XM-Sirius Announce a la Carte Pricing

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
The first package is 50 satellite radio channels for $6.99 per month, a 46 percent savings over the get-all-of-the-channels-for-$12.95 package - currently the only option. Extra channels would be as little as 25 cents each - and the price would cap at $12.95. Need a bigger lineup than that? For $14.99, pick your favorite 100 channels. In addition, there are a number of other packages that will be available - a "best of" Sirius and XM for $14.99 and a Sports-News-Talk package for $9.99, among others. (Check out the full press release with a lineup of the proposals.)

XM-Sirius Announce a la carte Pricing - Pending Merger Approval - Post I.T. - A Technology Blog From The Washington Post - (washingtonpost.com)

This is confusing.

I guessing I can't do this, but if I can do the 50 a la carte', and pick and choose from both services to a total of 50...that would be perrrrfect.

It looks like a raise without saying our prices are going up. They said before this merger, prices would not raise but we would get all the programing for each. This is what was said on the Howard Stern show about 6 months ago when he interviewed the CEO of Sirius.

Ok this merger is now totally not making any sense to me.

Wasn't it supposed to be so both companies can combine together and lower their operation costs by getting rid of duplicate programming?

How can they do that if they are going to offer both Sirius and XM? If they are merging shouldn't they combine? It don't really sound like the customer is going to get anything new.

I'll take the $6.99 only if I can get SIRIUS 80's!! That station is, in my opinion, the bomb!! :) Of course, I jam out in my office seat to songs that I would never admit to jamming out to anymore.

Will Energie 2 be part of this deal?

Cade

It looks like a raise without saying our prices are going up. They said before this merger, prices would not raise but we would get all the programing for each. This is what was said on the Howard Stern show about 6 months ago when he interviewed the CEO of Sirius.

Not what was said. Never said we would get all the programming from each, with no cost increase over the present $12.95. Think about it. Baseball, Football, Stern, O&A, etc.. and all the different music channels, for no cost increase over $12.95? He didn't and never would say that. Obviously that can't happen. What was said is getting programming from both would be less than you would pay now. That's $25.90.

Last edited:
Sounds like we're going to have to pay for a sports subscription.

Yes and no. If you subscribe to everything from either, you get everything for the current cost. (no change at all)

If you go a la carte, yes it appears premium channels are not included. But it also appears even adding those would not make the cost any higher, and quite abit lower than having both subscriptions now.

It makes more sense if you forget the idea of having everything now offered by both companies.
It is being set up so that you can keep what you have.

Or, choose a primary provider for music/news/talk, then add a few other channels from the other provider that you like in those catagories. Then pay for whatever sport(s) you want. This would be more than the $12.95 you are paying now, but much less than having to subscribe to both now, yet getting just about the best (for you) of both.

And don't underestimate the new lower starting point of $6.99, a big way to get people into satellite radio.
If this happens, it is the best news about the merger yet, and will make marketing of satellite radio more appealing.

SOOOOOO...basically they're going to add 10 channels to each service, and raise the price $4?

This press release is pretty meaningless, unless they tell you what the 10 channels are on each side. Also, the Pick 50 plan seems appealing, except "premiums" aren't included. What are the premiums? Currently, there are no "premium" channels on XM. They are listing $3 "Premiums" and $6 "Super Premiums." Huh?

My guess- Stuff like The Virus, Oprah, Stern, ect will be "premiums" and sports packages will be "super premiums"

Oh well, as long as my service doesn't change, it doesn't matter. I guess I would consider moving down to Pick 50- get 50 music channels and add The Virus for $3. I might consider the $14.99 plan, if I knew what Sirius channels would be offered to XM...It'd be nice to be able to get NPR on XM. (Yes, I listen to both The Virus & NPR.)

If I have to pay more than I am right now to get the music, sports, and news then say goodbye. I was close to cancelling when XM raised to 12.95 but my dad went in with me to make it cheaper.

I have been a Howard Stern fan since I was knee high, and he better get on top of this. If he has any "power" like we all know he does, he better correct this or he will take the blame!

Sirius and XM were to merge and for the regular price of $12.95, we would have all the channels from both services; duplicate channels would either merge or one would overtake the other!

Ok this merger is now totally not making any sense to me.

Wasn't it supposed to be so both companies can combine together and lower their operation costs by getting rid of duplicate programming?

How can they do that if they are going to offer both Sirius and XM? If they are merging shouldn't they combine? It don't really sound like the customer is going to get anything new.
they can't really do that at first.. they have to maintain 2 totally different satellite platforms ( XM uses GEO satellittes(like E* and D*).. sirius uses MEO satellite ( 3 satellites that rotate around north america in a figure 8 eliptical orbit), constantly moving)..

This is simply a way to try and counter the anti-merger voices out there.. Kevin Martin, the head of the FCC has been clamoring for a la carte and been slapped down at every opportunity by the media companies who like the current system just fine, thank you very much.....

Since the NAB wants to talk out of both sides of their mouth (say that they DON'T compete with XM/Sirius to try and emphasize the monopoly argument, while they tell their stockholders that they are locked in battle with them for ear-share along with IPods and other forms of audio entertainment), and try and claim the label of defender of the people (puh-leeze), the XM/Sirius folks have to try and score some sizable PR coups to try and decrease the chances of the feds shooting it down.

Ironically, there will only be one of them standing in 5 years anyway..... The market will kill one of them... If they allow it now, they get to at least dictate some terms....

I'm paying $26 a month for both...... I'd love to get a la carte to stop paying for ones I don't listen to and get them through one receiver....

Re:

they can't really do that at first.. they have to maintain 2 totally different satellite platforms ( XM uses GEO satellittes(like E* and D*).. sirius uses MEO satellite ( 3 satellites that rotate around north america in a figure 8 eliptical orbit), constantly moving)..

The press release said that with existing receivers sirius customers will be able to receive xm programming and vice versa. I'm not sure how they're going to do it but they apparantly are.

They are really confusing things. Just give me The Virus, The System, 80s, and the rock/hard rock stations for $5 per radio and we'll call me a happy customer. My wife and I pay for enough crap on XM we don't listen to. "Best of Sirius" obviously includes Stern, and you either love him or hate him. I hate him, so I probably will have no interest in that package for an extra $4/mo. True ala-carte doesn't start at 50 music stations.. try a package of select 10 or 20. Who actually listens to 50 of the music stations? My music taste isn't that broad!

The press release says the a la carte option will only be available to subscribers who purchase NEW radios, which will be developed following approval of the merger. So for the current subscribers like myself with two radios, in order to get the best of both services, my cost will INCREASE to $16.99.

Sounds like this is only a ploy to attract new subscribers.