XM Channels now gone :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dtrose

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Dallas, TX
Time to start thinking about a potential move back to Dish. And yes I like Sirius / XM. I have it in 3 cars and stream it on my PC.

The XM channels are gone and the sonic music channels are there now.

I'd never leave DIRECTV over some audio only channels changeover.

It wouldn't even matter to me if the dropped they audio only channels all together.

Uh.. im lost here. If you got XM in your car, they do make accessories so you can bring your XM into the house or wherever you go... i dont get it, youre giving up D* bc they dont have XM anymore?

I have an iPod Touch and i have a plug in for that to my stereo as well as my XM radio that i have in my truck...

really?

I have the iphone app so I can take it with me where I go...Can't waste the bandwidth streaming at work...So I use my iphone to listen to O & A in the morning.

The XM channels are gone and the sonic music channels are there now.

I'd never leave DIRECTV over some audio only channels changeover.

It wouldn't even matter to me if the dropped they audio only channels all together.
:up

I know how you feel, the last time I checked on Sirius XM channels on DirecTV before changing over to Sonic Tap channels was a day ago. I miss Cousin Brucie and Radio Disney :(

But time to move on.

Bummer for me since it looks like I can't get some of the SonicTap channels that are on other birds. My setup at home is that I use my D11 Box for music and occasional SD TV on my PC/TV display. I'm using the D11 box on an old vintage '99 Sony SD dish.

I checked my HR22 in my main viewing room and I get all of the SonicTap channels. I guess I'll get that RC64RF Remote Control and listen to my HR22 in my PC Study room.

It seems strange to me that only some of the SonicTap channels are on separate birds.

I have another question about the SonicTap playlists. I really liked the XM "Now Playing" web page so that I could glance at what's playing while working at my PC.

I went to the SonicTap home web page but I don't see any option for a "now playing" page. I don't have a SonicTap acct so I don't know if I need to be logged into the site. It looks like I can't do that without paying for a SonicTap acct which I won't do that since I get what I need from the DTV music channels.

As for my take on SonicTap so far: I think I'm in the minority here but I like the change early on, but I only listen to the Jazz music channels. The sound seems to be better than the XM channels. I'm listening to the channels via my Home Theater Receiver unit.

I like the playlists so far on Ch 850 (Classic Jazz Vocal Blend). Since I can't get the "Standards" (Jazz vocals) 852 channel on my D11, the mix on Ch 850 works good for me.

From looking at my HR22 menu, it looks to me, as a Jazz lover, that I'm getting more channels from SonicTap than XM.

Confused tho... doesn't Liberty have a stake in SiriusXM too? Wouldn't they want it on Direct? Maybe I'm wrong...
Yup they do, and they figure whos going to pay for the service if they get it free for us.

So removing the channels benefits them if people miss the service and go out and subscribe.

I'm really not liking the new 90's station at all. XM 90's seems like it was far better. Its early though.

I listened to the "adult alternative" station all day. Liked it a lot. Wider variety of music and no talking!!! So far so good...

So I intentionally didn't tell my wife about this change, she listens to the country music on XM via DirecTV through the day at home.

Tonight she immediately complained when I tretched in covered in snow - "they changed the music and I don't like the new one".

Ugh.

Guess I need to get another XM radio again.

Didn't take her long to notice, and even less time to not like it. Myself, I haven't tried it yet. I mostly listen to Alternative, and don't like "alt nation" as much as the former "Ethel", so I may give the new one a try.

To my ears, the SQ is the same as it was with XM when played through my stereo system, acceptable but nothing to write home about.

But overall, I like SonicTap better because at least on the channels that I have sampled so far there is no talk. That's what I hated about XM. I am listening to the 50's on 5 channel and some guy keeps coming on to say "You're listening to 50's on 5." Well gee, I already know I'm listening to 50's on 5. That's why I tuned in to it. I don't need my music interrupted by somebody telling me something I know already.

So yes, Sonictap is good in that it is pure music, what I tuned in for, without all of the useless chatter that only distracts from my listening experience.

But overall, I like SonicTap better because at least on the channels that I have sampled so far there is no talk. That's what I hated about XM. I am listening to the 50's on 5 channel and some guy keeps coming on to say "You're listening to 50's on 5." Well gee, I already know I'm listening to 50's on 5. That's why I tuned in to it. I don't need my music interrupted by somebody telling me something I know already.

I agree with that... but the only XM station i liked with a DJ was First Wave. Richard Blade was king of New Wave here in LA on 106.7 KROQ. Since he's left the local airwaves, i kinda miss him. Granted i could only really listen to that XM station for so long before it became redudant and i found another good station, Classic Vinyl (i think). And yeah, the DJ banter was pretty useless...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)