Yahoo search page has taken over my computer!

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I have had Google web page set as a default Home Page for years. Last week Yahoo has taken over this. How do they do this? Better yet how do I force FF to use the Google home page rather than Yahoo?

I have uninstalled Yahoo tool bar and other Yahoo applications. yet Yahoo still comes up over Google since this past weekend.

Is the Yahoo home page showing in the Firefox options? When you installed the Yahoo toolbar it modified the home page. I hate toolbars, they change a lot of settings when you install them.

Tools >> Options >> General >> Home Page

No, the google is still in the home page default. I have uninstalled the Yahoo toolbar in my control panel yet it still shows up in place of my Google web page. However if I want Google page I click on the home button and it returns. It's just that each new tab opens with Yahoo when it used to open with Google.
Also, I've had Yahoo toolbar installed for months but this change just happened over the weekend. I didn't install anything or visit any different websites at that time.

it could be an edit to the host.ini file

run, malwarebytes, spybot search and destroy

if that doesnt work try combofix

and if it still isnt fix, you could try hijakthis, just be careful what you do with it

Is the Yahoo! toolbar crap a Firefox extension ? If so, it won't show in Add/Remove Programs, but in Firefox - Tools, Add-ons.

You can also remove and re-install the Google toolbar to get it to re-takeover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)