wireless within 2 yrs!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cableman2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 19, 2004
dtv is going to launch a wireless dish setup where the lnb and receiver are wireless :shocked ..great for installers..hehe,just aim dish plug rec.in and you're all set...you heard it first here on satelliteguys... :yes

this is still in testing and will not be in use for 2 yrs+.....but it will be cool as hell. :)

Well, they have to get their "Beta Testers" somewhere... LOL Wireless products will not be "Prime Time" ready, for approx. 5 years, but hey there will be a lot of people out there that will love to play with it...

Firstly they will start out with wireless boxes in about two years with the second generation Home Media Center as the first product of its kind for D*. So the main server would get a cable run from the dish itself but the other boxes won't need any cables from a multiswitch nor a dish. Just video/audio and power cables. Beyond that it will have a network card. I've also got word that D* is working with Starz and Real to get support for streaming Starz Ticket movies over a customers internet connection. Its planned to work like this.

Firstly it will only work with a broadband connection that has a download over 1Mbps. D* will have a channel setup for Starz On Demand that can only be tuned in if you order Starz but you don't need to pay extra for Starz Ticket. So this channel would have a list of movies exactly like Starz Ticket. You can view this entire list and playback anything and it will be streamed from your internet connection right away while it downloads. It will download in the background but it will also allow you to fast forward even if the download hasn't finished because it will stream it. It will take less than 30 minutes to fully download on nearly 90% of broadband customers and it will stay downloaded for 12 hours.

D* is also working with HBO and Showtime for something similiar.

Beyond that they do indeed have a longer term plan to have everything be as wireless as can be from the dish to the boxes. Just know that the boxes will be first while the dish will be the last thing to go wireless if ever at all.

I knew this was coming down the pike eventually with the wireless thing. The next step past this to make it much better would make it to where they could use a frequency in which only requires a whip antenna (or something similar). This may happen but different than any of us think.

They could make it to where one satellite dish serves an area (kind of like wifi) in a future generation. The whip antenna would be used to receive that signal. This is probably something similar to how it would work from the satellite to the receiver so why not have it work that way to a neighbor's house as well? The receivers may get a code to where it will only work off of that dish and both the dish and receivers may get an updated code every so often in case it gets figured out.

ShadowEKU said:
that would be very easy in a broadband home.

They do have plans to allow a person to use their broadband connection in place of the phone line. Also keep in mind that the software they will use for the broadband will only authorize your boxes if the IP address comes from the market that your address on file with them is at unless you tell D* what access cards might be at another state and address. So for example my address would say I'm in the Tampa Bay area so their software can check and make sure that the internet connection the box is using is in the Tampa Bay area.

yea, at least it's better than quicktime..lol..sorry apple fans,i had to ....

cableman2 said:
dtv is going to launch a wireless dish setup where the lnb and receiver are wireless :shocked ..great for installers..hehe,just aim dish plug rec.in and you're all set...you heard it first here on satelliteguys... :yes

this is still in testing and will not be in use for 2 yrs+.....but it will be cool as hell. :)

I heard about this back in January from one of the managers of the D* call center located in Huntsville. I was doing an upgrade at his house and he filled me in on it. The way he told me was that it would use a standard dish (whatever was standard at the time) and there would be a wireless hub/router somewhere inside the home (as it would need a constant 110v power source). The receivers would all be wireless.
I was also told that the release date was tentively scheduled for sometime in 2007-2008. He said they still had a number of bugs to work out on this system.

Beachbum said:
I don't like it. TV goes out, whoops, guess I have to replace the batteries in the LNB's again.

Nah Ide bet a couple of things with the LNB. A. Itl be plugged in somehow or B. it will have a solar power charger/battery.

LOL...great response doc...oh you forgot ,.....gas will be 25.00 a gallon......oooh what a horrible thought...

I never thought of that, how the lnbf's/switches would get the power. Solar power would not be a bad idea if it could give enough power. I dont think customers would want to battery power it having something else to replace every so often. Having to plug it into electric would defeat the purpose of making it wireless.

Stargazer said:
I never thought of that, how the lnbf's/switches would get the power. Solar power would not be a bad idea if it could give enough power. I dont think customers would want to battery power it having something else to replace every so often. Having to plug it into electric would defeat the purpose of making it wireless.
Exactly! Its stupid. Although they may do well in apartments, where the landlord doesn't want holes drilled, etc.

Remember that the LNBF's will take 18 VDC on the top end, to run them, so the Solar Array will be another mounting job... Say the whole job will only run approx. $1,200.00 RONTGLMAO

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)