WORKAROUND HDMI-HDCP ENCRYPTION

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bruce&Penny

Original poster
Dec 15, 2008
Hi All!

ENVIRONMENT: I'm Bruce in Pompano Beach, FL. I am a Direct TV subscriber and I have a Model HR20-700 DVR. I curently feed my HDV content via HDMI from the HR20 to my Sony flat sceen. I now want to run the HDMI cable to an HDMI video card on my APPLE MAC PRO and maintain 1080p. I understand a Slingbox does NOT keep HD for APPLE computers, so I am now considering the Black Magic Design Pro HDMI PCI card for Mac, but I am concerned about HDCP Encryption...

OBJECTIVE: I want to be able to watch HD content in a window on my Mac Pro Cinema Screen while I work, and use that big Apple hard drive as HD video storage...

QUESTION: Will there be HDCP encryption issues with this plan? If so, what's the work around? Is there a HDCP "stripper" box out there with in/out for HDMI? Is there an even better solution?

Thanks in Advance!

Bruce

There are certain boxes that supposedly strip HDCP encryption, apparently some AV receivers also do this "accidentally" (or so users say).

However, if I recall, the black magic card needs massive storage space (as in, even more so than normal) as if I recall (big IF) it records the uncompressed data stream over HDMI (no nice mpeg style compression)

It may be easier to look into something along the lines of the Hauppage HD-PVR, which captures via component hookups (don't know if this is what you want though!)

Folks the people from the satellite companies would like me to remind you that trying to remove copy protection from broadcasts is in violation of DMCA laws.

Therefore because talk of removing copy protection is not a permitted topic here since it violates US law.

Thanks for your understanding!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)