YES! 4DTV on W5 almost certain

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am not totally sold on the idea at this time as there are yet many questions left unanswered.
I spent some time fiddling with a spare receiver and even though the testing is over (that testing Motorola was doling) I am not completely satisfied since this could render the 920 & 922 receivers useless as a satellite changer and a FTA DCII receiver.
I have posted a few items here.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/4dtv-discussion/221526-channel-mapping-w5-time.html

Yeah, and I don't see DIY or Food.........well any of the Scripps pkg. That is a deal breaker for me.

Edit: I see some of the Scripps channels but not all.

Maybe Skyvision would have the Scripps channels moved over to W5, or let us keep the subscription like it is?
I hope so.

SkyVision Info

I called SkyVision today about the possibility of them getting additional channels like Fox News and Discovery after Motorola killed 4DTV and was told this was very unlikely. Comcast controls W5 and she said they were happy with the mix of programming being offered.

Also, I asked if I could just buy just any DSR-410 instead of their $129 one. She said if I did that I would have to get special permission from the manager and also pay an additional $40 activation fee if they agreed to let it in.

Lastly, I asked about using it with a 5 foot Channel Master fixed dish. She said it has been testing using a 4 foot dish and that the 4 footer had rain fade problems.

If you guys have different information please jump in.

I honestly think 6' would be minimum. A 7.5' or 8' would be most ideal. W5 is a hot bird but you still née the tighter beamwidth of a larger dish for the very best signal reliability. I like the channel line up on W5.

My 10' stays at 99% during hard rains. So there is a big difference in a larger dish buts it's good that a 6' will work. Saves space for some people.

TVROPro feel free to deliver that 10 footer to me. I could go for some stability on C Band.

TVROPro feel free to deliver that 10 footer to me. I could go for some stability on C Band.

I sold my 10 footer in 1989, Been with the 12 ever since :D Stability that is the 12 foot's Name :)

I was looking through the guide yesterday and noticed that The Weather Channel is mapped into the AI satellite. It would be pretty neat if we could subscribe to TWC via W5/AI.

I was looking through the guide yesterday and noticed that The Weather Channel is mapped into the AI satellite. It would be pretty neat if we could subscribe to TWC via W5/AI.

There are a few crazy things that were mapped into AI for the test. I hope Skyvision can convince Comcast to turn around a few channels, but in all honesty I don't think it will happen unless we can show a large interest with subscribers. Maybe if a very large percentage of the 18,000 subs left can switch to the W5/AI platform it may happen.

On a side note I called NPS yesterday just for the heck of it. (I like to see how they are acting towards all this) The CSR was bad mouthing Skyvision, the 4DTV and anything to do with C band including FTA. He also was spreading lies while preaching his Dish network promo such as Dish never lost any HD channels (Disney, XD, ABC Family, ESPN News) and saying the 410 package was $50.00 a month for 20 channels. NPS is being real sore losers to the whole Skyvision thing and is going to do EVERYTHING they can to cut the numbers as low as possible. That's pretty sad. :( They need to close their doors already and stop the bad mouthing so we can start to move forward again.

There are a few crazy things that were mapped into AI for the test. I hope Skyvision can convince Comcast to turn around a few channels, but in all honesty I don't think it will happen unless we can show a large interest with subscribers. Maybe if a very large percentage of the 18,000 subs left can switch to the W5/AI platform it may happen.

I think that if the programming is only on W5 (No BUD to move) that would be great to attract new blood into C band! :D

While talking to a few Dish(network) suckers recently, they seemed very interested in the channel lineup plus the lower costs! The fact that there are no charlie contracts was another plus too! It seems that most people would not mind a 6' or even a 7.5' in their backyard! Not too many seem to like BUDs that move but I think if they caught wind of FTA they would change their minds quickly! The only downfall is that how many people out there think that they need charlie to receive locals!!!... :eek:

W5's no contract pricing is what i really like. Any large company that has to put individual (non-company) consumers under a lengthy contract usually has a lot of catches and snags.
Look at the the pizza dish services and cell phone contracts. its ridiculous how they don't tell you everything. I won't do cell phone contracts ever again. I have had two major carriers mislead me (or i am too dumb to understand).

i just buy my phone outright then pay for the service monthly.
everyone needs to stop with the contracts. consumers need to refuse two year contracts.
they "early disconnect fees" etc are all wrong. when a service provider stops treating me like a good customer....my money stops there.

W5's no contract pricing is what i really like. Any large company that has to put individual (non-company) consumers under a lengthy contract usually has a lot of catches and snags.
Look at the the pizza dish services and cell phone contracts. its ridiculous how they don't tell you everything. I won't do cell phone contracts ever again. I have had two major carriers mislead me (or i am too dumb to understand).

i just buy my phone outright then pay for the service monthly.
everyone needs to stop with the contracts. consumers need to refuse two year contracts.
they "early disconnect fees" etc are all wrong. when a service provider stops treating me like a good customer....my money stops there.

Those contracts help to pay for those "free" receiver, dish, and "free" HD for life stuff. :rolleyes:

I would gladly pay upfront equipment costs instead of subsidized hardware. That's the problem with America....making things look cheaper using subsidies instead of revealing the real cost. If somebody can't afford the equipment upfront, they probably can't afford to be a loyal long term customer. Just like all these no downpayment home and car loans.

No long term 2 year contracts or automatic credit card payments for me either. Another trick they use is to increase the term back to the start with any changes done to the account. I would rather just purchase it instead of their "free" equipment.

Free is not Free especially with pizza. I have 6 DirecTv receivers I got for free and I cannot authorize any of them for one reason or another. I had to lease my D-11 to qualify for anything. My first year is a good price for what I get (choice $24.99 mo). The second year I will downgrade to the hidden family package $29.99 (which all I wanted originally) if they would have let me sub one of the STB's I had. So pizza ain't getting much of a leg up on me. :) Gotta know how to play them at their own game.

Well, I'm confused about all this stuff about authorizing the 4DTV for the Comcast stuff on W5. I have a DSR922 and I'm subscribed to SyFy on W5. If I understand what I've been reading, I'm not suppose to be able to subscribe to anything on W5. So what's the deal? I asked Skyvision about this but the response I got doesn't address my question.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)