WorldSport-HD Events Review...

I'm one of those who loves the soccer on World Sport. I have a gripe though. Most of the games are replays of earlier matches. I don't have a problem with the replays. What I have a problem with is not knowing the stakes of the match. I would love to see at the very least the date of the game and the records of the two teams in the info box. This would help in educating me, the ignorant US fan. A little more info than "Spanish League Soccer in High Def" would be appreciated. It comes off as lazy to me and how can you get passionate about a Sport if you have no idea of the inside and outside drama(s) involved?

-Chris

Also, if I made add, they just started the 'La Liga" program which summarizes everything for the week. It is a nice one hour program. Well produced and with a lot of good commentaries and insight. They usually have it one hour before the LIVE Spanish Premier League game.

As Ilya, pointed out it will be great if they do same for the UEFA Cup. I agree that some of the Taped games will be much better if there was an introduction to them and if it was taped to give us the date it was played. The earlier games played in October & November give you the date it was played but just in the beginning or at the end of the match. The more recent taped games do not.

So, anyone will be able to watch the today's match? The 3 PM game time is killing me!
If anyone will be watching, please post your comments here and on AVSForum in the UEFA Cup Live in HD on VOOM thread.

Anxious to see Sean's game commentary, as always!

Enjoy the game!

kuryakin if i may

you there friend? i'll get us started as these players are about to take to the pitch

PROBABLE STARTING LINE-UPS

Marseille: Barthez; Beye, Hemdami, Meite; Perez, Flamini, N'Diaye, Batlles, Dos Santos; Marlet, Drogba

Liverpool: Dudek; Carragher, Hyypia, Henchoz, Biscan; Murphy, Hamann, Gerrard, Kewell; Owen, Baros
Rob Hogley

Sean -we're waiting on your great commentary, and we want to know is scooter can stream game audio on satguys radio - what a concept so from the veladrome here is is

Unfortunately, I am stuck at work. Have a presentation today at 4pm. I wished I could see it but I guess I will have to wait until tonight.

catch ya later

i'm not going to be a spoiler for y'all so long as get to see replay 1000pm but we got blood from the goalie, liverpool redcarded(different play), six minutes of injury time(bonus), and more, second half underway bye

Got home in time to catch the final minutes of the match...
Marseille 2 - Liverpool 1. The final score!

I also watched the Barcelona-Celtic game (taped) on Fox Sports World. Very interesting game, inspite of the 0-0 final score. Since Barcelona lost in the first leg - they are out of the Cup now!

Boy, how hard it is to watch soccer in SD after seeng it on WorldSport!

sandpit said:
we got blood from the goalie, liverpool redcarded(different play), six minutes of injury time(bonus),
I enjoyed this game although I thought Liverpool got shafted on that red card. Seemed a bit harsh to me. This game showed in a gruesome way the huge difference that HD resolution can make. I could tell that the goalie was in trouble much sooner than the two announcers as you could actually see the blood dripping from his nose through the crowd of coaches, trainers and players surrounding him. In SD it would have been hard to tell which player was actually hurt :) With all of the bad things that happen at soccer matches in Europe and with the obvious dangers of fire, explosions, etc. did anyone find it remotely odd that in the stands fans were alllowed to twirl around lit flares?

How is the Audio

Hey all! I don't have Voom but am considering it almost exclusively for the WorldSport channel. I'm a HUGE soccer fan and Fox Sports World is the best I can get on my digital cable. They seem to have much better selection of leagues than WorldSport but they don't have HD. Obviously that makes all the difference as some on here aren't even soccer fans but the HD experience brings it home like being in the stadium.

So, I have a question about the "experience". One of the best parts of European soccer is the crowd noise. The singing and chanting beats a US stadium any time. However, is this noise delivered in Dolby Digital/DTS over Voom. In other words, will I get any surround sound from these broadcasts? I'm a total novice but I thought someone told me that HD would allow this type of sound track to be delivered. I look forward to your answers.

I, too, am a huge soccer fan. But I can't get into the Fox Sports World broadcasts because they look like sh!t.

I LOOOOOOVE WorldsportHD - and you won't be disappointed. As far as audio, I do believe the games are broadcast in 5.1 and the atmosphere for the game is great (though the announcers can be a bit annoying).

This is a great channel - and my favorite part of VOOM.

azfrog said:
However, is this noise delivered in Dolby Digital/DTS over Voom. In other words, will I get any surround sound from these broadcasts? I'm
Yes, the sound is in 5.1 surround sound. However, the mix doesn't emphasize the crowd noise to the point it competes with the announcers. However, you do get to hear the crowd singing their songs and my favorite which does come close to drowning out the announcers is when exuberant fans knowing that the game is in hand start yelling "Olé" at every pass. This just has to be demoralizing for the losing team in a big way.

Side note: Since my last post in this thread I saw a game just recently where some fireworks or flares actually did get out of control and a full blown inferno was raging just behind the end line where apparently a bunch of paper garbage caught fire. The game was actually paused for a while as the firefighters tried to get it under control.

Thanks for the info on the soundtrack. I'm glad to hear it's in surround. Maybe future games will be broadcast to emphasize the crowd enough that it feels like you're in the stadium but still allow you to hear the announcers.

About the flares, I've watched many games over the last 15 years and I've noticed this phenomenon too. I have no idea how those are allowed in stadiums but Spain has a mild reputation for this. In games in Turkey that I've seen, the fans there are maybe the craziest on Earth. The pan shot of those stadiums during the big games looks like a raging inferno. I mean there are hundreds of flares at one time (usually behind the goals where the fanatics are) and you wonder if the whole stadium is on fire. I guess that's all part of why I love this game and the passion.

Well, I may be a Voom subscriber soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts