Worst experience(luck?) ever!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

CEV

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jul 17, 2005
I ordered an upgrade to HD over a month ago. They were here this past tuesday to install the new dish and reciever. Turns out the HR-20 does not work, so I have to call CS to order a replacement. They send me a replacement and it arrives today. Guess what, this one does not work either!! Supposedly on the first one the tuner 1 did not work. I was getting a signal on tuner 2 but not 1. It is not the cables because I switched those around on the tuners and it was the same result. Plus I also put back the SD DVR and I'm getting a signal on both tuners.

So when I get the replacement one today on the box it says recertified. I hook it up and this time tuner 1 is getting a signal, great right? No, because now tuner 2 is not getting a signal on this replacement unit. So I go through an hours worth of troubleshooting with CS and she finally says they'll need to send a replacement. This really bites ***!!! I've got my 3rd HD DVR on the way now. Has anyone else ran into this issue with one of the tuners not working? What really sucks is I'm paying $300 for the receiver to upgrade!!! Why should I have to pay $300 for something that is not very reliable? I'm so pissed I don't know what to do. I just want my HD!!! Now!!!

CEV

I feel your pain, I just got D* installed last friday and I've already got a new HD DVR coming in next week. I've had the thing freeze up at least once a day and when it's not freezing up it's losing authorization for certain channels. Last wednesday we're watching NBC and right in the middle of the show the picture goes black and I get an "You are not subscribed to this channel" message. Between the DVR and the mix up with channels and some other things I've been on the phone with D* everyday this week. To be honest I'm questioning whether making the move over was worth it. My wife already wants to get rid of it.

You're not using the same BBC's on each box, are you? It sounds like one of them could be bad....

I've tried it without the BBC's and with the new ones. Same result. Very frustrating!!!

similar problem

Had an istall last wed. for 1 hd-dvr and 1 hd. Had Dish for years. First installer said I didn't need the b-band modules that came in the box. Couldn't pick up sat 103b where the new hd channels are. They sent a tech out next evening and he put the b-bands on the receivers. The non dvr recv. picked up the sat but the dvr one still didn't They said they would have to ship me one out. So far I think the picture looks similiar to Dish but the megpeg 4 hd looks good. I think DTV has a ways to go to match the 622.

My 3rd HD-DVR is now on the way and should be here wednesday I hope. I have not been able to see the DTV HD yet and it is very frustrating. I called them up yesterday and they did give me a $200 credit, so that makes it a little better. What I really want is to be able to watch HD!! Hopefully a couple of more days. It can't be possible to get 3 HD-DVR's in a row that do not work, right?

CEV

My 3rd HD-DVR is now on the way and should be here wednesday I hope. I have not been able to see the DTV HD yet and it is very frustrating. I called them up yesterday and they did give me a $200 credit, so that makes it a little better. What I really want is to be able to watch HD!! Hopefully a couple of more days. It can't be possible to get 3 HD-DVR's in a row that do not work, right?

CEV

Oh, it's possible! Good luck, though.

Refurbished replacement arrive yesterday. After it was activated I was still havinf drop outs and missinf a few of the newer hd channels. I was finally transferred to tech service. Went thru the whole start-up again. When rechecking the signal strength had no signal for one of the tuners for sat 103b. She asked me to change the bband for that tuner. First check didn't change. A few minutes later the signal came up and channels also. I told her I had problems with E and that was why I switched(patience ran out). I told her that D was getting close to my last nerve. I like the pq but think the 622 has it all over the hd20dvr. I hope eveything stabilizes since we had a signal problem with the hd locals for a few minutes last nite. After reading some of these posting I'm a little concerned this will continue.

Refurbished replacement arrive yesterday. After it was activated I was still havinf drop outs and missinf a few of the newer hd channels. I was finally transferred to tech service. Went thru the whole start-up again. When rechecking the signal strength had no signal for one of the tuners for sat 103b. She asked me to change the bband for that tuner. First check didn't change. A few minutes later the signal came up and channels also. I told her I had problems with E and that was why I switched(patience ran out). I told her that D was getting close to my last nerve. I like the pq but think the 622 has it all over the hd20dvr. I hope eveything stabilizes since we had a signal problem with the hd locals for a few minutes last nite. After reading some of these posting I'm a little concerned this will continue.

Signal strength issues probably have to do with the dish not being pointed correctly and not the receiver... what are the signal strengths?

You're not using the same BBC's on each box, are you? It sounds like one of them could be bad....
The BBCs are notorious. Of the three in my original install, two were bad. Try eliminating that first by switching them around. (after you confirm strong signals of course!) Sux...:cool:

Well, my 3rd replacement is another factory reconditioned unit. In the process of hooking it up now. It is currently downloading new software. It is also a HR20-100. What is the difference between this unit and the new HR-700's? I'll post back shortly how this one turns out.

IT WORKS!!!! THANK THE LORD!!! IT WORKS!!!

Now I need to start playing around with it to get familiar with it. I just hope I don't start having drop-outs like others here.

Update

Last nite the dvr wouldn't record. Had to do a reset to get it back working. Also noticed that there was a 7-8 second delay for the picture to come up after switching channels. I'm now concerned that I'm may have jumped the gun switching from E. Two weeks of service( I was out of town for 5 days) and already a receiver replacement as well as other problems. And what is the deal with the sound problem. I have seen excuses on this site that it isn't D fault but do remember that E eventually dealt with this problem with acceptable results. Any reccom would be appreciated.

I wouldnt have been better off just buying a brand new one with the same price from Circuit city.. they always send refurbished ones from directv

My advice would be not to expect new technology to be glitch free, as far as the pause between channels make sure you only have native set on the box or the receiver never both! The DVR recording issue could be just a software issue If you call in you can get a tec to trouble shoot it for you, Id also sign up on dvt's web site and resend the authorizations.

resend authorizations
reset the box
then resend authorizations again

I understand your frustrations, the least hassle is to just not buy a DVR and get a standard HD receiver, less parts less problems but if you must have a HD DVR get the protection plan.

I'm usually very patient as long as I know they are dealing with the problem. I went thru the glitches with E (944 & 622). I usually read Scotts postings to see what glitches they are working on. He seems to be right on when dealing with problems and software upgrades. I am pleasantly surprised of the quality of many of the hd channels. It takes me back to the Voom days.Lol.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts