dish ran fine off of it.

Thanks
You can probably swap them out and run a new RG6 yourself now that the install is done ....
All the D* service should be on RG6 but it can't always be done.

The wireless is a bit slower. The genie mini's are slower than the main genie as well. I'm haven't compared wireless to wired mini's so I can't speak to that.

If you just had the service installed and are not satisfied with the wireless performance I would ask for a tech to come back out (it should be free).
They can try the RG59, if it isn't going to work they should be able to run a new line for you. Odds are if it is not a really long run the RG59 will work ok, especially with that not being the main run from the satellite to the Genie.

They can try the RG59, if it isn't going to work they should be able to run a new line for you. Odds are if it is not a really long run the RG59 will work ok, especially with that not being the main run from the satellite to the Genie.

they've already said they wont use it. at *best* they may replace the coax to the two rooms that CAN be fixed, but they wont use RG59. it'll make a cheap replacement for Indiana Jones' whip but that's about it. nothing but problems waiting to happen, and that can literally affect the tech's paycheck.

DirecTV policy is not to use RG59 for anything. However, because the link to the genie clients uses much lower frequencies than regular DirecTV, the RG59 signal losses are much lower and so in practice unless runs are long RG59 works fine.
If the OP is concerned about responsiveness of the client going to a wired client won't improve things too much. Remember all the actions are actually being made back at the main genie box, the client does not do channel changes etc itself.
Setting native to "off" on all the boxes and unchecking all the resolutions except 1080i might help by eliminating most of the resolution handshaking between the boxes and the TVs.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts