[New York] WOR to announce new morning show

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Wadio

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Connecticut
Elliot Segal, a Washington DC morning host will take over morning drive after the first of the year. John Gambling made the announcement this morning. The official release will be at 9 am. Gambling said Segal is "moving to New York," so the show may not be syndicated (for now.)

According to Wikipedia, "Segal is a "shock jock", who is fond of toilet humor, gross-out jokes, and oddball stunts, which have comprised a large portion of material on his show, ... "

I already knew I won't be listening to WOR from noon to 6 pm next year ... now I can add 6-10 am.

I listen to Mark Simone's podcasts, but he does not talk about other shows very much. John and Ken are getting dropped too, right?

I heard Mark was planning to discuss the new lineup this morning but I forgot to listen. Should be part of the first half hour of today's podcast.

When the new schedule kicks in John & Ken are gone from 710. The 9-10 hour was a simulcast of KFI's 6-7 pm PT hour so I'll continue to listen online. The 10-11 hour was John minus Ken anyway.

As for "Eliot in the Morning," I'll be streaming that too. Well, actually "Elliott in the Morning" on WILM/WDOV out of Delaware (ironically they're also Clear Channel stations.)

http://www.wilm.com/pages/elliott.html

Bruce Elliott used to do Saturday mornings on WBAL in Baltimore. I started streaming that show when WABC kept cutting back on Saturday morning hours. He's a unique and entertaining guy who doesn't rely on "bits" and forced humor.

Imus vs. Elliot Segal? Kinda like choosing between a headache and a stomach ache.

I cannot imagine why he's bothering to move to NY. He could do the show from his current home and nobody would know the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I suspect Segal will set up shop in Manhattan for awhile and do the show from WOR's studios, then quietly move back to DC. That's what Doug McIntyre did when he came from LA to start "Red Eye Radio" on WABC.

Have you ever listened to Doug's KABC show with T-Rae? I liked them both (separately) for years, but ... Enough said.

Have you ever listened to Doug's KABC show with T-Rae? I liked them both (separately) for years, but ... Enough said.

I have and unfortunately it doesn't work at all. I was a huge fan of Doug's overnight show because the simple format let him showcase his talent for reacting to the day's news, storytelling and featuring some of the music he obviously loves. The morning show is just the opposite -- too many elements and too many voices. It's a cluttered mess. I have a feeling we may be in for the same on the new WOR morning show, but we'll see.

I listened to a few minutes to Elliott Segal's DC gig yesterday morning. A few thoughts:

I understand what CC is trying to do with WOR. The station has traditionally lagged behind WABC's ratings by about half (at least 6+) and I suspect the younger demos are abysmal. They need to shake things up. They need to get attention and this guy will definitely get people talking. There will be outrage ... there will be negative news items and blogs ... there will be people tuning in to see what all the fuss is about. If they've picked their most tasteless and disgusting morning show and plan to use it to create buzz I think that strategy makes sense. After a few months they can replace it with something more mainstream, get another round of publicity and perhaps attract a larger and more diverse audience.

But I question whether they're confusing "young vs. old" with "tasteless vs. responsible." Not all younger listeners are into "shock." Many have responsible careers and are starting young families. In the segment I heard yesterday Segal was taking calls from people who've been stabbed and asking what it felt like. I can actually see Bill Handel doing something like that but he'd do it from a different perspective and with humor. Segal sounds like he's targeting 18-25 urban males with the lowest class street language. OK, if that's the audience CC wants -- but will they tune into AM radio? Will advertisers want to be connected with this show? We'll see.

There are younger talk hosts who can appeal to what I believe is a broader, smarter segment of the younger demo. Jon Grayson for example knows pop culture and talks about it in addition to offering unique opinions about anything and everything in the news. I could see him doing the knife thing too but I don't believe he has numerous FCC fines under his belt as Elliot does. Grayson is civil and responsible -- that's the difference.

Clear Channel knows how to program a station for success -- they've done it with KFI. WOR with a morning shock jock, a mid morning host who routinely interviews Dick Cavett and other aging celebs, an afternoon of over-the-hill partisan shouters, an evening of a younger sounding Rush/Hannity clone followed by a pay-for-play financial program and weekends with Joan Hamburg surrounded by infomercials -- that's a mess, IMHO.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts