yet another BUD newbie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ind224

Original poster
Sep 8, 2007
Unhappy with cable and DSS (yes 20 years too late for the real fun) I decided to get a 922 and see what is going on.

Got the system used from from KY and I'm in Indiana so not much to adjust.
In fact, I brought the pole with the concrete back with me, dug a hole, tossed it in put the dish up (thanks to Sue) and free channels oh boy. Basic package from NPS to get started.

Now the odd stuff. Why do I get so much cross talk? Not having the pole secure I realize I will not stay dead on but when I go to manually program sats and moving east, I have the 922 saying x sat and xx channel but it is not right I get something that should not be there. Are the adjacent sats strong enough to overload? The pic is viewable but you know it is not like the picture would be tuned properly at the right position.

WGN just wacked me (I'm sure it was personal ;) ) I watched one day before they went digital and NPS does not yet have a feed.

And what about ESPN? I called them to beg programming direct from them and they said can't due to blackout restrictions.

Why does it still sometimes come in and then go out? Tonight we were tuning around and an indicated c4 9 had the Yankees game on HD, a text box came up saying it was unavailable and it went out. A couple days ago she said she was watching Nascar Today and I could not believe it.

No hack here, just curious on the whys of what is happening.

Last thing, the guide. Should it be listing all sats and tp or just sats I have programmed? Does Motorola do the guide? I keep seeing AMC listed as G1 1 but they went to 701 (can't remember the sat).

Thanks a bunch for listening. My big scores will be NASA TV and Speed but I know the pole and dish will have to be A game to get the Ku.
Stu :)

You didnt say how big the dish is, so it's hard to say if the problems you have with interference may be from too-small dish, or just that you haven't secured it in concrete yet. Gotta get that pole plumb-take your level and check in 4 places, all around the pole. After you pour your concrete around it, of course. Prop it up, brace it, so it stays plumb while it hardens. You can't track the satellite arc without the pole being plumb, and level on the top. Tracking ku is even harder than c-band digital, that pole has to be right or you have major headaches. If you have at least an 8' dish you should be fine for c-/ku band, anything smaller and there are some places in the arc where you may get adjacent-satellite interference.
Yes WGN finally killed their c-band analog feed, knew it was coming but still hated it. Been watching them since the late 80's. (cubs games arent the same without harry!!!)
I think you have to tune your dish to the old Galaxy1 location (Gal15 now) to load the EPG info, and maybe to update the channel-maps for your 4DTV. Read all the posts here about 4D, you'll find most of your answers. And yes you discovered the ESPN curse, they decided they would stop selling to home-dish customers unless they were on Dish or Direct, blamed it on the 4dtv's shortcomings in being able to 'blackout' certain events. Add a digital free-to-air receiver to your setup, and you can still find lots of free sports, some of what they cover too. Good luck with your new system!

You do know you can reprogram it don't you? Go into Options, 6, 4, 4. With the up/down/right/left arrows you can highlight the one you want to program. Press Enter, arrow down to use the #2 Dish Position and the left right arrows to move the dish. Or, if you trust your actuator, use #3 and let it do all the work. When you have it as good as you think you can get it, Press Go Back, and then Press Save "??". Easy once you get used to it...

Al

X4 G4 or ???

Yes, even just throwing it together I have had it work so far.

The problem with programming the sats before the dish is set properly is the settings change with every sat change. I locked c4 g5 g1 but if I let it adjust all the sats then the limits keep me from getting back without having to adjust the limits.

Why the thing lets you go to program a sat then says no you can't because of some arbitrary limit that I never set. (based on what the last sat programmed was) Neat how the tuning panel fades out or dances with the picture....

I realize I need to start south and do the ends.

In the meantime, I cannot find where G4 X4 or whatever is being used for Speed. What is the proper name now and location?

The chart on the NPS site is lacking, the guide is outdated even as last nite still showing AMC on G1 1 but they are G3 701.

Thanks agin for the info.
Stu

You can change your limits and adjust the dish as best your can, once on the arc do a master reset and then you should be fine.

Galaxy-16 is G4 (c-band X4 (ku-band on the 4dtv, if you have a c/ku feed you are ok if not then you will be stuck with c only.

Limits can be set outside on the motor and inside on the 4dtv, it's best to set both, when the arm is moving in you can wait for it to stop on it's own but when you are setting the other limit keep an eye on the arm no to flop over.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts