Yet Another Error 775

Status
Please reply by conversation.

michituckygirl

Original poster
Mar 27, 2013
Chaplin, KY
I've read all the Error 775 posts, but I wanted to throw my issue into the lot because every circumstance seems to be unique.

My husband and I decided to mount our big screen up on the wall. To do so, we had to move things around. I unplugged everything from the receiver, and that was it. I never unplugged the cables or power cord from the SWiM.

Once everything was put back together, plugged back in and restarted, I received the 775 error stating there was a problem communicating with satellite. That is when I unplugged the SWiM and the receiver. Plugged in the SWiM first (as I read all the previous posts), and then plugged in the receiver. No change.

I then replaced the SWiM (purchased one from Amazon), repeated the reboot sequence and no change.

I'm waiting on a new splitter for the outside, but I really sincerely doubt that is it.

I've also cut the cables and replaced the ends (I thought perhaps they had been bent up from being plugged in so many times), but still no change.

I checked the splitter to make sure the cable coming from the left connection (red) was the same cable going into the SWiM. It is.

I also tried the non-DVR receiver and it has the same error. Otherwise, we are currently just a one TV setup. The small one is for my home office someday.

What is left is replacing the entire cable from splitter to SWiM or the splitter itself, and the lnb. No storms, nothing unplugged from there. Anything else would be flukey coincidence.

As I said in the beginning of post, only unplugged from receiver initially to move things around. I hate that this SWiM is so sensitive to change.

Any further advice would be so much appreciated!

Thank you,
Jamie

Make sure the cable from the power inserter the side that says to swim is going to the red side of the splitter. You can run your receiver from the other side of the power inserter.

Make sure the cable from the power inserter the side that says to swim is going to the red side of the splitter. You can run your receiver from the other side of the power inserter.

Yes, the Power to SWM is going to red connection of splitter and Signal to IRD is going to Input 1(swm) on receiver. Thanks for replying :)

I forgot to mention there was no change and it still does not work. Is there anything else I could be missing?

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

All cables are correct. To SWM is going to red side of splitter.
SWiM is good (replaced.)
Splitter is good (replaced.)
Some corrosion on ground, cleaned and reattached to dish base.
Removed 2nd cable coming from splitter that was going to nowhere and placed a cap (yellow side.)

Did everything, but replace lnb and cable running from splitter to SWiM. Still an error 775 (Cannot communicate with satellite.)

Theoretical question: This occurred when moving things around inside the house. We were watching Directv up to the point that I had to unplug it to move it. I didn't even unplug the SWiM until we began troubleshooting the problem. IF it is the LNB or even the cable from SWiM to splitter, how could this have happened so easily?

If you can get to the Menu's I would suggest run the " Repeat Sat Set Up" and take special care to see what IT shows in the Dish and SWM area.

With a SWM set up it should detect the correct setting right from the git go.

Sorry, no. Just bought 100' of new cable to rewire from SWM to splitter. And a short wire from SWM to receiver. Exasperated, but the only thing I'll miss tonight is Archer :) Tomorrow I will install all the new cable. If that doesn't do it, my gosh, it would HAVE to be the lnb right?

Thanks, Jimbo. I will do that this evening and list what it says. From memory it shows Dish Type: Slimline 5, then SWM and then Dual for tuner. Error message on bottom that says "Cannot detect SWM" and I've selected "Recheck SWM" several times. Thanks, again.

I think youir way over thinking this, but at least this way you learn about your system as you go.

You never did tell us ....

How many recvrs are you using in your set up and what models, this is very important.
HD or SD ?

We are currently only using the HR24-500 HD DVR for 1 TV, but we have an H25-700 for my future home office (not hooked up). When we began troubleshooting, I did swap out the receivers but received same error on the H25.

No doubt I am over-thinking. I just hate being charged for someone coming out and fixing what I could have done myself.

Thank you for all your help.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

My 775 Error Was Caused by a Bad LNB

Last Sunday I was watching a recorded program on my HR24, when suddenly the screen went black for a few seconds. When the system came back, there was a message that the system was resetting, and then the 775 error message appeared.

After fiddling around for an hour, I gave up and called DTV. The support person had me do various things, but ultimately he decided that I needed a technician to come out and take a look.

A technician showed up the next morning, two hours early (Yay!), and he determined that the problem was caused by a defective LNB, so that might be the cause of your problem. The fact that it happened after you rearranged your TV is suspicious, but the word 'coincidental' was devised for a reason.

Now for my mini-rant. In the 14 years that i was with Dish Network, I had to replace only one defective LNB. With DTV, I had a defective LNB after only 7 months, which meant either spending $49.95 for a service call, or signing up for a protection plan at $5.99 month, which partially negates one of my reasons for switching from Dish to DTV: to save a little money. Hopefully this was not an indication of the quality -- or lack of -- of DTV equipment. End of mini-rant.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread.

Richard

Last Sunday I was watching a recorded program on my HR24, when suddenly the screen went black for a few seconds. When the system came back, there was a message that the system was resetting, and then the 775 error message appeared.

After fiddling around for an hour, I gave up and called DTV. The support person had me do various things, but ultimately he decided that I needed a technician to come out and take a look.

A technician showed up the next morning, two hours early (Yay!), and he determined that the problem was caused by a defective LNB, so that might be the cause of your problem. The fact that it happened after you rearranged your TV is suspicious, but the word 'coincidental' was devised for a reason.

Now for my mini-rant. In the 14 years that i was with Dish Network, I had to replace only one defective LNB. With DTV, I had a defective LNB after only 7 months, which meant either spending $49.95 for a service call, or signing up for a protection plan at $5.99 month, which partially negates one of my reasons for switching from Dish to DTV: to save a little money. Hopefully this was not an indication of the quality -- or lack of -- of DTV equipment. End of mini-rant.

Sorry for sort of hijacking the thread.

Richard

Where are you located ?

Awhile back there was a rash of bad LNB's due to them not handling Cold weather, but that has since been rectified, I would imagine a new batch or vendor.

Where are you located ?

Awhile back there was a rash of bad LNB's due to them not handling Cold weather, but that has since been rectified, I would imagine a new batch or vendor.

I'm north of Tucson, Arizona. We did have an especially cold winter -- not like one of your Ohio winters, but it was quite cold. However, recently the temperatures have been in the 70's and 80's.

I'm north of Tucson, Arizona. We did have an especially cold winter -- not like one of your Ohio winters, but it was quite cold. However, recently the temperatures have been in the 70's and 80's.

I doubt that this issue is still happening though, this was from getting cold over night and warming during the day.
Don't think you get cold enough over nights.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)