Wireless video/other options?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

phlatwound

SatelliteGuys Pro
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 25, 2007
Goosapeak Junction
What's the scoop on those cheap 2.4 GHz wireless video senders (like x10 and Terk Leapfrog), are they worth a dang?

If so, has anyone used one in conjunction with an FTA receiver?

I know I was able to use RG-6 to send A/V to other rooms from my old analog IRD but I don't think that is possible with the typical DVB receiver, what are other options for sending video from my C/Ku setup to other rooms? :confused:

I know I was able to use RG-6 to send A/V to other rooms from my old analog IRD but I don't think that is possible with the typical DVB receiver
Why not? I feed my 4DTV, OTA(HD), and FTA all around the house using cable. It ain't pretty but it does work. :)

I do the same. I bought a cheap RF amp and plugged it in between the output of my reciever and the splitter. Boosts the signal and it looks fine on the other TV's in the house.

I run various options throughout my house

Got a 2 input specific channel modulator that runs through coax...so on a couple TV's we have
OTA
Starchoice on 59
Coolsat 8000 on 64

FTA has a box in the specific rooms

But I've seen those 2.4ghz units and they may work...as long as you dont go through a bunch of walls :)

Why not? I feed my 4DTV, OTA(HD), and FTA all around the house using cable. It ain't pretty but it does work. :)

jeepguy, what outputs do you use off the FTA box, and do you take them to an RF amp like schlever mentions? I guess if you come off the composite outputs you have to adapt somehow to get it into the RG-6? :confused:

schlever, could you give me a link for a suitable RF amp? this is new stuff to me, thanks! :)

I run various options throughout my house

Got a 2 input specific channel modulator that runs through coax...so on a couple TV's we have
OTA
Starchoice on 59
Coolsat 8000 on 64

FTA has a box in the specific rooms

But I've seen those 2.4ghz units and they may work...as long as you dont go through a bunch of walls :)

I need to school myself on modulators and RF amps, don't have a clue....yet.

My Mom was the one that mentioned the video senders to me, she has a Directv sub and one of her friends that also has Directv is using an x10 to send A/V to a tv out on her deck, I'll check it out next time I'm over there. :)

The modulator I have has 3 inputs and 5 outputs

one is for coax from cable or OTA
the other 2 are rca plugs and I can select the channel between 40-99 or something like that
5 coax outputs

Have an older one that combined something to channel 3 and would pass through the rest of my OTA channels

so when I selected 2 4 5 9 11 etc I got those channels
when I selected 3 I got the Starchoice output

It will be harder with digital OTA channels as most tuners wont do analog

Something like this Phlat:

Channel Plus DA-500A RF Distribution amp 50-1000MHz 18d - (eBay.ca item 250295769891 end time 23-Sep-08 02:18:42 EDT)

You use the coax output from the back of the reciever (i.e. channel 3 or 4) and then feed that into the amp and the amp into the splitter.

Thanks for that, I've seen those before but didn't know their purpose.

I forgot I even had an RF output on my Visionsat. :eek:

I think the Channel 3-4 switching is done somewhere in the menus, I don't see an external switch. And it appears my Diamond 9000 has an RF in, but no RF out.

I run the RCA connections to the main TV and feed the rest of the house of the RF output. By the way, keep in mind that many wireless telephones also run on 2.4Ghz if you're seriously looking at a 2.4Ghz wireless video setup. They're not compatible and chances are neither will work.

I run the RCA connections to the main TV and feed the rest of the house of the RF output. By the way, keep in mind that many wireless telephones also run on 2.4Ghz if you're seriously looking at a 2.4Ghz wireless video setup. They're not compatible and chances are neither will work.

Ok, that's what I was wondering, didn't know if you were using one output (like the composite RCA) if you could use another (RF) at the same time.

Never thought about a conflict with the 2.4 GHz, our phones definitely are 2.4GHz so the video senders may not even be an option, thanks.

I also picked up a couple of remote control extenders too. That way you can change the channel from the other room ;) Right now I'm running 2 tvs off my cable box/satellite reciever upstairs and 3 off the same setup downstairs. Works great!

Couple of years ago a buddy was having a room-addition built onto his house.
He wanted an outdoor camera to log the progress, and record it to his computer.
After evaluating the 2.4ghz wireless cameras, he was disappointed.
They were analog transmission, with all the usual analog shortcomings with weak signal, range, interference, etc.

He has a hot wifi 2.4ghz router to run some of his computers.
That and the 2.4ghz cordless phones in his house pretty much used up the entire 2.4ghz band.
In the end, he never got the wireless camera to work out.
And it was due to his own interference or band-usage.
edit: the digital phone and wifi are resistant to interference; the analog TV signal was screwed by anything else on the band.
Even if you don't have lots of 2.4ghz toys, your close neighbors may.

I notice trouble with my digital cordless phone, when using it in front of my microwave.
Both are 2.4ghz band (well, close, not exact same frequency), and a tiny bit of leakage from a 900 watt source, plays hell with a several micro watt signal. ;)

The idea Jayelem suggested of going to 5.8ghz might be the best.
Whatever you get, be sure you can return it if not happy.

Never thought about not being able to control with the remote while in a different room, schlever, that would be very nice.

I'll check into the 5.8 GHz stuff jayelem, thanks, I've got lots to learn here.

Anole, another thing I had never considered is wifi interference. Just so happens I intalled a wireless router about a month ago, of course it's 2.4 GHz. Being able to take my laptop out to my dishes when I'm playing is a great tool.

Not worried about any interference (2.4 GHz or otherwise) from neighbors, the only things within at least 1/2 mile in any direction are cows, coyotes, armadillos, wild turkeys, deer....etc........and a few possums. :D

If you have issues with a wireless access point or router, try changing the channel. Look at the setup page of the access point or router to do this. For those in the city with many neighbours, this can make a huge difference of your wireless performance.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts