WM9 real time encoder on the market.

Your upgrade is in the mail. It's in the same box as your DVR and Oval Dish, along with a coupon for free programming from your local RSN for 2 months. Just kidding. I've got to vent somewhere, the lack of news coming out of VOOM these days is killing me.

Since Voom has already said new codecs to arrive for SD first, does this mean that in addition to a module for the end users, they have to change out head end equipment?

Dvlos said:
Since Voom has already said new codecs to arrive for SD first, does this mean that in addition to a module for the end users, they have to change out head end equipment?
Yes, they need an encoder, similar to the one that vurbano pointed out. The card that (hopefully) they will send us is the decoder which (according to Wilt) will be capable of decoding both WM9 & H.264 (MPEG4) for both SD & HD. Wilt has also said that they would migrate the SD channels first (possibly to minimize risk).

Walter L. said:
Yes, they need an encoder, similar to the one that vurbano pointed out. The card that (hopefully) they will send us is the decoder which (according to Wilt) will be capable of decoding both WM9 & H.264 (MPEG4) for both SD & HD. Wilt has also said that they would migrate the SD channels first (possibly to minimize risk).
With all those new transponders, why wouldn't Wilt just simulcast SD channels (MPEG2, MPEG4 and WM9) as they are being migrated/transitioned/implemented...?????.....it sure would be nice to know what the little dickens are up to!!! Why don't then just tell us? I'm sure D* and E* aren't too concerned with that little ole V* is up to these days.

riffjim4069 said:
With all those new transponders, why wouldn't Wilt just simulcast SD channels (MPEG2, MPEG4 and WM9) as they are being migrated/transitioned/implemented...?????.....
There is no need to simulcast. As soon as they send us the decoder cards, they should be able to migrate channels. I suspect that they will start with some of the less watched SD channels to minimize the impact in case that something goes wrong. If that's the case they can always switch back to MPEG-2 until the problem is investigated/fixed.

Knowing Voom, they will probably have your installer come out with the card to make sure it's done right and charge you/me a $50 install fee, not to mention it would take a year to complete this task for everyone and that's not counting for the times they bring a D* and/or E* card that won't work or an original V*card they just took out of someone else's box and brought it from there office by accident.

voomvoom said:
Knowing Voom, they will probably have your installer come out with the card to make sure it's done right and charge you/me a $50 install fee, not to mention it would take a year to complete this task for everyone and that's not counting for the times they bring a D* and/or E* card that won't work or an original V*card they just took out of someone else's box and brought it from there office by accident.
Of course, many of them will have a "Great Offer" from E* or D* they will try to sell ya!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts