WOW, Not sure if E2 is for me...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

GetBit03

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
St. Louis MO.
Well I decided to get a new receiver and went for an E2 based box. I figured out how to flash the receiver and have OpenATV in slot 1 OpenVix in slot 2 and OpenPLI in slot 3 all three work. My issue is setting the dang thing up. I'm usually really good with these things but nothing is making sense to me at all. I cant find anything on USALS and the DISEqC 1.0 commands keep moving my C band V-box for some reason even if I'm scanning KU band... I've tried all three versions with the same results so it is something I am setting up wrong. When I select a C-band sat the scan shows KU frequencies and I can not change them. when I scan KU it see's transponders but finds no channels. I'm frustrated pretty bad right now. Searching on the net has resulted in no help so far. I may need some help from the E2 Experts here. I think it will all click once I understand but boy I'm in left field RN... Is there a decent guide anywhere for a DUMB NOOB?

What E2 STB?

Tell us about your system. Multiple dishes? Switches? DiSEqC 1.0 / 1.1 / 22KHz? LNB / LNBFs? Type of motor or motors?

Yes, DiSEqC 1.0 commands can often control a V-Box. See the V-Box owners manual for an explanation. Both DiSEc 1.0 and DiSEqC 1.2 commands can be used with several versions of a V-Box. Best not to use DiSEqC 1.0 switches with a V-box or the commands will get mixed-up. Use a DiSEqC 1.1 switch instead.

Some images / STBs have had issues with logging KU frequencies during C-band scans.

OpenPLI has a very good Wiki / FAQ.

Not sure of what settings you have but screen shots would be helpful. Anyway, if you're using the osmio 4k, when you set up the satellites, SETUP->Tuners&Scanning->Tuner configuration->Tuner A->"Use USALS for this sat" defaults to USALS. For the BUD you'll want to turn that off and you'll see a stored position setting option show up. Leave USALS on for your small Ku dish and enter your lat/long. Also, I turned on diseqc mode 2.0. I leave the diseqc commands off. Make sure you set the LNB for C-band. I think it defaults to Universal so you'll get bogus Ku TP's with that setting. Hopefully that helps.

Box is a Zgemma H9 Combo. I have a Primestar 84e with a Stab HH90 on DISEqC 1.0 port 2 and a 7.5' C-band with a PLL LNB on DISEqC 1.0 port 1. V-Box mover for the BUD. I did find the USALS commands in the receiver and set it up but the dish went to Zero but will not move now. Even when I try and set it up single sat I can not get any channels C band or KU. It's driving me MAD!

that is strange with the 1.0 commands getting messed up with the v box. I have had this same setup running with the x2 premium HD since 2007 and the only time I ever got a usals command that activated the v box is when I drove the dish to zero the v box would also try to drive to zero. I'm so confused. I've messed with different settings/images and nothing is working I can not find a single channel. I'm not even trying to set the motors up at this point I'm just trying to get channels to scan in... PULLS HAIR OUT.

Specs for the Stab HH90 say diseqc 1.2.....could that be part of the problem?
As for multiple images I'd stick with one and master it first, since Enigma2 setup is basically the same.
Bells and whistles is what makes different images....different.
Try to slow down. If getting the whole positioner/switch array setup is confusing, try to granulate it all and get one part working then move on the the next part. Personally I use diseqc 1.2 on my Titanium ASC1. It takes a bit of work finding and recording sat positions. Keeping track on paper of how many counts per degree between each satellite in the arc, etc.
Although I'm not using ku just yet I do have a good working receiver/mover combo and have switches down pretty good.
A general mental map or photos of your cabling would be a nice thing to have.

Sorry, not going to be much help with the Zgemma H9. Tested one, then got rid of it.

If in USALS the HH90 motor drives to zero when a satellite is selected, either the install location longitude or latitude is incorrect or the satellite slot is incorrect or calculated to be out of range ( beyond +/- 70 degrees).

Maybe start with no switches or motors inline with a direct coax connection from the STB to the LNBF and test if you can scan a single satellite. A member on this forum Chewie had bought a H9. He might have some suggestions.

Btw... not all E2 STBs are the same.

arlo the HH90 operates on DiSEqC 1.2 and / or USALS.

Reactions: KE4EST
It's from a different forum but they did an excellent job leading people through setting up an E2 receiver with different sections explaining with pictures how to make it work. They used a Zgemma H7 and OpenAtv so flashing your receiver might be a bit different but E2 is basically E2. Someone just starting out should devour this section on the E2 receiver. If your not using OpenAtv it will be a 'little' different but most of the menus and everything else is very similar regardless of what receiver or version of E2 your using. E2 has a pretty steep learning curve but stick with it and take it one step at a time and you'll find these boxes with all the plugins you can get will do just about anything.

I can tell you, I have run into Diseqc 1.0 switches that did not work with my E2 receiver. But, i have inline Diseqc 1.0 and Diseqc 1.1 and works great with my E2. - I recently setup my USALS again, and i did it for the first time on my E2. I have multiple tuner slots on the back of my E2. I used a empty one i had so that there are no switches inline to the USALS. USALS works fine for it.

Got the box mostly figured out and also figured out what the problem was with my system I've been having lately. My old box was semi working but the E2 box would not work with the fault at all, Weird. Anyway replaced the bad cable from the Primestar LNB to the switch and I have the E2 box up and running! It works pretty dang good besides having no C-Band blindscan. There is a workaround but the frequencies displayed are KU. I hope they fix this at some point others have reported it as well. Man that bad cable threw me for a loop. Funny thing is I tried the old Receiver and it's still not working fully... May have had two issues, Who knows.

Well don't feel too bad. Cables have thrown a lot of people off. Switches can be finicky.
The PurE2 image has "supposedly" fixed the blindscan issue. The guy that soap boxes that image swears it is fixed. I haven't tried it because my H7 sits over there collecting dust. Did I say 'os mio'? hah!
Anyway Enigma2 is pretty slick when you learn it. Tons of plugins and tweaks you can do with it.
I'm a big stereo nut and I can tell you that having ACM/VCM capabilities to get the music stations blows Internet streaming right out of the water.
Good job is acing out the problems.

If I get used to this E2 box and enjoy it I'll buy a Mio. I got this box for a pretty good deal so I can't complain. I will test out the PurE2 image see if the C band blindscan is fixed. would be nice for sure.

Reactions: arlo